Author Topic: Planning to buy a new set of Tip-ups, any suggestions?  (Read 5814 times)

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Looking into buying a new set of 5 for this season to junk my old ones. Anyone have any links to some company's that make some that i may not find on my own? Going to Google it to try to find some. I would like some really good quality ones that will last me the next 10 years.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Planning to buy a new set of Tip-ups, any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Indian Hill Ice Traps
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline S.M.05

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 6 days of work, 1 day of trout.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:11 AM »
 Im planning on upgrading this year as well and will be ordering several 31" Jack traps with the large spools.
Build quality looks great, no wind flags, good selection, and it has that ma and pa small business pride.

Heres the link http://www.jacktraps.com/
If you cant ride it, drink it or bring home it to bed, it aint worth having!

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Indian Hill Ice Traps

Thats a local guy who makes those right?

Offline justlooking9

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:40 AM »
How long does it take for them to be made?

What payment does he accept? cash/check only?

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 11, 2010, 10:55 AM »
WHat do you prefer? Cross of fold flats? I was leanign to fold flats.

Offline laweidauer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:15 AM »
I have a set of older jack traps and love them when it isn't too cold and once it gets colder a piece of carpet keeps the holes open.  IMO they're as sensitive as anything on the market

Offline tipupfrenzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:18 AM »
we use ht polar II tipups.  they seem to last the punishment of numerous 20 pound plus pike, 40 below degrees celcius and even getting run over by a truck.  i have had 12 for the past 4 years, and the only problem i have had is the spool breaking if your hole is froze over, and a guy gets rammy.
Fishing is a tough job, but im willing to Tackle it!

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:20 AM »
PM'd Mike so i should get all my questions answered.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:25 AM »
I've got the Indian Hill traps and I love them! I wont use another Tip Up again.

Ive got the fold flat models, bought a set of 5.

Good luck!
-Scott

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:29 AM »
osmo you should put this up on the mass board a lot of mass guys run indian hills just to get an idea of what poeples preferences are and why :tipup: :tipup:
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2010, 11:30 AM »
osmo you should put this up on the mass board a lot of mass guys run indian hills just to get an idea of what poeples preferences are and why :tipup: :tipup:

Good idea.

Offline IceBalls

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I FISH BECAUSE THE VOICES IN MY HEAD TELL ME TO!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I like the "layflat design" hardwood tips similar to the Frabill 1664 Classics.  Let me tell you why......

1.  The body of these tip ups is a piece of solid wood (usually Oak) so is much tougher that the "stick" body tips, and will not break as easily.

2.  The tripping device also acts as an indicator of whether the fish is running or stopped.  Even if you cannot see down the hole to your spool, you still know if your quarry is moving or not.

3 There are two settings on the flag tripper so you can set light for smaller species and heavier for large fish.

4  They fold down flat and neat for transport.

Average price for this style tip up is $20.....and they'll last forever.  Been using mine for 40 years and they still look new.

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:07 PM »
I like Heritage Lakers.  If you fish in deep snow, they have one of the highest flags of most tip ups.  I have had several for many years.  They are rugged and work well.  They have an adjustable drag and virtually no wind flags.  Not to mention fish307 sells them.  An official sponsor of iceshanty.com.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Offline Skidda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Thats why they call it fishin, not catchin........
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:39 PM »
I like Heritage Lakers.  If you fish in deep snow, they have one of the highest flags of most tip ups.  I have had several for many years.  They are rugged and work well.  They have an adjustable drag and virtually no wind flags.  Not to mention fish307 sells them.  An official sponsor of iceshanty.com.
(Image removed from quote.)

I have a couple of set of the heritage traps and love them! I tend to favor my first set with the aluminum reels, the reason is the new plastic reels seem to be more sensitive to the position of the flag, have lost a couple of fish due to the flag not tripping.

There is nothing like checking your traps and seeing the reel spooled with no flag popping up then losing half your line because it has been wrapped around an underwater obstruction. JMO  :tipup:

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2010, 05:49 AM »
I like the Frabils, The Polars work well too, just keep them off the quad trails.

Offline Jumbo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2010, 10:15 AM »
I bought a set of Indian Hill Ice Traps last year and love them!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:52 AM »
JackTraps!

Offline JimB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone thinking

Offline northernfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:59 PM »
  I love my Heritage Lakers, Very tuff tip up.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:19 AM »
Looking into buying a new set of 5 for this season to junk my old ones. Anyone have any links to some company's that make some that i may not find on my own? Going to Google it to try to find some. I would like some really good quality ones that will last me the next 10 years.

Osmo, being an unemployed Michigan angle I would love to talk to you aout purchasing the traps you wish to junk. Might be able to keep them going for a few years with some work. Send me a PM if you have any interest in such an arangement.

RL

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Oct 13, 2010, 12:58 AM »
I have had the HT traps, the plastic traps, and my buddy has Jacktrap which, in my opinion is Garbage, but thats just my opinion.  I now have a set of Heritage Lakers.  Fished literally every Sunday Monday with them for the past 3 years and have never had one wind flag.  I LOVE them.  the adjustable drag is key and they are super sensative not to mention the clearance in snow.  Heritage tackle is the company to invest in.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 13, 2010, 06:52 PM »
No one suggested Beaver Dams?

Love them, and won't use anything else.  Yes they lay flat, and if you're fishing deep snow all the time they aren't easy to see, but if you wan't something that will last forever, I know of nothing better.

Many guys are using tip-ups around here that are 40 years old or more, and they still work perfectly. ;D
http://www.beaverdamtipup.com/index.cfm

Offline jcrow931

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 13, 2010, 07:01 PM »
indian hills are the best. I have 12 flat 30" and 2 cross 36".  I prefer the flats, but the 36" are nice in deep snow or if you want to set one far away.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 13, 2010, 07:04 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=154098.0

Looking to pick a color for the flag/center pole. ANyone have any issues with black flags and visibility?

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:23 PM »
No one suggested Beaver Dams?

Love them, and won't use anything else.  Yes they lay flat, and if you're fishing deep snow all the time they aren't easy to see, but if you wan't something that will last forever, I know of nothing better.

Many guys are using tip-ups around here that are 40 years old or more, and they still work perfectly. ;D
http://www.beaverdamtipup.com/index.cfm

i love my beaver dams as well. Had been outta the ice fishing scene for a while, and got back into it last season. Picked up a set of beaver dams, and they worked flawlessly all winter. Cant wait to get em back out this season!!  If you really dig you will find about a million threads with equally as many opinions about favorite tip ups. It seems that there are quite a few within a variety of price ranges to get the job done well. Let us know what you go with. Cheers,Chris

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:35 PM »
i love my beaver dams as well. Had been outta the ice fishing scene for a while, and got back into it last season. Picked up a set of beaver dams, and they worked flawlessly all winter. Cant wait to get em back out this season!!  If you really dig you will find about a million threads with equally as many opinions about favorite tip ups. It seems that there are quite a few within a variety of price ranges to get the job done well. Let us know what you go with. Cheers,Chris

I went with Indian Hill. I got Mike making 10 30' flat folds with red stained center pole and red flags. Cant wait to get em. I might sleep with them by my pillow for a few weeks. Might have to make the wife sleep on the couch so she doesnt get jealous and keep me and the traps up late.   :roflmao: :clap: :roflmao: :clap:

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Good call. I have heard nothing but great things about them, and have been debating adding some to my arsenal as well. 

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 14, 2010, 09:17 PM »
I love my heritage lakers and have had no trouble,  like how they are tall to see from a way.   but............If I had the cash Id spring for Jack Traps Ive fished with lots of guys who have them and they are built rock solid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.