Author Topic: ATV's on the Ice  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV's on the Ice
« on: Dec 03, 2014, 10:12 PM »
What's the laws on using ATV's and snowmobiles on the ice?  My Polaris 800 is registered with the state and I have the stickers on the sides.  Do I have to do anything else to be legal or am I already legal? 

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
Re: ATV's on the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:14 AM »
i have heard conflicting stories on this. so i wont say whats true. i have never used one yet.

another question for the ones that know. i was told if you have a farm that you didnt need tags on your wheelers. some farm vehicle deal?

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:19 AM »
I know that on the reservoirs they are not allowed,you'll see signs that say no off road vehicles. I've seen people ticketed for using them for ice fishing. You'll have to check regs for the body of water your on and county laws.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:28 AM »
quick search--http://www.offroad-ed.com/in/in_specific_images/pdfs/in_orvhb_entire.pdf

?bought mine in 90, so it still needs registered if used on public property? the way i take it.  yes
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2014, 06:16 AM »
Yes you need it registered. Even then not all counties allow ATVs on public roads.(city,county,state,fed)

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Happiness is a safe piece of ice.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:37 AM »
What's the laws on using ATV's and snowmobiles on the ice?  My Polaris 800 is registered with the state and I have the stickers on the sides.  Do I have to do anything else to be legal or am I already legal?

You are good to go.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I know that on the reservoirs they are not allowed,you'll see signs that say no off road vehicles. I've seen people ticketed for using them for ice fishing. You'll have to check regs for the body of water your on and county laws.
Depends if the reservoir is state or city owned and what city ordinances apply respectively if owned and maintained by the city.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2014, 10:39 AM »
As stated above, you are legal as you are.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:35 AM »
i have heard conflicting stories on this. so i wont say whats true. i have never used one yet.

another question for the ones that know. i was told if you have a farm that you didnt need tags on your wheelers. some farm vehicle deal?

Sorry I missed this Tim.  I assume you are referring to a quad having a "slow moving vehicle" sign or decal.  That would be the one that is triangular and has red, orange, yellow, and is reflective.  In my neck of the woods that is all that is required if it is used for farming purposes.  It better be equipped with something...a sprayer or what not.  But to run them down the road at high speeds does require them to be registered here and different counties vary on that. 

Offline bean counter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:40 AM »
Is a helmet required? or is it like motorcycle laws?

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Rico and Jigmeup, thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.  Geez, I'm not surprised then don't have you register like you do a boat and put numbers and letters on the sides LOL.  The way things are going, they might in the futures.  Thanks again guys and good fishing to you.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Is a helmet required? or is it like motorcycle laws?
Not in Indiana.
Michigan, yes.
Ohio, no.

Offline rico

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:51 PM »
Rico and Jigmeup, thanks guys, that's what I needed to know.  Geez, I'm not surprised then don't have you register like you do a boat and put numbers and letters on the sides LOL.  The way things are going, they might in the futures.  Thanks again guys and good fishing to you.

No problem on my end.  Same to ya.  I would also like to say that Jigmup touched on something very important, lakes do vary whether they allow them or not. 

And to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if one day in the near future that license plates just might be required!

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 04, 2014, 12:53 PM »
Not in Indiana.
Michigan, yes.
Ohio, no.
Really!?  So how do you go about registering your ATV so you can use it on the lakes in Michigan like you do a boat but you're a resident of Indiana?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Really!?  So how do you go about registering your ATV so you can use it on the lakes in Michigan like you do a boat but you're a resident of Indiana?
You simply buy an ORV sticker when purchasing your fishing license or you can get them at Wal-Mart I think but you must use a helmet in Michigan.

I think the sticker was $16 last year.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Just purchased a Mich. ORV permit for my Quad. $ 26.25, and good thru 3/31/2015. Was told it's normally $ 30 for the entire year. Got it online, thru Mi. DNR, and is being mailed to me.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2014, 04:57 PM »
You simply buy an ORV sticker when purchasing your fishing license or you can get them at Wal-Mart I think but you must use a helmet in Michigan.

I think the sticker was $16 last year.
Ok but mine is not a quad, it's an 800 with the dump bed on the back and can seat two people up front.  Is that considered the same as a quad?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Ok but mine is not a quad, it's an 800 with the dump bed on the back and can seat two people up front.  Is that considered the same as a quad?
It is considered an ORV (off road vehicle).

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:04 PM »
If it's considered an off road vehicle. It don't specify quad, but off road vehicle. I'm sure it should be considered an off road vehicle, but you might check their specifications.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 04, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Here ya go cclfak.

"Michigan law defines an ORV as any motor vehicle that can be operated cross-country (without benefit of a road or trail) over land, snow, and other natural terrain. This includes: multi-track or multi-wheeled vehicles; all-terrain vehicles (ATVs); motorcycles or related multi-wheeled vehicles; amphibious machines (water-to-land and back); hovercraft; and other vehicles that use mechanical power including 2- or 4-wheel-drive vehicles that are highway registered but operated off highways or off roads.
The following are not considered ORVs by Michigan law: registered snowmobiles; farm, construction, or logging vehicles when being used in usual work practices; and military, fire, emergency, and law enforcement vehicles."

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 04, 2014, 07:11 PM »
Well, guess I'll have to get a couple of helmets then.  Been looking for an excuse to get two helmets with the face shields.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:06 PM »
Michigan you need their orv sticker even if your quad is registered in indiana. But you do not need a michigan snowmobile trail permit to ride a sled on michigan waters your indiana sled stickers are all that are required provided you are only riding off a boat launch and not riding a state trail system to get to the waters edge.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.