Author Topic: Circle hooks  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
Circle hooks
« on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:59 AM »
I use deadsticks with bait runner reels on a homemade flag system with live bait for lakers. I am mostly a catch and release fisherman am unless I keep 1 for dinner. I am trying to kill less fish removing hooks and am going to try circle hooks this year. Anyone else switched to circle on their tip ups or dead sticks, any advice on it? If I miss a few more fish it isn't a big deal.

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
Re: Circle hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:11 AM »
Rubber bands

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:14 AM »
i use offset circle hooks in 1/0 to 3/0 on my tipups for pike.they work great and hooks them right in the corner off the mouth.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:30 AM »
I use circle hooks whenever I’m using live bait on a set line. Trick is to get the right size hooks for the fish your catching. If the hook is too small it can still hook deep instead of sliding out of the throat. Like for trout up to 12” I’ll use size 6-4, on bigger trout I use 2 or 1. Other than hook size, the thing to remember is don’t set the hook like you normally do. When you feel the fish pulling on the line, just apply steady pressure and start reeling or pulling it in.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:40 AM »
Nice video...might have to try the rubber band trick

Offline 0311USMC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:48 AM »

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2017, 09:51 AM »
I have always used treble hooks, might try switching to some circles to see if it makes a difference
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Buckmaster7600

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2017, 02:59 PM »
Hopefully if the weather holds I'll be able to report after next weekend.

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2017, 06:14 PM »
I always use circle hooks in current, love them for cats and stripers. hate them in ice fishing. Tried for almost a full year and lost more fish than ever! I now use regular octopus hooks and have no problems with deep hooking.,
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:07 PM »
I am taking the advice of a seasoned veteran and switching from treble hooks and wire leader to 15# test fluoro and these hooks in 3/0 on my pike tip-ups this season. Claims he has never lost a pike using this set up so...http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1036
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 16, 2017, 07:14 PM »

[/quote]
I am taking the advice of a seasoned veteran and switching from treble hooks and wire leader to 15# test fluoro and these hooks in 3/0 on my pike tip-ups this season. Claims he has never lost a pike using this set up so...http://www.gamakatsu.com/fishing-hooks.php?pid=1036
That just seems like a recipe for heartbreak and frustration. But as they say "one man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog".
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Papa Sly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:20 PM »
You will lose a lot less than with circle hooks I guarantee that. I would switch to Seaguar 30# or larger flouro leader material though.
A bad day of ice fishing is better than any day at work!
http://i.imgur.com/dIEANML.jpg?1

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 16, 2017, 08:47 PM »
Instead of a deadstick I run the self setting rod holders.
Lip hooks everytime for me and easy to release.
Circle hooks work good at times but I have seen larger fish swallow entire setups and we had to fillet it to get the hook back.
Fortunately we had intended on keeping the fish anyway.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:30 PM »
I find most people have trouble with circle hooks gut hooking, or losing fish is because they use too small of a hook (or not using true inline circles) or are setting the hook wrong. I usually recommend going up two or three sizes (which makes working with live bait a problem at times) from what you’d usually use for the target. Then when it comes to getting the hook to work, you don’t set the hook. The idea is to have enough tension and pull on the line to slide the line out of the mouth and pull the hook with it. If you go with too small of a hook and the bait is swallowed, the esophagus of the fish will have too much slack around the hook and allow it to grab ahold. If you jerk on the line like you do with a J hook, you usually just yank the hook out of the mouth without letting it rotate in the corner of the lip like it’s designed too. When you get to your trap/line, it’s best to wait for the fish to start pulling line, then just pinch or close the bail on the line and allow the fish to hook itself as it swims away. Then just start pulling or reeling in the fish as usual. With live baitfish, I usually hook it just behind the dorsal so the hook can rip out and be clear once there’s pressure pulling on it.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2017, 11:32 PM »
Two things I never had any good results out of are red colored hooks and circle hooks.
Thread killer

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #15 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:22 AM »
another  thing I will add is you must snell knot  circle hooks.that way it will  cam right  into the fishs mouth.all  other knots will  let it swivel on the line left, rigt and up,down.and don't be afraid too use larger circles like someone mentioned. a little test to see if it going to work I put your leader with circle hook in between your thumb and finger and  pull the leader hook setup thru them. it should cam right into the corner of your hand just like a fishes mouth.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:26 AM »
That just seems like a recipe for heartbreak and frustration. But as they say "one man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog".
use the exact same setup for lakers and musky. never had a bite off or stolen bait. as long as you don't put pressure on the line until the hooks in the corner of the mouth, they can't bite you off. the rubber band trick works perfect with this setup. i give them about 2 arms length /12ft. to run. any more you get gut hooked fish.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:29 AM »
take that back. i use 3/0 gamagatzu inline circle hooks.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:30 AM »
I do ok with big eagle claw hooks, much difference and how?
Thread killer

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #19 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:32 AM »
take that back. i use 3/0 gamagatzu inline circle hooks.
ive had better results with offset circles but I use these also.i have better hookup ratio with offset circles.i bent my hook shank to make my inline circles offset.much better hookup ratio.never had a gut hooked fish of any species.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:09 PM »
use the exact same setup for lakers and musky. never had a bite off or stolen bait. as long as you don't put pressure on the line until the hooks in the corner of the mouth, they can't bite you off. the rubber band trick works perfect with this setup. i give them about 2 arms length /12ft. to run. any more you get gut hooked fish.
I'm a big fan of circle hooks for saltwater and cats but with Northern and their long snouts, the hook needs to be well and truly past the jaw hinge for it to have a chance to catch the corner. Also, as Dr. Speckler discusses, if the hook is in the throat "backwards", it's just going to pull right on back out without penetration. I also like the concept of the rubber band trick but if Mr. Pike still has the bait out by his nose at the 12' mark then you're putting 15# fluoro leader up against those teeth. I know how I'm betting.
Still, if you've had success with that rig there's no reason to change. Carry on and good fishing.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #21 on: Dec 17, 2017, 01:49 PM »
Rubber band trick works very well . If the fish is taking line it is facing away from the hole swimming away with the line coming out of the corner of there mouth on one side or the other . When they get to the rubber band it slowly adds tension to the line and drags  hook out the corner of there mouth if it starts up by there nose or back in there throat it still drags out the corner.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:23 PM »
Rubber band trick works very well . If the fish is taking line it is facing away from the hole swimming away with the line coming out of the corner of there mouth on one side or the other . When they get to the rubber band it slowly adds tension to the line and drags  hook out the corner of there mouth weather it starts up by there nose or back in there throat it still drags out the corner.

What if the rubber band doesn't break?
Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to ice fish, have his wife mad for ever.

Offline Stickhick86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 17, 2017, 06:31 PM »
What if instead of using a rubber band you wrapped the line up backwards on itself so when the fish is running, the spool has to stop and go the other direction, and when it stops it sets the hook?

Offline GasBlaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Welcomes green fish
« Reply #24 on: Dec 17, 2017, 08:01 PM »
What if the rubber band doesn't break?

Most of the time it won't break . You can see when you get to the tip up your rubber band will be stretching out and bouncing back , stretching out and bouncing back over and over again as the fish is fighting to get away just setting the hook deeper and deeper each time .

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:17 PM »
Most of the time it won't break . You can see when you get to the tip up your rubber band will be stretching out and bouncing back , stretching out and bouncing back over and over again as the fish is fighting to get away just setting the hook deeper and deeper each time .
The rubber band idea sounds very much like a winning rig. I use a similar principle with catfish set lines, except I use a bungie cord to soft set the circle hooks. I guess my only beef with this setup would be with the 15 lb. fluoro leader for Northern. Seems dicey. If they can't see the fluoro anyway, or aren't line shy, why not jump up to 40 lb or even heavier. I'm a wire guy anyway and knot2kinky at that, based on my preference. Just think you should give them no chance at all to beat you.
Take a look at Owner Mutu circle hooks and Trokar circle hooks. They can hurt you just seeing them in the package.
Happy hunting.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Open-Handed Fish Slap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:43 PM »
I use circle hooks whenever I’m using live bait on a set line. Trick is to get the right size hooks for the fish your catching. Other than hook size, the thing to remember is don’t set the hook like you normally do. When you feel the fish pulling on the line, just apply steady pressure and start reeling or pulling it in. 

Bingo!  (right size hook for the size of bait too) Pair that with some patience and you're good to go, corner of the mouth all the time.
It's like tailgating with the possibility of catching a fish!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:58 PM »
Bingo!  (right size hook for the size of bait too) Pair that with some patience and you're good to go, corner of the mouth all the time.

Keep these in mind when running live bait with circles for Pike. I've caught my three largest pike, my largest walleye and 90% of my largest Musky running circles.

1) Match your bait to the hook and the hook to the leader. I run 50 lb fluro and use 2/0-3/0 circles and 6-9" suckers. You don't want to run leaders that are so thick they take away action from your live bait. The entire premise around circle fishing is giving the Pike as much of a natural presentation as possible.

2) I'm not going to hijack a thread, but in my experience, I found that running offset circles will lead to more gut hooking. If I buy offset circles and pound them flat. In Wisconsin it's now illegal to run offset circle hooks on any bait 8" or greater.

Offline mono_mono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 18, 2017, 12:59 PM »
Any chance this discussion is getting a little to scientific/complicated? That or I learned something new today....
Go to Heaven for the climate, to hell for the company!

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 18, 2017, 01:52 PM »
The science is in the mechanics of how a circle hook works. It takes a bit more thought than just grabbing a hook and hoping for the best. It doesn’t help when there isn’t a standard sizing between brands, and lack of education on how the product is suppose to work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.