Author Topic: INDIANA NEEDS HELP....ICE SHANTY.com BEING BASHED!!  (Read 12999 times)

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
Re: INDIANA NEEDS HELP....ICE SHANTY.com BEING BASHED!!
« Reply #30 on: Mar 15, 2008, 02:59 PM »
Makes me think back to when all the negative publicity went out regarding Rock & Roll music and the fact that it will never last ... ;)
Iceshanty.com has left it's proverbial mark !!!

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Mar 15, 2008, 03:03 PM »
after debating 30 some pages on the God and fishin thread to get me primed I believe ill send a friendly email to the author...  ;D ;D
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Mar 15, 2008, 05:11 PM »
Poorcollegeboy,
Take it easy on him...he's not very bright.......small words!
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bridgedoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Mar 15, 2008, 05:41 PM »
Here is my comment I sent to Mr. Phillips:

" Mr. Phillips, were I not educated or were I an animal rights activist, my comment to you would be one of flattery. However, no matter the number of times I read/pondered your words, I arrived at the same conclusion. Your logic is flawed & deceptive. Your premise conflicts with your The Pill analogy. Empathy through commonality is an old trick. Linking fish to humanity is deception. You could have had a fine little article had you stayed within the constructs of your premise. "

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Mar 15, 2008, 08:49 PM »
Poorcollegeboy,
Take it easy on him...he's not very bright.......small words!
RG
Maybe ill write it in childrens book terminology complete with illustrations....hahha

thanks for the advice

Offline jabrone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:16 PM »
"Glorified flyfisherman"

Offline Crookedlake92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:32 PM »
Would'nt suprise me if ShantyBasher and Mr(s) ;D Phillips were one in the same.
Or married...... ;) Wait, he said he had children.......

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2008, 09:37 PM »
[email protected]
the above link is to the ceo/president of the paper
[email protected]
she is the outdoor editor

when on the story click on the "about us" (upper right corner) ....these are the people who matter not mr phillips!

i have recieved no email response as of yet....anyone else?  maybe he will find them on monday.

thanks and pass the word
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2008, 10:50 PM »
This breaking news....!! Just in.....did everyone here the news Phillips the "writer" has just flipped over to peta. He is no longer a fisherman.

woopie do da, who would 'ave seen that one coming after his "dead fish" mantra? What did the dumb a-- think? People eat live fish?

He's an idiot.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Striper/White Bass, 3+lbs, Put back down the hole
« Reply #39 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:00 AM »
My contribution...

Mr Phillips,
    Today, I read your article on "Icefishermen tell tale of two anglers", in the e-zine FWDailynews.com.  I do not understand how you can have a conversation through email, with one angler, "jon", but, not have any conversation, regardless of the means, with the other 2 anglers you write about.  It appears that you made a mistake in adding IceShanty.com to your article, & apparently not making an effort to contact IceShanty.coms' Administrator, or any of the members who act as moderators, and ask them about their views on this subject. In addition,  you apparently didn't contact an authority from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources asking about their viewpoint on this subject ,either. It seems to this reader, after not doing anything other that conversing thru email, with someone who seems to share "your" views... "jon".  You then write an article, which should be more accurately described as "your opinion", basing the whole article on a "one-sided" viewpoint, namely ,  your "viewpoint".  I would think that you , by the writing of this opinionated, one-sided article, have shown a lack of "ethics" yourself. What kind of professional journalist, would write an article about a possible lack of "morals" & "ethics", & then not get the views on the subject, by all parties involved. An "ethical" one? I doubt it. By not allowing all the parties involved to make their views known, you have shown a lack of respect for those parties & have only caused yourself to appear as a biased, uninformed, opinionated, person.  Maybe another columnist should write an unbiased, informed, unopinionated article, about journalists who write one-sided stories & pass them off as covering the "whole story". They may be able to use your article as an example. It's unfortunate that you wrote this article like you did. I have a suggestion. Try writing another article, as a "follow up", to your "Icefishermen tell tale of two anglers" article, & get all the facts & all sides of the story.... and in addition, after some self-contemplation, maybe an apology, or retraction for being "one-sided".  Unless of course, "jon"s and your side are the only side to this.... Then we will really know what kind of a columnist you are, won't we?

Respectfully Yours,
If any is due,

MnSportsman
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Good Luck!! &  "Watch Your Bobber!"

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:05 AM »
From the FWDailynews.com....
"Your comment has been submitted and will be viewable once it is approved."

I wonder if it will be approved?
   - My Best Hunting & Fishing partner..... 21,Jan.98 - 8,May.07......RIP... We'll be together again.... 

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #41 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:10 AM »
try the "about us" link as the outdoor editor, cindy. and the ceo's email links are open. ;)
MN....NICE!!
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline gillkiller1125

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ahhhh.......... Ice
« Reply #42 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:18 AM »
i cant believe someone would be so stupid to write something like that i know for a fact that once in his life he has kept over his limit of trout. these folks here were not at fault as there is no bag limit on the fish. i smell jealousy with a hint of PETA!!!!!! >:( >:(
Kids who hunt, fish, and trap, don't mug little old ladies.
Good luck, and tight lines to all.
Official Stomach of the MIRC

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Mar 16, 2008, 09:55 AM »
Here is what I emailed to Mr. Phillips, and CC to the editor and outdoors editor.

Mr. Phillips,

After reading your article "Icefishermen tell tale of two anglers" I must say I am throughly disgusted at your approach to the events you describe.  Because the anglers who participated in the "Perch Palooza" kept a large quantity of fish, you seem to have the misunderstanding that they are wasteful fish hungry slobs.  You imply that because they do not follow your personal guidelines to keeping fish that they must be doing harm to the environment and give a bad name to sportsmen.  I disagree however, I believe you are the one giving the bad name to sportsman.  Just because an individual keeps more fish than he/she can consume in one sitting does that mean they should not keep them?  Your article certainly implies so.  Should a deer hunter no longer hunt because a deer has more meat than they could possibly consume in one sitting?  I dont know about in your neck of the woods, but where I come from we have large metal boxes that keep things cold and frozen.  They even store food for long periods of time.

In your article, your journalism failed to uncover the details of the situation and is something that would not be fit for the tabloids.  Your yellow journalism tactics only corrupt and encourage the non sportsmen to fight against what we have fought towards for decades.  You claim to be a sportsman yourself, yet you show no sense in the meaning of the word.

You also twist and distort other biological events, implying that anyone on birth control must be so in order to have sexual encounters.  Most young girls that start birth control do so in order to regulate their menstrual cycle and not because their parents encourage to participate in sex acts with no regard.  Not only do you clearly not have a solid background in biology, but in ethics and responsibility.  You try to apply a sound concept of fisheries biology (which you clearly distorted) and personify it to a code of ethics followed by you and other antis.

Next time, before bashing sportsmen that do not have your viewpoint and the largest Ice Fishing website on the continent I suggest you get your facts straight and do some research.  Try taking a journalism class to learn how that works.

PCB

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #44 on: Mar 16, 2008, 10:12 AM »
He expressed his opinion and I give him credit for saying what's on his mind. I wonder if he is giving equal credit for us expressing ours? Some folks don't like the fact that this freedom of speech thing is a two way street.   :-\

NBG

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 16, 2008, 03:05 PM »
Unfortunately he can simply delete the emails that he doesn't like to read but the article has already been published and read by impressionable people and something probably should be written into the paper that at least shows some sort of explanation/view for the other side of the story.

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:17 PM »
Mr. Phillips' articles also appear in the Goshen News.  Here is the editor's email address :

[email protected]

The same article appeared last Sunday March 9th in the Goshen paper.  It appears they did not see fit to put it on their website http://www.goshennews.com.

Feel free to let the editor of this paper know your feelings about Mr. Phillips lack of responsible journalism.

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #47 on: Mar 16, 2008, 08:46 PM »
My contribution...

Mr Phillips,
    Today, I read your article on "Icefishermen tell tale of two anglers", in the e-zine FWDailynews.com.  I do not understand how you can have a conversation through email, with one angler, "jon", but, not have any conversation, regardless of the means, with the other 2 anglers you write about.  It appears that you made a mistake in adding IceShanty.com to your article, & apparently not making an effort to contact IceShanty.coms' Administrator, or any of the members who act as moderators, and ask them about their views on this subject. In addition,  you apparently didn't contact an authority from the Indiana Department of Natural Resources asking about their viewpoint on this subject ,either. It seems to this reader, after not doing anything other that conversing thru email, with someone who seems to share "your" views... "jon".  You then write an article, which should be more accurately described as "your opinion", basing the whole article on a "one-sided" viewpoint, namely ,  your "viewpoint".  I would think that you , by the writing of this opinionated, one-sided article, have shown a lack of "ethics" yourself. What kind of professional journalist, would write an article about a possible lack of "morals" & "ethics", & then not get the views on the subject, by all parties involved. An "ethical" one? I doubt it. By not allowing all the parties involved to make their views known, you have shown a lack of respect for those parties & have only caused yourself to appear as a biased, uninformed, opinionated, person.  Maybe another columnist should write an unbiased, informed, unopinionated article, about journalists who write one-sided stories & pass them off as covering the "whole story". They may be able to use your article as an example. It's unfortunate that you wrote this article like you did. I have a suggestion. Try writing another article, as a "follow up", to your "Icefishermen tell tale of two anglers" article, & get all the facts & all sides of the story.... and in addition, after some self-contemplation, maybe an apology, or retraction for being "one-sided".  Unless of course, "jon"s and your side are the only side to this.... Then we will really know what kind of a columnist you are, won't we?

Respectfully Yours,
If any is due,

MnSportsman
i think you covered all the bases with that one.could not have said it better ;D this ignorance calls for an educated responce like yours ;)looks like bush to me good choice ;D

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #48 on: Mar 17, 2008, 02:52 AM »
wow thats all i can really say......i left them a note of my own......as long as the fish were taken care of properly then big deal i think that people should be able to feed their families and whatever else they need to do through nature thats why there are animals in this world for people like us fisherman that control the population of fish and have a great time doing it so i say alright wish i coulda been with to catch a bunch myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:09 AM »
left my comment!

steve

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #50 on: Mar 17, 2008, 02:52 PM »
If by chance there is a article written to address all the post we have made to this newspaper and reporter could one of you guys from Indiana please post it here or fishfinder.com. I am curious to see if this newspaper will correct its wrong. Thanks.......John
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #51 on: Mar 17, 2008, 03:37 PM »
i responded, without being vulger. didn't know i could do that!!! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:17 PM »
I responded to the article on the 14 I used Ice Dogg as my name not the name I have here.  However I am wondering if we should let this die because Mr. Phillips is getting alot of attention from this and it creates "ratings" for him and his articles.  Which in my opinion he does not deserve............. :tipup:

JM2C

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Mar 17, 2008, 07:24 PM »
ICE DOG 69,
   Since Mr Philips didn't allow any other views than "jon" & his own opinion to come to view in the article. I think it is most appropriate that other readers of his article have the chance to see what others have to say about "jon & Mr. Phillips "view".

That , of course, is my take on the situation, although I can see your "way of thinking".
    I noticed that there are many replies that are against his articles' misguided "point" & if I am not mistaken.... only two, that are in agreement with "jon" & Mr. Philips at this time...

I hope that he, & the people that pay for his column, see that aspect also.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Mar 17, 2008, 10:05 PM »
Left my 2 cents  ;D ;D
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #55 on: Mar 18, 2008, 09:55 AM »
I'm a little surprised that they published my last comment. I think someone over there is a little proud of the reaction this artical has drawn.

NBG

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:16 AM »
Lobes,
I'm curious , what make you think someone is proud? Or who might be?

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #57 on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Lobes,
I'm curious , what make you think someone is proud? Or who might be?

Sounds to me like who ever screens the responses from this newspaper are encouraging a little rabble rousing. Just based on comments that have been thrown around on this article.
My thought is, my last comment was presented much the same way I float a nightcrawler past the nose of a highly agressive brook trout ...

NBG

Offline MnSportsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:31 AM »
I understand.... It will be interesting, for sure. ;)

I am hoping for an email from Mr. Philips. I provided one....

Offline brewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:52 AM »
Sounds to me like who ever screens the responses from this newspaper are encouraging a little rabble rousing. Just based on comments that have been thrown around on this article.
My thought is, my last comment was presented much the same way I float a nightcrawler past the nose of a highly agressive brook trout ...

NBG

Sure, they probably like the increased traffic to their web site.  Lord knows that the quality of their journalism isn't attracting readers. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.