The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Level Wind reels on the ice  (Read 2795 times)

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
Level Wind reels on the ice
« on: Dec 06, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Wondering what reels everyone is using on the ice.    I have two level wind reels that are useless in the cold -  the drag doesn't work at all.  They are perfect in the summer on nice warm days - - but once it drops below 40F something shrinks or expands in the gearing that makes them inoperable.   
 I generally spin off my braid in the summer on my spinning reels and put ice line on but I would like to be able to use my level winds.   Did I get two lemons or have others had the same issues in the cold with the level winds ??

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
Re: Level Wind reels on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2015, 07:57 PM »
   You might try cleaning your reels. I like the old bait casters with the click drag and it really let's a fish run with very little resistance. They work excellent with a medium rod in a rod holder.

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2015, 10:38 PM »
I bought 2 new inline reels from eagle claw this year and love them got the standard and the magnum. Typically have always just had small spinning reels but the inlines are awesome check them out. Got mine from fishusa.com least expensive place I found and could get the magnum. Amazon has standard for same price as fish USA

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2015, 08:35 AM »
Thanks guys - - I think I just had bad luck on my purchased reels.  Both are nearly brand new.  I looked at the eagle claw inlines and they certainly look sharp, and the price is right.

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2015, 09:52 PM »
Look at some youtube videos they have the free spool feature and gear ratio not like they were few years ago more of a fly reel where you strip line and 1x1 reel ratio pretty awesome love mine more I use them

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2015, 05:57 PM »
Thanks Lowens -   just ordered that Eagle Claw.... early present to myself !  The videos and reports looks fantastic.   Thanks for the recommendation.

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2015, 12:09 AM »
Hope you enjoy it!

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 12, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Two thumbs up on that Eagle Claw Magnum !   awesome reel all round.   It's already proved to be lucky - - second fish landed on it was a 12 lb mac, drag worked perfect-   

Offline laketrouter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 17, 2015, 07:13 PM »
Level wind is all I use and have had no problems.

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2015, 11:00 PM »
I use okuma depth counter level wind and they work good. The depth counter was nice to have before I had a marcum.
Come on fish!

Offline swwyocoyote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2015, 12:47 AM »
i have had couple Abu Garcia Ambassadeur C3 and C4's for 15 years plus and never had issues with them. Great drag and durability for a pretty decent price. Also have some Penn's that are super reliable.
Have had some standard/budget bait casters that "slip" in the winter, cleaned the grease out of them, used a quality reel oil and they all work with the exception of one.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:06 AM »
Two thumbs up on that Eagle Claw Magnum !   awesome reel all round.   It's already proved to be lucky - - second fish landed on it was a 12 lb mac, drag worked perfect-

Which one did you get, the Magnum or the Standard? 

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2015, 12:34 PM »
I have both advantage for magnum if your fishing Lakers deep you have plenty of line. Small one only holds 150ft 8lb like

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2015, 04:32 PM »
I enjoy using level wind reels and have a couple of the old style Shakespeare direct drive type.  It is the only time I use them and must ensure I do not get them wet but otherwise they work fine.  I also use other level winds at time and fly fishing reels.
olefish

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2015, 07:18 PM »
I think the standard will work fine for me since I'm going to load it with four pound test and use it for pan fish.  Do you happen to know what the line capacity for the standard is for four pound test?

Offline Lowens110

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2015, 08:30 PM »
Fish USA has the capacities listed but I believe 4lb is 300 yards

Offline fishall30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2016, 06:41 PM »
I use both levelwind and spinning. I also had trouble with levelwinds but I taped the drags in loose position when cold and use my thumb to adjust tension if needed. I fish for the big ole FATTY Lake Trout on Flaming Gorge and has worked great for me. 

Offline 307fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2016, 07:49 PM »
I finally sent my Abu Garcia Ambassador back and they confirmed that the reel was faulty.  Used the new one this weekend and no slippage.  But I got to say this new Eagle Claw  Magnum is the one...love it.  But, you do have to watch it,  if the eyes are iced and the line stops feeding the reel will continue to spool and can cause quite a mess.   Drag is solid and the free spool is excellent for dropping those jigs in deep water in a hurry. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.