Author Topic: NAFC: Field Tested Seal of Approval  (Read 2691 times)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
NAFC: Field Tested Seal of Approval
« on: Aug 18, 2010, 10:57 PM »
So does the NAFC: Field Tested Seal of Approval weigh in any of your descision buying of a product?

Yes? No? Do you even care about it?  ;D

I've seen some of their product review and it would seem like really dumb as rock comments like: reliable, great value, very durable, etc.,... Like would those thing have any concrete evidence of a person who actually used the product, really put some time or thought into using it.  The spiderman or snoopy rod can be reliable, great value, and very durable too, but meaningless to me.

I see that the St.Croix Legend ice rod and Arctic Spurs have the NAFC: Field Tested Seal of Approval on them.
For more information read my MN nice journal

surflizard

Re: NAFC: Field Tested Seal of Approval
« Reply #1 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:43 AM »
I signed up with them on 2 separate occasions, and both times the magazines were always late or not at all. I never once got anything to test, even after several written requests for ice fishing products to test  ??? The reviews that I saw, like you said, seemed manufactured. I didn't see any bad reviews on the products they recommended  ??? So I'd
have to say, their seal of approval on a product is good, average, okay, not bad, didn't break, not sure, I don't know, maybe, I guess it's okay, couldn't tell, I'd take one if they give em away and my personal favorite, I'm on the fence on this one !  :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Aug 19, 2010, 06:51 AM »
I don't go with seals of approval at all.

I do my research on the web, especially websites like this one.

You can hear what people like, don't like, would like changed or if they have a problem with Customer service etc.

I know that there are people who are a little mad at the honest opinions on this website.
I got to hear it from the Jiffy Rep at last years St. Paul Ice Show. ( I had on my Ice Shanty Hoodie)

He showed me in detail how the new "improvements" that they made to the Jiffy Augers made them better.
He also wanted to dispel the rumors regarding reliability.

I was cordial, but I really like this website because it will allow posts good or bad and let us decide what to buy.

Other Websites like Lake link,  have been known to pull reviews of guides / equipment that their sponsors did not like.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #3 on: Aug 19, 2010, 10:24 AM »
NAFC: Field Tested Seal of Approval means nothing to me when I am buying something for fishing.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Aug 19, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Surfy, you ol' troutnapper, did you REALLY think NAFC was going to acknowledge your request for "Ice gear"...a new Ranger 850, shack, and a tackle box full of Shimano's and Tica's?!   ;D  Actually, Surflizard and Wiener summed it all up well. I was a member for 3 years, and all I ever got was pkgs of hooks big enough to catch Orca's on and 40 lb test line good for landmine trip wires when I told them numerous times I go for Panfish..HELLO! Guess that told me they weren't real interested in obtaining "real" ratings...just keeping you hangin' on.  I think anyone who receives free stuff is always going to give it a decent rating, ie; "reliable", "made well" "good value", etc. Kinda like "Buy this rod, get a FREE tackle box"!
I've had the same experience Wiener had.. at the St. Paul Sportman's Show. A guy offered me a free hat with HIS company's logo on it, if I'd give him my hat with a competitor's brand on it, telling me why my brand was "junk". I see no reason why people cannot offer an honest opinion on their experience with an item. If you have a good product, it's not really going to affect your bottom line...there's always going to be negative comments on anything you buy. I hit the web for reviews and talk to people who use the products, I think that's your best best. I left a certain fishing website that was basically promo for their sponsor's products...if you even hinted or made a negative comment on one of the sponsor's items, your comment was removed. That's not an open forum helping people. Hate to say it, but I have more confidence in the *SURF* approval (Surflizard User Realistic Fieldtest) than NAFC approval. :roflmao: :roflmao:
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 19, 2010, 01:39 PM »
I know nothing at all about the NAFC. I think I was a member for a year, and that was many years ago.

But I do know a thing or two about marketing, primarily the marketing of fishing equipment. And I can tell you that most (not all) product reviews, field testing, whatever you want to call it, are basically paid endorsements. When a magazine (or web site) does a product review there is normally a good deal of money that changes hands.

Now, there are magazines and web sites that offer honest and fair reviews. But it goes back to that saying about the buyer beware. If you read a really positive review claiming that some product you know is junk, then that's a pretty good sign that their reviews are really not very reliable.

And by the way, Jiffy augers are just downright awesome. And yes, I get compensated to say that. But not enough to say it if I didn't think it was true. 
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline blizzardfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2010, 04:30 PM »
             Not for anything,but I have been a life member for approx. 10 yrs and agree w/ most of your posts.I receive all my mags on time and on occasion get some nice stuff (ie. bag of 30 ice jigs,several brands of line at diff.#s,lure holders&jig cases,assorted lures...... blah blah blah). As far as Field tests,I've never had my comments posted so I'd have to agree they lean towards only good ones. :nono:For what it's worth I enjoy this site and all its informative benefits much more!!! :thumbsup:

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2010, 06:19 PM »
I myself thought, several years ago, it meant something of worth value.  Nowadays, it just doesn't seam to hold any value.  Just something I see on a package.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2010, 08:17 PM »
I pay no attention to endorsements anymore. When it comes to gear, I do my own research and ask the great all knowing Iceshanty.com!

Offline boblee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2010, 09:21 PM »
I don't think they really care about doing the reviews, telling you their going to send you gear to field test is just a gimic to get you to subscribe to their magazines, which in my opinion suck compared to sites like this.  only thing good about the nafc is the free stickers and license holder.    no offense to any members just my opinion

Trooper Bri

« Reply #10 on: Aug 19, 2010, 09:25 PM »
Never heard of NAFC.

My answer is the same as anyone else. Spend time researching your purchases.

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 20, 2010, 04:50 AM »
I was a member years ago, and noticed the samething with the reviews, Bubba said "it works great"
I'm' with the Lizard on this check it out for yourself
I've asked people at boat launches, on shore, and on the ice what they thought if I see they have
something I'm interested in.
You get real honest opinions that way.
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Aug 20, 2010, 02:20 PM »
I assume you are talking about the north american fishing club? All they did was keep sending me fishing books I didn't want, and then try to charge me for them, then I had to pay for the return postage and could not get them to stop mailing me the books. They are in the business of selling books, magazine, and membership fee's, they care nothing about you field testing anything.

surflizard

« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2010, 05:43 AM »
Strangely enough, I saw the NAFC stamp of approval in the letter head of the Jigging threads page ? I'm really glad to see that they recommended jigging for us !  ;D  :roflmao:

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2010, 06:50 AM »
It means absolutely nothing to me and when I get stuff from them I place it in the circular file!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2010, 10:24 AM »
NAFC approving a product doesn't mean anything to me. I get their stuff in the mail all time and never join. Recently got some nice return address labels with fish on them in th epacket, kept those everything else went into the garbage. I do my own research.

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2010, 05:13 PM »
yeah means absolutely nothing i once got hooked by them and subscribed for 2 years the mags were always late and they sent me a fillet knife to test except the box was empty :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: and there reveiws are very lame never do you hear a bad review come on really guys and we wont even go into the books they send and bill and you have to pay postage to return it.  you want a good mag subscribe to in-fisherman :clap: :clap: :clap:
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Aug 22, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I assume you are talking about the north american fishing club? All they did was keep sending me fishing books I didn't want, and then try to charge me for them, then I had to pay for the return postage and could not get them to stop mailing me the books. They are in the business of selling books, magazine, and membership fee's, they care nothing about you field testing anything.
I belonged about 30 years ago and I did buy a book from them which I ordered. A few weeks later another book arrived and I told the post man to send it back since it was unopened. Next they kept sending me a bill for the book that I had returned. I finally sent them a letter and told them that the law in this state says that anything sent to my address that wasn't ordered by me is considered a gift to me and the next time they sent me a book I would consider it to be a gift. I was never sent anything by them again. 
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Aug 22, 2010, 08:11 PM »
i  am using the lisence holder and the bass sticker they sent me for free is on the truck but theyre just tryin to lure me in to something thats gonna cost money in the long run.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:07 AM »

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:20 AM »
nice.i also get stuff from the NAHC.a buck sticker and lisence holder.i know its to good to be true to recieve free hunting and fishing items.all a scam for money.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:26 AM »
Whoooeee! Good catch, duck doctor!!!! They're wrecking our "Minnesota nice" reputation! Always knew there was somethin' kinda funky about that place....along with the problems I had with them in an earlier post, I also was double billed more than once. Looks like a good ol' Rebel slap upside the head is in order.... there goes "Minnesota nice"...!!! ;D
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I just went on their website and visitted the forum there. There is a thread about the very same topic we are discussing there on the official website!

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 23, 2010, 09:55 AM »
That company has a bunch of "clubs"....hunting, fishing, woodworking, gardening...I know there are more, but don't remember them all.

I'm a life member of the garden club (go ahead and laugh but I have fresh tarragon for my fish!!!  :P  ). Once in a while they send a thing for me to be a "double life member", because my membership is paid for.  ::)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

surflizard

« Reply #24 on: Aug 23, 2010, 11:47 AM »
I figured you for a hardcore Guinea, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW YOU WERE THAT HARDCORE !! :o  ;D

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 23, 2010, 12:37 PM »
Umm, yeah...tarragon is French.  ::)

Stick to fishing, Surf.  ;)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Aug 23, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Umm, yeah...tarragon is French.  ::)

Stick to fishing, Surf.  ;)

Guinea don't let Surf get to you....I only know of one other woman that is hardcore enough to run a Jiffy......and I married her!

surflizard

« Reply #27 on: Aug 23, 2010, 02:38 PM »
1. Come on Guinea, ( French ?? )  we all know that tarragon is up by Washington !  ;D  :roflmao:
The boss tells me to get out of the kitchen, so I come out to my kitchen !  >:D  >:D  >:D  Hee, Hee, Hee

2. UH, UH  Ben, I'll have you know, LLT can start my legend cold and punch holes too !  :roflmao:

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Aug 23, 2010, 03:01 PM »

2. UH, UH  Ben, I'll have you know, LLT can start my legend cold and punch holes too !  :roflmao:

Isn't the legend a 2hp? :whistle: :whistle:

surflizard

« Reply #29 on: Aug 23, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I'll wager once we finally have some ice, she can fire up the Eskimo too !  ;D I'm dyin to run that into some ice really bad !! With the new carb rebuild kit, she fires up first pull now !  ;D I did the Jiffy at the same time and they both are  ICE RIPPEN MUTHA'S ! :woot: :thumbsup: :roflmao: OOPS, I got a little carried away there. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.