The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hanging Lake  (Read 1716 times)

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hanging Lake
« on: Nov 13, 2010, 04:04 PM »
Just above Centennial there is a small lake along the road and it always freezes early so I drove up today to check it out. It's totally capped but the ice is only maybe 2 inches thick. They stock this lake every spring and by fall the fish are nice sized but they winterkill every year. Hopefully I'll make it back up there when the ice is thick enough and the fish are still alive. I've never timed it right, I'm always too early or the ice is 20 inches thick with no life left. It might be fishable in a few days or a couple weeks depending on the weather.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hanging Lake
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2010, 06:55 PM »
Hey let me know if you find it fishable... ;)
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Will do, I hate to see fish go to waste. So if I hit it at the right time I will encourage you all to go get your limit.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Very good point I will have to call my friends who eat fish ;D I need to get myself to eat fish it seems such a waste when I am turning loose at least 100 lbs. or more of meat a year ::)
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2010, 12:40 AM »
hey man, nothing wrong with turning em loose in most waters. I like to eat trout but I still put back 95% of them so they can get big.

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2010, 08:46 AM »
I have fished hanging lake during the summer, but didn't realized that it winter killed.  I have been itching to get out ice fishing and that would be the perfect excuse.  Keep us posted on the ice status.  Maybe I will go check it out at the end of this week.

Offline fishsmith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2010, 11:47 AM »
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaamen!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2010, 12:40 PM »
lol last year at granite I walked all over and cut holes looking for a place where I COULDN'T catch a stocker. I failed, but I did catch very unhealthy looking 5lb bow by the dam. Its definitely a good place to take a kid fishing though. If you got electronics you will see that they suspend all through the water column.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2010, 01:35 PM »
If you want to avoid stockers at granite, use bigger tackle. I like 3 inch tube jigs, you usually catch bigger more aggressive fish.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #9 on: Nov 16, 2010, 01:39 PM »
nope no perch. I think they are thicker in Crystal though
Tu ne cede malis

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:57 AM »
Going up to give it a look today.  I will let you guys know what I find.  May also try to get to Owen.

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Wahoo!!!  Hit the first hard water of the season! :)  Caught 3 small bows, nothing to write home about, but it was through the ice!  There is about 6" of cloudy ice, some places a little deeper.  The edge is weak of course.  Makes you a little nervous venturing out on the ice.  I was not the first one out there as there were some older holes punched through.  The snow up on the top next to the road is a little deeper then I expected.  You will see where I had a little trouble getting back out if you do venture up there.  May have to see how lake Owen is doing next.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2010, 07:40 PM »
I will be up there tomorrow! Thanks for the info :bow:
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2010, 11:13 PM »
alright, thanks for checking it out today wyoming_man. I've been on call for work and haven't been able to leave town. I'm a little jealous but I'm glad that the lake is getting fished. Good luck tomorrow Taz.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Well was all loaded up and started out 130 and realized I could not see the mountain :'( Figured I should play it safe so I went to the river for bait and didn't catch anything...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2010, 04:46 PM »
Taz-  Have you been up to, or know someone who has been up to Brooklyn this year?  I was thinking of going up there on Friday.  Been a month of below freezing temps up there.  Maybe Little Brooklyn?

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:12 PM »
Nope never been there and have heard very little about it. I think that is the lake a few guys said they had over 100 brookies between them last season...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Thinkin of heading up to brooklyn this coming weekend for an equipment tune up. You will catch lots of splake and brookies.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Thinkin of heading up to brooklyn this coming weekend for an equipment tune up. You will catch lots of splake and brookies.
We may have to meet up next weekend up there!  I'll bring the chili!

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Do they plow into it or is it a hike in? I am stuck with just my car so I don't want to be pushing things...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:56 PM »
You drive until the road is closed. Its right at where the snowmobiling lodge is. You have a 2.5 mile walk after that. The snow is packed down by a trail groomer so its not that bad.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Cool thanks Trog i was just wondering how much time I needed to plan...
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:39 PM »
me and Taz hit Hanging Lake today, it was a good way to start the season. The ice was 7 inches thick, except the edges are soft so be careful or you'll get wet boots like we did. I got 4 bows and Taz got 5, also we missed some bites and I lost two at the hole. All in all a good day on the ice. I would encourage anyone who hasn't been out yet to go hit it up, just be careful there is a lot of snow in the parking area.

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2010, 07:55 PM »
It feels so good to have hit the ice!!! Thanks again 327 don't think taking the car would have been smart ;D
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2010, 09:50 PM »
awesome guys, nice job!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.