Author Topic: shanty protection  (Read 12418 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
shanty protection
« on: Nov 16, 2005, 11:34 AM »
hey guys, i was just wondering about shanty protection. whether you guys use a skimmer or a chipper or if you have your CHL. i usually bring along my S&W 586 .357 mag when i sleep out in the shanty. "better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it."

any comments?

-Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: shanty protection
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2005, 11:53 AM »
lol. i carry anywhere i can. fishing, hunting, even down to the corner store. one great thing about New Hampshire is you can carry almost anywhere and signs dont affect you unless the manager asks you to leave. gotta love NH!

-Dave
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2005, 11:53 AM »
Man Big Dawg.......you are definitely the wrong shanty to accidentally wander into :o

Do you ask your intruder..........Do you feel lucky? ;)

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline tommyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2005, 11:58 AM »
Wow, I thought this post was going to be about scotch-guard.  Rock on, Big Dawg.  It's nice to hear of people that are allowed to flaunt the 2nd Amendment as much as the 1st.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:02 PM »
No carry and conceal here.  That said most times of the year I do have a gun in the truck whether it is my trap gun, a hunting rifle, or a .22 for plinking.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:20 PM »
and get this guys. ready for this?  YOU CAN LEGALLY OPEN CARRY A HANDGUN!!!  although i wouldnt in manchester/concord or any other cities but in the boondocks, do it up! one more thing, a semi-auto .40, ya think it would freeze up some how in below 0 temps? Ive thought about carrying that as it is a 13+1 compared to the 6 shot. just a thought.

-Dave

Offline pletch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:38 PM »
PROTECTION! Protection from what! I have not met anyone on the ice that I would'nt invite home for dinner let alone worry about packin a pistol! I'm at a loss for why you felt the need to post this.
ice is your friend

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:45 PM »
to each his own...and you are certainly within your right to bear arms. honestly i have never felt the need, but i almost always have kids with me and have never had an altercation that would make me wish otherwise. i have however heard stories to the contrary!! so if ya hear me screamin like a little girl...come help me out and dont forget your pistola~

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2005, 12:58 PM »
That's the scary part of life, you never know when some deranged moron may come looking for a fight!! I personally only carry a pistola (9mm or .357mag) when I am way out in the boonies. More power to you if you can carry wherever in NH.

Robb :tipup:

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2005, 01:02 PM »
PROTECTION! Protection from what! I have not met anyone on the ice that I would'nt invite home for dinner let alone worry about packin a pistol! I'm at a loss for why you felt the need to post this.
I guess you never read the story, about the guy that got chopped up with the Auger last year..  ;)

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2005, 01:11 PM »

Offline Big Dawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2005, 01:16 PM »
HOLY CRAP STUMPER!!!  NOW THAT, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, IS A FIREARM! MAN...Pletch, incase you havent noticed, the world is not all sugar coated and decorated with flowers. there are some nuts out there. and yes while most of the guys ive met fishing i would invite them for dinner. but you never know when it hits the fan.

-Dave

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #12 on: Nov 16, 2005, 01:36 PM »
I just picked her up a couple weeks ago.Gonna try to get serious about yote hunting again. ;)

Offline Hookset

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't eat the yellow snow!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 17, 2005, 12:02 PM »
Hey Stumper:

Gotta love the AR!  the .223 round is underrated, but they proved themselves to me during my military service.  It's as much a visual deterrent as a weapon.  Nobody wants that puppy pointed at them for any reason.  Can't see needing it on the ice(unless Al Qaeda decides ice fishermen are the next manifestations of the Anti-Christ), but nice to know it's there if the 'need' arises.
We don't own nature, nature owns us.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 17, 2005, 12:41 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Sweet!!!!! All I can say is Why Waltz when you can Rock & Roll.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Redneck5

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:17 PM »
I figured I haul enough stuff on this ice that I do not need to pack my 454. I pack it bow hunting and at 56oz, that is even too much extra weight. If need be I will beat who ever needs it with a piece of Caribou jerky ;D

Offline waterbeater

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The harder the better
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2005, 03:12 PM »
Stumper, You're going to love that AR-15. I've had one for over 10 years now and love it. With that velocity and a hollow point, you can deal out some heavy damage.
Waterbeater out!<br />

Offline feasanthunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2005, 04:00 PM »
hmmm...i don't have a gas auger...but i do have a springfield 45....hmmmm...seven holes real quick....
are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle "Dixie"?

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:25 PM »
LIVE FREE OR DIE!!!

I have personally carried my Glock 21 (.45 cal.) with me ice fishing concealed under my outer most jacket. Even talked to a State Trooper  and a DEC guy the same day and they never even knew it was there. I DO NOT go looking for trouble, but in today's society it seems prudent to be prepared for when trouble comes looking for you. :(

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:30 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Hey stumper, that's a nice AR! I used to have a 24" stainless upper for mine, but traded for a 16" HBAR. I shoot the gun a lot more often now, but someday would like another varmint rig. BTW, if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion- loost that A2 upper and get an A3. You'd still be able to mount a scope on the rail and the scope would be closer to the centerline of the gun aiding in acheiving a better cheek weld and sight picture. As a bonus, you could also mount a detachable carry handle when you didn't need the scope.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2005, 10:05 PM »
Hey stumper, that's a nice AR! I used to have a 24" stainless upper for mine, but traded for a 16" HBAR. I shoot the gun a lot more often now, but someday would like another varmint rig. BTW, if I may be so bold as to make a suggestion- loost that A2 upper and get an A3. You'd still be able to mount a scope on the rail and the scope would be closer to the centerline of the gun aiding in acheiving a better cheek weld and sight picture. As a bonus, you could also mount a detachable carry handle when you didn't need the scope.

Some day I plan on geting an A3 upper ,but for now its not in he budget.I actually like the looks of this set up better.I know what you mean on the other points though.I was worried about the cheak position,Its not so bad though.

stump

Offline Bluefinforme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2005, 02:46 PM »
we carry a 12 guage on board to keep those pesky CG Aux away ;D
we do use it on Mako's though...sometime a warning blast to the seagull if they are messin' with our balloons

Offline shrub

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The secret to fishing: Fish where the fish are!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2005, 03:00 PM »
i love vermont, i can carry a full auto glock with a 22 round hi cap mag. gotta lov V.T no permits no questions asked.

Betty and Lucey say "HI"!

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2005, 03:29 PM »
i love vermont, i can carry a full auto glock with a 22 round hi cap mag. gotta lov V.T no permits no questions asked.

:callcops:  I gotta call B.S. on this one. A Glock Model 18..... I don't think so.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2005, 03:57 PM »
I carry a .45 (I live in Michigan and have my CCP), but not on the ice, only when I'm fishing for brookies in the toolies. Not for protection from man, for protection from critters.

If someone gets in my face, I just offer them a beer. It's cheaper than a lawyer and easier to explain to the wife. Seems a little extreme. Although, maybe I should be carrying on the ice to protect myself against ice fisherman packing assult rifles and fully automatic pistols just because they can.....I'm all for excersizing your constitutional rights, but I dont carry for fun.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:34 PM »

I dont care what state your in,Full auto is against FEDERAL LAW.I think you must be in a state of confusion?lol

stump

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:47 PM »
I dont care what state your in,Full auto is against FEDERAL LAW.I think you must be in a state of confusion?lol

stump

NOT TRUE!!! Several states allow the ownership of full auto weapons. You simply have to fill out and have approved the FEDERAL form, and pay big money for the guns- usually in the $4000+ range!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:54 PM »
NOT TRUE!!! Several states allow the ownership of full auto weapons. You simply have to fill out and have approved the FEDERAL form, and pay big money for the guns- usually in the $4000+ range!

I guess I was refering to the general public since he said "no permits no questions asked" .I can carry full auto here If I have the  FFL license that is required.

Offline gunner1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2005, 08:10 PM »
I guess I was refering to the general public since he said "no permits no questions asked" .I can carry full auto here If I have the  FFL license that is required.

They allow full auto in South DAkota??? Yet another state to add to my list of places I wouldn't mind living. ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2005, 09:23 PM »
ONLY if you have a FFL and are not useing it for hunting.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.