Author Topic: Otter T600 Lodge  (Read 11525 times)

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
Otter T600 Lodge
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:31 PM »
Fill me in guys; how do u like yours? I'm planning on setting my wallet back tomorrow; and can't find one review on the net. No Otter dealers anywhere to go see one and try it out. Is the new anodized tubing something to rave about? How about the newly re-designed bench? Thanks!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
Re: Otter T600 Lodge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:23 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing what people say I plan on buying one as well.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:47 PM »
 I just bought one from Gander. If you run and gun I would get something else ,Its pretty heavy about 96# . I liked the bench seat and the big sled. You should be able to put all of your gear in it. Since I dont walk and only  use a Ski Do the weight is not a problem. MIne is for up to 3 people. It opens and closes easily and has plenty of room. If it is going to be just you Get the smaller one. If you have little kids or grandkids it will work fine. Gander had Them 75.00 off last weekend. You should also figure on getting the cover, i think the cover comes with it if you get it from Gander.  Even though I have not used it yet (Lack of ice) I like the rugged build of Otter.  Like I said earlier if weight is not a problem you will like it.Dragging it around all day long would not be fun. Good luck

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:47 PM »
All I can do is tell you about my Otter Pro Lodge Thermal weight 120 lbs doesnt pull very well by hand. loaded up with all my gear I am adding another 100 lbs. I like the square tubing very durable. I have the tow bar when you pull it with a 4 wheeler it is great. alot of room for 2 people to fish. the sled is great room for all my gear. I load it up with two otter rod holders, two flashers, underwater camera, and there is alot of room to spare. I dont know about the bench seat. Hope this helped
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:06 AM »
I'm getting a 12 volt winch for loading and unloading in my truck. I do pull by hand, but 99% of the time, it is on glare ice. We get little or no snow in Iowa, and I have a smitty sled to put it on if we do get snow. Our lakes are small, and I rarely will be pulling it over 200-300 yds from the boat ramp. I just pulled the buy lever at Reeds. They have them for $569 with no sales tax for me. I would have liked to went all thermal, but you can't get a bench seat with the full thermal. A reeds salesman informed me of how ridiculous it is that you can't order a pro thermal with a bench seat. I totally agree. They don't ship them assembled, so why not allow a customer to order them with the seat package they want? Reeds says they get  calls all of the time from customers wanting to order an otter setup with the seating they want. I plan on sewing a thermal liner in and making it a full thermal. Should be quite doable and fairly easy.

Offline Yooper77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:09 AM »
Wow that sucker is heavy and expensive, like my ex-wife ;D

Changed my middle name to "You should have been here yesterday".         Remember it's called fishing, not catching.

Offline scotthey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2013, 06:06 AM »

Ha!
You never know how strong you are until strong is the only option you have.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:54 AM »
I'm getting a 12 volt winch for loading and unloading in my truck. I do pull by hand, but 99% of the time, it is on glare ice. We get little or no snow in Iowa, and I have a smitty sled to put it on if we do get snow. Our lakes are small, and I rarely will be pulling it over 200-300 yds from the boat ramp. I just pulled the buy lever at Reeds. They have them for $569 with no sales tax for me. I would have liked to went all thermal, but you can't get a bench seat with the full thermal. A reeds salesman informed me of how ridiculous it is that you can't order a pro thermal with a bench seat. I totally agree. They don't ship them assembled, so why not allow a customer to order them with the seat package they want? Reeds says they get  calls all of the time from customers wanting to order an otter setup with the seating they want. I plan on sewing a thermal liner in and making it a full thermal. Should be quite doable and fairly easy.
  Not quite sure how you could sew a  liner in with out it not leaking when it rains. I agree about the bench seat , that was one of the reasons I bought it. The individual seats take up to much valuable space in the sled. You should be fine pulling on glare ice. Have fun .

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:57 AM »
You just use seam sealer wherever sewing was done. Most tents you buy need to be seam sealed too. It is very easy to do. Thanks for the info guys.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:01 AM »
let us know how it turns out.

Offline Fishin_Chip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2013, 12:02 PM »
New bench is good, allows access to sled both set-up and collapsed.  Not sure how bench would take less room than the buckets, though.  My one beef with the bench is that you have to move it (either fold it down or lift it up) any time you need something from in the sled.  Read my Otter Cabin thread for notes on a couple minor issues to watch for.

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2013, 01:18 PM »
The normal otter seats don't get in the way, they sit on top of the sled. You can still pile as much gear in the sled as your heart desires. The individual seats also allow you to use the sportsmans caddy (aka center console), which you can't use with the bench. And if you really want the bench and an otter, the bench is sold seperately.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2013, 07:33 AM »
Thanks for the info FC. Yea, I know FB, but who wants to buy a thermal with boat seats, try to ebay the seats, and then buy the bench?

Offline frostbittin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:25 AM »
I find them comfortable, and they swivel 360 degrees and also move back and forth. But yes, if you dispise the seats, try to sell them to recoup what you spend on the bench. You also have the option to just buy the tent and poles, then just the sled. That way you put whatever seating arrangement in there that you want.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2013, 02:12 PM »
I have two the Cottage and the Lodge. Very well built ice shelter. Have towed mine behind a 4 wheeler and its been in 40+ mph winds. I have the XT900 feature and the bucket seat. Very warm and very comfortable. A little spendy, and take awhile to put together. But worth the money IMO.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline bluegil67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:04 AM »
 Bought a cabin T-600 last year with the neww style bench seat and love it. Mostly fish it with my two boys, its a little tight for three but usually one of us is outside drilling and searching. I mostly pull with a quad but do pull by hand on some smaller lakes and its not that bad. Sounds like you have it comming, you will love it.

Offline danerc07

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2013, 01:03 PM »

LOL!!!
youtube.com/danerc07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2013, 08:23 PM »
hows these new anodized poles for this year? Are they WAY better then the previous square tubing traps with the green canvass tents?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Well, she arrived yesterday!!! You guys are right; approx 5 hrs to assemble!! Talk about QUALITY!! She sets up quickly and man is there room!!! I'm going to love the 58"  bench!! 

12 volt winch arrived yesterday for easy loading/unloading. Cost is $70

Otters new pivoting bench seat for this year that pivots out of the way for easy loading/unloading.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:09 AM »
 I thought it was just me, it took me a little longer. Did you get a cover with it ?  Those otters are tough as nails. Are you mounting the winch on your truck or a trailer.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:14 AM »
Cover is supposed to arrive today. I'm mounting the winch in the pickup box; no trailer.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2013, 08:09 PM »
Well, Iowa ice just left us, so I thought I'd take the time to give u a review on my new Otter Lodge. LOVE IT!! Best one man shelter for my needs!!! Pulls like a dream on glare ice, and in snow it pulls easily on my smitty sled. The bench seat is so nice to fish off of, and the anodized tubes open and shut effortlessly. The sidewalls drip terribly with condensation, and I have purchased my white diamond quilted insulated fabric, to be sewn in professionally before next season. It will cost right at $100 to have this insulated feature and bright interior, which will make jig tying with 2 lb test easier, and I'll use less propane. The hut hole hops easily, and the only time I lower the poles, once on the ice, is when it's time to load up. The winch makes loading and unloading very easy, and my tailgate just closes in my truck. Here's some pics of it in action. It fishes two comfortably, but it really shines as a one man.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:45 PM »
what type of reel is that on the last picture ?

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Well ASA , I am glad to see someone else out there with as much crap as me. I have the frabill predator and with all my stuff in it I am pushing 250 # I have ramps just like yours and I use the smitty sled. I get the skis started and lift the back and push into the truck. Now seeing your set up. I have big plans for next year. The winch is a must!!! I am not getting any younger. Thanks for the idea. Now just to figure out how to make my wheels quick on and off my smitty sled.
Gator Nation

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 11, 2013, 11:33 PM »
Lol, and yea, the winch is the best $70 I ever spent on anti back or hernia prevention. That last pic, I had forgot my icefishinginnovations rod box, which also has my tackle. I happened to have the two swish rods and a couple of beaver dams, with 4 bare hooks, some split shots, and still managed to get a good catch w the setups with minnows. I improvised a propane lid as a bobber. I took the pickup ramp pics Friday, and by Sunday, our ice wasn't safe for foot traffic. Rain, high winds, and a bunch of wet snow ate it up. U guys be safe with what u have left!

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2013, 10:04 AM »
Forgot to mention, I am 6'3" and I can stand upright in this shelter. A great feature!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.