The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Healy  (Read 2591 times)

Offline BIG WEST

• Team IceShanty Regular
Healy
« on: Feb 05, 2009, 08:52 PM »
thinking of going to healy this weekend. i havent been for the last two seasons due because the perch being so small. i used to fish it all the time catching good size perch and some nice trout. i heard that the size of the perch is on the increase, and would great if i could get some feedback to see if those perch are getting any bigger. ive been spending alot of time at tounge river res. the fishing has been alright seeing alot of big crappie. although it seems to be slowing down so i thought id give healy another shot. so any info on healy would be greatly appreciated. thanks alot guys&gals and good luck fishing

Offline pokefan1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Healy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:42 PM »
would love to be able to tell you different but, the fishing in healy has still been in a decline since the last time you fished it.
you can can hundreds of them in a day if you try but very few of them will be over 4-5 inches long. Its a great place to go and take kids to fish because of the shear numbers but the quality just isnt there like it used to be.
Hope this helps.

Keep calm and return fire...

Offline PAT93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2009, 02:01 PM »
would love to be able to tell you different but, the fishing in healy has still been in a decline since the last time you fished it.
you can can hundreds of them in a day if you try but very few of them will be over 4-5 inches long. Its a great place to go and take kids to fish because of the shear numbers but the quality just isnt there like it used to be.
Hope this helps.

I found the same thing 2 weeks ago. tiny perch.

Offline 40below

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Me & Chops
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2009, 04:12 PM »
Ya went 2 Tongue River last weekend pretty slow, mainly just trying for pike. You,ll 4 sure catch a load of perch at healy but they haven't changed in size still small.  Where did you run into the crappie at out at the rez? been having a hard time getting on them :tipup:
Work can kiss my grits, i'm goin ice fishin!!

Offline emholden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I used to ice fish Healy regularly before there were even perch in the lake and had great success on good sized trout! It used to be really fun fishing our vexilars in 30' of water and jigging about 15' down, you would see a fish come through a few feet above or below the jig, drop down to it or reel up to it and you had a great fight on your hands. A couple years later I was there and I started catching small perch. A couple more years and the perch got to be about 8"-11" and the fishing was great!! The next year was good but the number of fisherman easily quadrupled!!!
After that the perch have been tiny and the trout almost nonexistent. What needs to be done for this lake to get good again? I would like a 10 perch a day limit added to the lake to see if that would allow for those fish to get some age on them allowing them to grow to 8"+. It used to be a great place to spend a Wonderful Wyoming Weekend!!!

emholden
Eat, Sleep, Teach, Get Outdoors!

Offline Perchcrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2009, 11:50 PM »
There is a rumor going around that when game and fish net this spring at lake desmet, they are going to take the walleye and put them in healy.  I think that would turn things around and then there would be walleye to catch also :laugh:
A Bad day of fishing in better than a Good day at Work!!!

Offline emholden

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2009, 09:05 AM »
That sounds like a great idea dropping some walleyes in there. I hope it turns out to be more than a rumor!

Perchcrazy have you fished Muddy Guard this winter for trout?
Eat, Sleep, Teach, Get Outdoors!

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Id be happy if the G&F would quit netting the wallys out of desmet. The fish are in there to stay so why not let the fisherman go fish for them. Trust me there is plenty of lake for both the walleye and trout.

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2009, 12:34 AM »
If you want to help the perch get bigger in Healy, keep everyone you catch (within your limit of course).  Those fish aren't big because they don't have enough food to go around.  Perch are not like trout, time is not a good determinant of their size.  Walleyes would be good for the perch in there because they would help control the population.
I release all trout...cause they taste that bad.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2009, 12:28 PM »
Putt'n wallys in healy is a great idea. There would be some stud walleye in no time with all the 4" perch in there.

Offline IcenEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's A Friggin Record Breaker.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Unemployed, You took the words out of my mouth. As far as the Walleye coming out of Desmet, I believe the Gill Nets Kill the Fish that get stuck in them. So that doesn't make sense to me. I do know that they are worried about the Sauger population in Clear Creek being mixed with the Walleye. I only hope that they stock something that will eat the Perch. Keep 50 We Need Tiger Muskie :tipup:

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2009, 12:13 AM »
I fished Healy today for two hours, maybe ten feet of water, wax worms were key. Kept every perch I caught, just under a limit.  I did catch an 8" perch amist all the 4's and 5's.  It was ultra skinny though.  Saw three bigger largemouths on my camera...15"+ but no takers.  I was not aware they were in there.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:37 AM »
I heard they put some bass in there but I thought they were smallies????

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 20, 2009, 10:58 AM »
Anyone know how many bass they put in their? They aught to put a little dent in the perch population to help out.

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:50 PM »
These were definitely largemouth.  I wish they would have been smallmouth.

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2009, 06:42 PM »
good glad to hear about the bass. Did you see any trout. That used to be a good res for big trout but the last few yrs seems like the trout are gone. Or maybe thay are just engorging themselves on baby perch???

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2009, 10:20 PM »
I didn't see any trout, but my camera was pointed toward the bottom so I could watch the perch.

Offline Mooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hey Smitty, Lets fish it! Jigmaster5000's oarman
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2009, 02:21 PM »
We caught a LM about 3 pounds about 5 years ago in the channel where the water rolls out

In pursuit of meat without feet!!!!

Offline dwilliams

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slammin' Slabs
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2009, 11:07 PM »
Wow, I haven't fished Healy in 14 years.  When I was a kid we didn't even call it Healy.  It was an awesome trout fishery when I left.  I still have a nice cutthroat on the wall that came from there in '92.  It's interesting to know that there are perch and bass in there now.

Offline eve21

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 02, 2009, 03:17 PM »
Anyone make it out to healy this last weekend?  Wondering how the ice is?  Looking for one more good day with the fast action for the little kids but don't want to mess with bad ice either.
-Tight Lines
-If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 02, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Anyone make it out to healy this last weekend?  Wondering how the ice is?  Looking for one more good day with the fast action for the little kids but don't want to mess with bad ice either.
was there saturday with a buddy... lunch at pistol pete's cafe in buffalo then onto healy... marked tons of fish and the ice was good but the bites were slow... caught most on a small silver kastmaster with a dropper hook stuffed with maggots and waxies. good luck!  :icefish:

Offline unemployed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2009, 10:49 PM »
Blasted the perch today in 3-5 ft of water...wasn't much going on any deeper.  Ice was suprizingly good, 10" and solid, not rotton.  Saw one bass on the cam but didn't take.  Feel good about taking kids out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.