Author Topic: Down the hole it went  (Read 11548 times)

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
Down the hole it went
« on: Oct 27, 2003, 12:52 PM »
I was just wondering,has anyone ever dropped
anything down there ice fishing hole & if so were
you able to recover it.  For me,3 poles & a soup spoon.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Jam_Jam

Re:Down the hole it went
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2003, 12:57 PM »
Anyone ever have their line touch the heater breaking the line and sending the jig to the bottom.  My buddy had it happen to him and I laughed my butt off...then it happened to me a couple of trips later...I know I know poetic justice :)  Got me to thinking that it probably happens alot.  

I learned how fast a hammer sinks last year but otherwise I've been pretty lucky with the ice gods.

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2003, 01:02 PM »
Well let's see : ice skimmer, lighters, jigs, etc. >:(. I learned the hard way not to lay things on the ice and near the hole. Also don't keep items in your front shirt pockets  :o. I'm happy to say I haven't done this in quite a few years now ! Live and learn  ;).
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2003, 01:25 PM »
That sounds like a good place for my cell phone out of my shirt pocket. Thanks for reminding me. I already ruined one this year jumping in waist deep water out of the boat.
My wife would really love me if i did it in winter too! :P

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2003, 01:39 PM »
Lost a leatherman knife down my hole at a derby. Went back the next day and retrieved it with the help of my Aqua-view and a big magnet. Had to drill lots of holes around the original one till I spotted it.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2003, 01:51 PM »
My absolute final trip out last year,  I stood up out of my fishtrap and flipped my cool telescoping ice skimmer off of the seat - you guessed it - slam dunk, nothing but net, right into the hole.  

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2003, 01:52 PM »
I was sight fishing perch at Sodus in 10fow when the lens popped out of my glasses AND "down the hole it went".

Then I was sightless fishing perch at Sodus.

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2003, 02:47 PM »
Let's see.

Short list: Cellphone, light, Vexilar battery.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2003, 03:15 PM »
One of the very rare times I used tip-ups, I was checking them at night and I dropped the flashlight. It's amazing how a 6" hole can collect something with all that solid ice around it. It lit up my minnow all night long as it landed and remained on the butt of the flashlight.
Pete Lewis

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2003, 03:37 PM »
Let's see now, 1 zippo lighter, assorted hooks and split shot, untold amount of depth checkers, and yes, even the magnet i carried to retreive such items lost through the hole.  :(

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2003, 04:38 PM »
Wing-nut that held my telescopic arm for my transducer to the side of my Flasher box.
My friend dropped his colmen lantern down a hole, and retrieved it.
Lots of split-shots.
Jigs, after the line touched the lantern.
Lots of spikes.
Fish flippin' on floor, into hole, some were retrieved, but my arm was froze up to my arm pit :P

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 27, 2003, 04:44 PM »
One year my father and I were ice fishing for Crappies all by ourselves on a lake. Needless to say the keys for the truck dropped down the hole and we had to stay on the lake until 6:30 the following morning and wait for another fisherman to give us a ride home to get a spare set of keys. good thing we had a warm shack and plenty of propane. Oh, the crappies didn't cooperate either.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline Da_Roc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez! Ya hve to hunt them to catch em
« Reply #12 on: Oct 27, 2003, 05:51 PM »
Hi Gang!
     I carry a small magnet with me to retrieve lose stuff Its little but is powerful it out of a car speaker.  I got back two rods and alot of jigs with that magnet.  I guess we all drop something in the hole i know I do!
     Da-Roc

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 27, 2003, 07:14 PM »
Hey,

Plenty of items loaned to the fish by this guy, but the one that really stands out is the brand new Baitcaster I bought and thought I was cool doing it backhanded and threw the pole in the lake.  It was too cold to jump in after it and I couldn't dredge it. ::) :-[
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline John_Boy

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Give me ice or give me death !!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 27, 2003, 07:28 PM »
hi folks
i had just purchased my new cabelas ice shanty kit .
went to the lake drilled my holes.pulled my shanty over top
of the holes, then proceeded to set up my shanty. the very first thing i did was dropped my corner pole right down
the hole. that kinda ruined my first night with my new shanty.

crappieman6

« Reply #15 on: Oct 27, 2003, 07:30 PM »
Wow!=You just gave me a idea. My new Aqua veiw might pay for it self this year, due to all the items that went down the ice hole! When the fish are not biting I will go checking out all the holes that fisherman left and went home.
Thanks for a new way to go treasure hunting.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2003, 10:23 AM »
I've "dropped the kids off at the pool" a couple times in the hole. ;D ;D :o

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2003, 10:58 AM »
Wow, Vancouver!  I'd hate to be the guy that drilled that up!  I hope there weren't any floaters.

All I have lost to date is some food, an ice scoop, and a couple of perch.

Fishmon

« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2003, 01:01 PM »
My absolute worst was knocking a huge lake trout off with a gaff.  My buddy was speechless. This was after his junk reel failed and he handlined the beast back to the hole. Second worst  was the only hockey puck we had for a little 3 on 3 pond hockey.  Boy that ticked off everybody!  Other than that, just the usual sunglasses, skimmers, a flashlight, and a polar tipup that decided to go for a swim in 80 feet of water.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2003, 02:40 PM »
lost a boot when i stepped in a 10" hole
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2003, 05:40 PM »
many lighters and a cell phone
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2003, 07:56 PM »
Pretty much the usual all items like everyone else. We did however experience one of ice fishing's greatest losses one trip.  We HAD a nice mesh bag we dropped down a 10" hole with our beer to keep them from freezing.  It had a dowel tied to the end of the rope so it wouldn't fall through.  Well our buddy Stumble Bumb gets a flag, takes off running and kicks the dowel.  I don't think I need to go any further :(.  Vancouver,  did you send the kids "school papers" with them?  
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2003, 03:11 PM »
Years ago fishing with my father on Winnsquam in NH, my cousin "borrowed" my father's new wide bladed WINNI chisel to chip some ice around the holes already cut(without putting her arm through the leather throng my father had attached to the end) Down the hole it went in 60ft of water.Well for the next month my father always would cut a number of extra holes and use a home made gappling hook and try and snag that chisel - would you believe it , he finally did it! That was over 30 years ago and I still think of that inicident,wnenever I forget to use the throng that is still on THAT special chisel.
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #23 on: Oct 29, 2003, 03:15 PM »
Went out last year with a brand new FRS radio. I bent over to skim the very first hole of the day and down it went. Perfectly in the middle of the hole.

Jon
Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

mngonefishing

« Reply #24 on: Oct 29, 2003, 03:42 PM »
I have lost quite a few items. the main one was a cell phone. the summer before my wife said that she was going to throw it over board if i didn't turn it off. that winter my daugther lost a fish. (she was 4 yr old) she was upset when she came over. i told her that is part of fishing that you just cant catch them all. she kicked the bucket and yep you got it, over the bucket went the cell phone skidded across the ice and down a hole. it was only in about 9 ft of water. we enlarged the hole got a landing net from the boat house. duct taped a 2x2 on to it and went fishing. 10 min. later we had a cell phone. never realy worked again but at least the battery isn't sitting on the bottem of the lake

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #25 on: Oct 29, 2003, 07:12 PM »
The most memorable was a skimmer. My brother in law and I had three of the kids with us. we hammered pickeral all day at his famlies camp. We saved all the fish in a live well drilled into the ice. After all the pics at the end of the day we released the fish back down the hole. One turned in the hole, Krissy,all of four takes the chipper dipper and pushes the fish down the hole and you got it. Down went the dipper. I still tease her asking if she found it yet.The smile is worth it. ;)

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #26 on: Oct 29, 2003, 07:23 PM »
My best one - kid's don't try this at home.  Fishing on a back-water bay on a WI flowage sometime in mid-late November.  I meant to stick the spud in the ice after banging out a couple new holes.  You know how it is, you drive the spud in and let it stand there till you need it again.  Anyway, I drove the spud down and let go.  It ended up sticking out of the mud 7 feet down.  No, I'm not superman - the ice was pretty thin.  The kind of thin where you don't get within 5 yards of your fishing buddy.  Anyway, with the help of somebody's tomato cage (sorry for stealing from your garden, whoever you are) I managed to fashion a hook and fish the spud out of the mud.  Good thing it stayed standing up.  All that, and the fishing was still lousy.

kerosene

"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #27 on: Oct 29, 2003, 07:29 PM »
Hey Cooley - forgot to ask, how'd you pick your user name?  Based on a lake maybe?  We might have fished together before and don'even know it.

kerosene
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2003, 08:43 AM »
 I've lost many things. The most memorable was a new remote tip-up buzzer. One part was on the tip-up the remote was carried with you. When your flag went up the remote buzzed. I'd just gotten it for christmas.  Set my tip-up and went back to fish another hole for gills. I bent over to clean out the hole, and the remote came out of my ice suit chest pocket and "Down the hole it went"!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2003, 09:30 AM »
Hey Kerosenecounty 17,to answer your question,
its short for my last name,just a nick name ,just happens so the lake behind my house is called
Cooley lake.
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.