Author Topic: Going to loose my best icefishing buddy forever heres a couple of pictures of Ja  (Read 12420 times)

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
After 15 years of companionship the vet said within a month I have to put Jasper my dog down............Has anyone have to do this? I am not looking forward to this being my birthday in a couple of days. He has always gone fishing and camping with me all the times.
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Going to loose my best icefishing buddy forever
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:34 PM »
 you gave him a good home and a good life man.  a buddy of mine just had to do the same w/ his black lab, oddly enough also named jasper...it'll be hard for a couple days but time heals all wounds.  take care & tight lines.

Offline sawoff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:36 PM »
so sorry to hear this.... enjoy the time you have with him now

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:39 PM »
I put my yellow lab (Atilla) down 3 days before deploying to Iraq back in 2004 - Very, very tough.  The vet was nice enough to come out to my house for the task, and then took Tilla away with her.  Made it somewhat easier, but still tough.  Got a new partner in crime when I came back - A great dog, but not Tilla.  
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:40 PM »
atleast you gave him a good life icefishing instead of sitting home waiting for you all day to come back.

Offline duke31

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "gone fishin"
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:46 PM »
 BEEN 3 YRS, SINCE I HAD TO PUT MY GIRL MISS BLOSSM DOWN, SHE WAS A rescue dog, but a great dog   had her 9 yrs.---- had her creamated, her ashes and pic are sitting right next to my puter as i type.
PS,  still waiting for her to come to the door, after she goes out.-- i know it will never happen, but thats how much i miss her.  its TOUGH, I KNOW
aka FishingPolski

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:48 PM »
I have had to do it several times over my life and it sucks.
Do yourself a big favour, when you go to take him in Don't Stay.
It is much easier if you don't have to watch them go through it.
It's not terrible but the fact that your best friend slips away in you arms takes much longer to deal with. Just writing this brings a tear to my eye remembering my German Sheppard that I stayed with as she passed. That was back in the 80's.
My other dogs all I can remember are the good times not the bad.
That is my best advise for dealing with having to say goodbye to a good friend.
That and go to the shelter and find a new friend. I did!!  ;D

I picked this guy up from the shelter when he was 12 or 14 weeks old.

Now he's 2 1/2 years old and loves fishing.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:49 PM »
That sucks JJK.  Like others I've had to do the same thing.  Wishing you all the strength in the world to help you deal with it.

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Been there a few times and it hurts. They are unconditional.  Put my roadie down a year ago. Best bird dog I ever had.  It gets better but you never forget the good ones.  Got a new s#@teater a month ago.  She's already getting to me. Still think about him alot. Damn Dogs anyway.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Good luck JJK. Mines shepards almost 9 and am not looking forward to doing that.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:13 PM »
After 15 years of companionship the vet said within a month I have to put Jasper my dog down............Has anyone have to do this? I am not looking forward to this being my birthday in a couple of days. He has always gone fishing and camping with me all the times.

To be honest with you, this is going to be one of the toughest things you"ll have to do in life. :(   I had a dog for 14 years , she went everywhere with me , and definitely was my bestfriend but in 1997 I had to have her put down due to her health .  To this day
I can picture her looking at me as the Vet walked away with her. She knew that was going to be our last goodbye. But as someone said, time does make it easier but the memories will stay with you forever.  I am sorry that you have to go through this and remember its ok to shed some tears, anyone whose been through this knows how tough it is! We're here for you , if you need a friend to talk to! Brenda aka icewoman
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Sorry to hear the sad news JJK, I have had to do this more than I care to remember. There is no easy remedy, only a moral duty to a good friend. Everyone has their own way of dealing with the task. I stay with my dogs when they are put down, the first dog I had to have put down I did not stay and I kicked myself in the butt ever since that day as I was not there for my best friend in his final moments. I also do not let the vet have the remains, I build a box (coffin) and put several items that the old boy liked (an old decoy or a fechin' stick) in with him. I am lucky enough that I own property along the Missouri river so I bury all my friends along the river bank, that's just my sappy little way of dealing with it. Some may think it's silly but if ya read my sig you'll know how I feel about other people's opinions. I have a good friend that owns a funeral home and he always told me that a funeral is for the living not the dead, it helps the living move on from that point and put perspective on what has transpired. I've always had at least 1 Lab and sometimes as many as 3 at one time, I probably always will have Labs. At least I always have someone to talk to, good luck and you'll be fine when it's all said and done. A new friend is a puppy away. Like the others have said it's okay to shed a tear, I am right now.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:16 PM »
My first Rottweiler was so big that it took my dad and myself just to carry her and put her in the back of the van. At the vets office the only vet on duty was a lady who only weighed 95 pounds so she had to do it in the van.. My dad was at home digging the grave with the backhoe...Now 14 years later I have another one that I hope she will at least last till summer and I will have to go through it again... Its not easy so all you can do is think that you gave them the best life you could..... I feel for you....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline JRA

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:31 PM »
AMEN Madpuppy well put

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Thank you from my whole family, I have decided to take him fishing one more time this weekend and treat him like a king. I know I am not suppose to do this but Jasper loves beer when he can sneak a can thats left unattened when we are camping, so as a treat he can have some with his favorite meals. Thanks again everyone for the support

Offline flipper358

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Its a tough thing to do. I had to put my shepherd down 10 years ago. his hips went. One of hardest things in life to do. just try to remember the good times.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2010, 02:31 PM »
We have had to put five of them down over the years. The last time we said no more dogs. The girl in my avatar belongs to my son, but lives with us. I guess one more time is in store for us.  :(
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Salmon_Run

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired and enjoying it !!!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2010, 02:41 PM »
Sorry about your loss brother; been there myself numerous time and it still hurts. Al you can do is think that you are making them safe and comfortable as they move onto the rainbow bridge.

Best of luck and get yourself another fishing pal as soon as you can. You are not replacing him only the void in your house and they will fill a missing piece in your heart.
                                 Dan
Fish hard and live long !!!!!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 02, 2010, 02:51 PM »
I grew up on a farm, in my 30 years I saw 3 dogs pass on. The last one was a mean border collie, one day I came home from work and he wasn't around, so I searched for him and I found him in an old play house out back. I berried him in the bush. But the next day when I got home from work I knew we had to have another dog, my dad and sister must have agreed, because we only went one day without a dog. That was 8 years ago, now we have a little mutt named scooter (nicknamed "shyster"), we sold the farm and she went with my parents, my dad passed away and my mom moved into a condo and she came to live with my wife and I, she will be a hard one to let go of, and I can see it will come too soon.

A new dog will help, it won't solve everything, but it will take your mind off the hurt.

Offline sawoff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 02, 2010, 02:52 PM »
I am sure there will be a few of us this weekend having a beer with you both ... enjoy your fishing trip

Offline flintlokusa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:30 PM »
So sorry to hear about your companion. I have  had to put 2 of my last  dogs down before they were 3 years old. Harder to lose a dog, than some people. Do an online search for  Rainbow Bridge Pet Poem. A friend had sent it to me when I lost my 1st dog. Hope it helps a little bit, everyone that has lost a dog will think about their companion when they read it
Keep Your Powder Dry

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:35 PM »
i am not looking forward to that day.......i love my dogs so much and i know i will be a mess when the time comes......good luck and i assume you did everything in your power to make it a great life for your pup.....my condolences....jibbs
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline possumking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:38 PM »
I had to do this twice so far my chocklate lab Barney had cancer what i did was a kindness for him he was in pain and was going to suffer my lab Suzi also chocklate had a major heart attack . now i have sadie--Kelli--Drake--and Sampson all labs all hunting and fishing buddys . just remember when you cross the bridge they will be waiting i REALLY believe this i have to

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:39 PM »
On the farm, we used to do it ourselves....feed em a great meal...take them for a nice walk/run/limp....play with them, pet them....take em for a walk at sundown as if we were going rabbit shooting....I know they died happy, quick, clean and never saw it coming.... here in America...things seem to be a little different. I was with my wife and her faithful black lab when he got his shot at the vets.....she cradled his head as he slipped away.....that affected me more than the ones I did or witnessed on the farm.....how humane are we really when we go "by the book"? Just a thought, not looking to start a flame war. By the way, all your stories about your buddies brought a tear to my eye as well....the saying goes "The dog is a gentleman; I hope to go to his heaven, not man's."  ~Mark Twain, letter to W.D. Howells, 2 April 1899

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Thaks again to all of you,your replies have been soothing,this is harder on me than my family but I will keep an upper stiff lip while I can through this.Time to go home and have a stiff one with Jasper,take care everyone talk to yo tomorrow.

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:04 PM »
It's tough, brother. But, unlike an earlier poster, I would definitely stay there as the vet puts your dog down. I always have for mine. Wouldn't you want someone you love by your side as you slip away? Stay with Jasper, hold him, talk to him, remind him of the good times you had together. It's going to be hard, don't get me wrong. But remember, your doing it for him...
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:01 PM »

I haven't had to put one down in about a decade but I did just loose my best friend of 5 years the day after christmas to kidney failure, the pain is still horrendous and the nightmares are worse.  They say that in time things get better and while I agree with them, the "time" they talk about is different for everyone.  I am not even close to being comfortable with the fact that my best friend is gone but I deal with it, I cry alot (good thing I live alone) laugh some, and remember every second of being out with her that I can possibly remember and things are getting better but it is SLOW.

Offline howesfc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "Eirinn go Brach"
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:10 PM »
I still tear up when I think about putting down my Beagle named Bandit down and its been over five years.

I was a Soldier I am a Soldier I will always be a Soldier

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:19 PM »
I don't know what else to say that others haven't already said except I'm sorry and it sucks. I too had to do this and don't know if there's right way, a better way or an easier way but do what YOU think YOU should do and don't worry about what others think. Someone in this thread said happiness is just a puppy away. There is some truth to that. Good luck and remember the time when............
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline trap123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I am sure there will be a few of us this weekend having a beer with you both ... enjoy your fishing trip

amen

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.