Author Topic: Going to loose my best icefishing buddy forever heres a couple of pictures of Ja  (Read 12423 times)

Offline steeda9

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Love the ice, but bring on that spring gobble
Re: Going to loose my best icefishing buddy forever
« Reply #60 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Do yourself a big favour, when you go to take him in Don't Stay.
It is much easier if you don't have to watch them go through it.
It's not terrible but the fact that your best friend slips away in you arms takes much longer to deal with

I totally disagree with this statement.Five years ago i had my rottie put to sleep.My wife went with me i was not going to go in the room with him.My wife looked at me and said you selfish ***** he was your best freind and always  was there for you .Now act like a man, go in and hold him so his last memory is of you.It was the hardest thing i have ever done.But not a goes by that i dont thank my wife for telling me to go in there.If i would have let him go without me i would have regreted it fover ever. That being said i feel your pain and im deeply sorry.Remember we will will see them again on that big chunk of ice in the sky.
What comes around goes around!

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #61 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:31 PM »

MY BLOSSOM--,WHEN THE VETput the needle in her arm I HAD MY FACE,right in hers,  . the last thing she seen was me. looked to me like she was thinking, i'm tired, and i want to go to sleep  just like when she was a puppy. no regrets on that decision. She had kidney failure. and was very sick. i did all i could to save her, with the week long visits to the vet, it was worth the money spent, to try to get her better. vet said- there was nothing he could do to make her better.--his reputation-here was excellent. in the end she gave me a lick on the nose- and the vet said,  SHE'S GONE.
aka FishingPolski

Offline Vt Piker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:40 PM »
JJK,
 Been there. Sucks. The next time I'm on the ice and running a string of jacks, I'll skip one...leave a gap. That will be the "missing mans best friend formation". A salute to your Jasper.
Sorry.
<br />img

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Thats a good idea Vt. Piker, will do the same. For all our best friends that can't be there, until we can be together again.

Offline kinwashkly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:51 PM »
I just put down my Brittany last Nov, he was 12, he suffered quite a bit the last 12 month's but dreaded taking him to the vet as I knew what the outcome would be,but looking back it wasn't fair to the dog as he suffered to much, you will know when its time, you can see it in their eyes, but Mac was a great companion for me as I trialed him and hunted over him and then the last couple of years he accompanied me and my other Brittany fishing thru the winter and summer, he was quite the thief as he would wander around the ice visiting other fellow fisherman and steal the odd fish and bring it back to me and was proud as punch as he would drop the find at my feet looking for a pat on the head.

Offline find me on the ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:07 PM »
sorry about the loss. i know its hard but just remember the good times you had with it on the ice, and everywhere else, give it time things WILL get better.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #66 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:26 PM »
to us 14 ,maybe 16 yrs isnt long to a dog or any pet its a life time ..i now what its like to lose close people at a young age ..but when youget a animal like these i read about you reallyhave to figure it will be in youor life for a short period...thats there life span...i am sorry to hear this because its almost like your just getting attached...to watch anythng suffer is alway and will be a drag ...sorry again

Offline MILLERMANKT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:33 PM »
JJK,
I can not tell you how bad I feel for you. Three weeks ago monday, I had to put down my best friend Reba. She meant everything to me. I knew the day was coming, but it came apon very quickly. It was best for her as she is not hurting anymore. I spent almost 13 years having her as my best friend and riding partner. The nite she died, I had a fire in the back yard in her honor and toasted her memories with a few beers and part of a bottle of Jack and cried like a baby. I think of her alot and will continue too. We had her cremated and have her ashes on the mantel of our fire place and I have her collar on the rear view mirror in my truck. I have tears in my eyes now thinking of Reba and you being in the spot your in. Enjoy Jasper now and do the right thing for him when the time comes. As for being there when the time comes, only you can decide. I was there with Reba and do not regret it. I was there to kiss her goodbye and share her last breath. God I loved that dog !
Good luck to both you and Jasper.. I will be thinking of both of you.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #68 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:34 PM »
MY BLOSSOM--,WHEN THE VETput the needle in her arm I HAD MY FACE,right in hers,  . the last thing she seen was me. looked to me like she was thinking, i'm tired, and i want to go to sleep  just like when she was a puppy. no regrets on that decision. She had kidney failure. and was very sick. i did all i could to save her, with the week long visits to the vet, it was worth the money spent, to try to get her better. vet said- there was nothing he could do to make her better.--his reputation-here was excellent. in the end she gave me a lick on the nose- and the vet said,  SHE'S GONE.
I agree wholeheartedly.  It's the right thing to do and I'm really glad my Daughter and I were there for her last seconds.  I know it was comforting for her to see us holding her as she slipped away.  
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

dakotaice

« Reply #69 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:21 AM »
After 15 years of companionship the vet said within a month I have to put Jasper my dog down............Has anyone have to do this? I am not looking forward to this being my birthday in a couple of days. He has always gone fishing and camping with me all the times.
sorry  to hear it.ive had to do the same several times.ive spent more time with my labs the my friends over the past 20 yrs. and it never gets any easier.the vet told me with my last lab,baron,not to put him down just let happen what is meant to be.i was torn as i didnt want to see him suffer.in the end i was glad i didnt,there was a 3 day period  1 day before he passed that he was himself again running retrieving,acting like the pup he always was.im glad we had those  couple of good days! WE AS DOG LOVERS KNOW FROM THE BEGINING THAT OUR FRIEND WILL LIVE ONLY A SHORT WHILE,COMPARED TO OURSELVES,BUT WE WILL NEVER STOP CHOOSING THEM AS OUR FRIENDS !

dakotaice

« Reply #70 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:24 AM »
I have had to do it several times over my life and it sucks.
Do yourself a big favour, when you go to take him in Don't Stay.
It is much easier if you don't have to watch them go through it.
It's not terrible but the fact that your best friend slips away in you arms takes much longer to deal with. Just writing this brings a tear to my eye remembering my German Sheppard that I stayed with as she passed. That was back in the 80's.
My other dogs all I can remember are the good times not the bad.
That is my best advise for dealing with having to say goodbye to a good friend.
That and go to the shelter and find a new friend. I did!!  ;D

I picked this guy up from the shelter when he was 12 or 14 weeks old.

(Image removed from quote.)

Now he's 2 1/2 years old and loves fishing.

SORRY DRIFTER I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU.ID NEVER LET 1 OF MY PUPS BE PUT DOWN WITHOUT BEING THERE WITH HIM.I WOULDNT WANT TO BE ALONE WHEN IT HAPENS AND NEITHER DO THEY.THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THERE  FOR US AND WE SHOULD BE THERE FOR THEM.IT IS VERY DIFFICULT AS YOU SAID BUT HE WOULDNT LEAVE YOU.JUST MY THOUGHTS

dakotaice

« Reply #71 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:28 AM »
Thank you all and I will give him many scratches behind the ears for you
DAM JJK,STARTIN TO TEAR UP SITTING HERE OM THE COMPUTER.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #72 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:55 AM »
SORRY DRIFTER I HAVE TO DISAGREE WITH YOU.ID NEVER LET 1 OF MY PUPS BE PUT DOWN WITHOUT BEING THERE WITH HIM.I WOULDNT WANT TO BE ALONE WHEN IT HAPENS AND NEITHER DO THEY.THEY HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THERE  FOR US AND WE SHOULD BE THERE FOR THEM.IT IS VERY DIFFICULT AS YOU SAID BUT HE WOULDNT LEAVE YOU.JUST MY THOUGHTS

Everyone is different and has their own thoughs on this sad subject.
Of the 3 pooches I have had pass on in my life she was the only one I stayed with. The first I was still very young and my folks took care of her and the last was left with my folks when I moved up north. She lost the use of her rear legs and my folks took care of her. I'm still haunted by the thought of the memories of my sheppard I stayed with until the end. After she was gone I was a complete wreck for 2 months and could barely function. No I know my pets will forgive me if I don't stay with them because it causes me too much pain to watch them expire. Of my pets that I was not there when they passed the first and only things I remember are the good times such as my first pup Susie going to fetch a stick and brining me a 3" diameter 8 foot tree.  :)Sadly the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Mary my sheppard is her passing, I have a hard time getting past that even today nearly 20 years later.  :'(

Offline Nam 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never Forget Them! All Gave Some but Some Gave ALL
« Reply #73 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Man this is brutal you are going through this, I am crying and its not my dog but I have been there, Like another lad said, we will all meet again, I had to do this many times and it sucks every time. Its not easy going in there with them but I also believe they deserve that, So sorry for you bro, Jiger (pete)

dakotaice

« Reply #74 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:56 PM »
Of the 3 pooches I have had pass on in my life she was the only one I stayed with. The first I was still very young and my folks took care of her and the last was left with my folks when I moved up north. She lost the use of her rear legs and my folks took care of her. I'm still haunted by the thought of the memories of my sheppard I stayed with until the end. After she was gone I was a complete wreck for 2 months and could barely function. No I know my pets will forgive me if I don't stay with them because it causes me too much pain to watch them expire. Of my pets that I was not there when they passed the first and only things I remember are the good times such as my first pup Susie going to fetch a stick and brining me a 3" diameter 8 foot tree.  :)Sadly the first thing that comes to my mind when I think of Mary my sheppard is her passing, I have a hard time getting past that even today nearly 20 years later.  :'(
i totally understand and fault no one for how they deal with these types of situations.i just wanted to share my thoughts and im sorry for your loss

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #75 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:07 PM »
I guess on my part I am being selfish not realizing what is best for Jasper but now I know what I have to do.......... for Jasper not me.....
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #76 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:08 PM »

Hey I'm with you, I don't want to be there with my dogs when they pass either. But I come from a farming back ground, and I won't be taking my dogs to the vet to do it either. If its up to me (and I think my wife will be with me on this), I will put them down myself. I know I could ask my father inlaw to do it and he would, but I would have a hard time forgiving anyone but myself for putting my dogs down.

It is a dog, as emotionally attach as we get to them, they are just an animal.
(I know I will be hated for this comment, but you can't go through life allowing emotions to control your life, and it sucks sometimes)

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:13 PM »
Well its my 50th today but dont feel like celebrating but for a B-present I have decided to be with Jasper when I take him in and treasure that moment forever of him being with me......

dakotaice

« Reply #78 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:17 PM »
went back and read every post on this topic n started thinking too much.everybody that replied to this subject knows what its like to have had a pup as a friend and family member,and to have lost them.the people that im even sadder for are the ones who leave their pups tied up outside 24/7 365 and never relize what they have,theyll never know what its like to have them jump on the bed and wake you up or to spend a day on the ice with them.it amazes me every  time i think back how many memories i have from all of my pups,both long gone and present.just wish they knew what they were missin.DONT WORRY JJK,BUCKSHOT ,BARON AND GUNNER WILL BE THERE  TO GREET JASPER.

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #79 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:24 PM »
JJK,  YOU WILL NEVER REGRET  being with your dog, in the final moments, as i was with mine.  be prepared, if there is such a thing, when the moment comes.. it will be TOUGH. like i prevously posted, been 3 yrs fo me, since my MISS BLOSSOM HAD TO BE PUT DOWN. (still miss here to this day)  she will be waiting for your dog, to say hi.--            DUKE 31.
aka FishingPolski

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:27 PM »
JJK glad to see your going with jasper. Had to do the same a few times always was with the dog when they were put down. Very hard thing to do but you have to take the good with the bad. Sorry for your loss. Hang in there it gets better with time and Happy Birthday.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline holedriller

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have auger will travel
« Reply #81 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:35 PM »
heavenly father please help jjk deal with the sorrow of losin jasper.  JJk remember there will always be ice for jasper to run on and the fish have to be bigger
i hurt any time a brother fisherman hurts i will be thinking of u. i know u will be when i will have to do this with my lab magnum some day

Offline pjcornejo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:41 PM »
12 years ago, we had to put down our Westie, his name was Duke,
he was the greatest dog to our family, I have 3 kids and they loved him of course we all did,, he got cancer in the bladder, I can still remember taking him for a walk the day we took him to the vet to be put down, he was in pain,was bleeding, he knew it was his time, he dug a hole for himslelf in the backyard to make himself more comfortable  that day, as hard as it was we had to do it for him. After Duke died or Vet informed us about another Westie that was abused and needed a home, we took him home and named him Cubby, he's 10 now and we just got another one from my wifes Aunt--named Charlie he's 7 months, so as the saying goes Life goes on. You have good memories that will never be forgotten, and Jasper and Duke are in a better place.

I guess on my part I am being selfish not realizing what is best for Jasper but now I know what I have to do.......... for Jasper not me.....
Men and fish are alike.  They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:43 PM »
a legend i heard, attributed to the iroqouis people, tells that after you die, you have to make your way "up the mountain" to the happy hunting ground.
on the way is a great gorge you must cross by means of a fallen log.
all of your dogs that passed before you are waitng on the other side, holding the log steady in their teeth.
if you treated them well, they hold the log steady for you.
if you beat them, they will growl at you and let go of the log.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:47 PM »
 I'm sorry to hear about your buddy. I have a 9yr old Retriever that is getting unhealthy and I'm fearing the day is coming sooner then I want to admit.

I've had to put one other dog down because he got mean and we have children. Nobody wanted to take him so I didn't have a choice and wasn't taking a chance with the kids.  (Shepard/coyote mix) He was still a loyal dog to me and when I took him in I stayed and he fought the drugs hard, he was healthy. I'll never forget it and I'll have to live with that the rest of my life. It was hard man, I balled like a baby.

People saying stay and go, that's your choice but with my retriever, he's my boy.. I'd definitely stay no matter how hard it is going to be. I wouldn't want to do it if the dog has any strength though because they just don't lay there and die. I would rather keep them comfy at home as long as possible and give them morphine or something to ease the pain until they are too weak to fight "the shot". Maybe that's selfish, but having your buddy getting up wanting you to help him knowing something aint right will tear your heart to pieces. It's not always like the "Marley and Me" movie so go prepared.

I'll pray that he goes peacefully, I'm sorry for your loss.

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Feb 04, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your buddy. I have a 9yr old Retriever that is getting unhealthy and I'm fearing the day is coming sooner then I want to admit.

I've had to put one other dog down because he got mean and we have children. Nobody wanted to take him so I didn't have a choice and wasn't taking a chance with the kids.  (Shepard/coyote mix) He was still a loyal dog to me and when I took him in I stayed and he fought the drugs hard, he was healthy. I'll never forget it and I'll have to live with that the rest of my life. It was hard man, I balled like a baby.

People saying stay and go, that's your choice but with my retriever, he's my boy.. I'd definitely stay no matter how hard it is going to be. I wouldn't want to do it if the dog has any strength though because they just don't lay there and die. I would rather keep them comfy at home as long as possible and give them morphine or something to ease the pain until they are too weak to fight "the shot". Maybe that's selfish, but having your buddy getting up wanting you to help him knowing something aint right will tear your heart to pieces. It's not always like the "Marley and Me" movie so go prepared.

I'll pray that he goes peacefully, I'm sorry for your loss.

Thank you and all the other members,so this weekend when I take him fishing for the last...........time I am going to plan the date for the Vet

Offline TravIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Feb 04, 2010, 02:38 PM »
Sorry to hear about your dog, I hope you two have a great day of fishing together.  Make sure you bring him a nice steak and a cold beer to wash it down, he deserves it...

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #87 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Sorry about your friend I feel your pain
I held my Jackson with my wife we made sure he knew we loved him
That was 6 years ago and I still choke up when I think about it
He was a shelter dog that shared our home for 14 years
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline Shovel74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:25 PM »
JJK....May the two of you have the best fishing day ever!!

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #89 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:31 PM »
JJK, I hope you and Jasper have a blast together.  And you won't regret being with him at the end.  He has always been there for you, and now you'll get to repay him for all his loyalty.  I have a 10 year old Golden who is like one of the kids to us.  I can't imagine life without him, and his time is slowly coming to an end.  His health has been in a decline for about 7 months.  As long as the vet tells me he isn't suffering, we will cherish every day with him.  But when the time comes, we have decided we won't prolong it for him.  He deserves the best from us,  and when he needs us, we will be there for him.  We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.