Author Topic: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"  (Read 820599 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: My Homemade $15 Sled! AKA The "Smitty Sled"
« Reply #1890 on: Aug 17, 2019, 02:23 PM »
I've been working on mine when I had some time which during this time of the year isn't very much.  I just got done hauling two tons of coal so I'm off to a good start there and can focus on finishing my smitty sled.  I've been thinking about painting, well trying to is more like it, an ice fishing scene on each of my risers but my drawing abilities aren't the best. 

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1891 on: Aug 18, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Here is what I did for smitty  sled #2:

(Image removed from quote.)

I wanted to make the sled lighter, still be toolless assembly, but strong enough to carry the weight.  I also wanted  the option of 4 wheels. The last smitty had wheels mounted off the back of the skis so you could pick up the front of the sled and roll it across the parking lot.  Worked good on the level but not so good when you were trying to to pull it up the long steep boat ramps we have in our low water reservoirs. So this is what I came up with.

I went with 3/4" acx plywood for my risers instead of 2x's. I can't believe how much of a weight savings this was. I secured the risers with some aluminum angle to the skis.
On the top of the cross bars you have vertical pieces with bungee attached. what are these for? I love the design

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #1892 on: Sep 02, 2019, 09:16 AM »
Time to start building your Smitty's boys.....tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline alaska mike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1893 on: Sep 02, 2019, 06:38 PM »
On the top of the cross bars you have vertical pieces with bungee attached. what are these for? I love the design

The vertical pieces are on both ends of the cross bars. One side holds my auger as pictured and the other side holds my spud bar. The bungee's I use to strap the auger and spud bar down. Thanks for "I love the design".
Any day on the ice with little to no wind, is a darn good day.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1894 on: Sep 30, 2019, 10:38 AM »
The vertical pieces are on both ends of the cross bars. One side holds my auger as pictured and the other side holds my spud bar. The bungee's I use to strap the auger and spud bar down. Thanks for "I love the design".
saw in your pics that you used corner brackets on both sides of the 3/4" plywood uprights. is this necessary? I have 6' of 1-1/8" x 1/8" corner bracket

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1895 on: Oct 07, 2019, 01:10 PM »
New!! Considering just selling the risers separately if anyone was interested.....that is the hardest part to make of the kit......had an inquiry this morning....you can email me your questions.....tight lines
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #1896 on: Oct 15, 2019, 02:04 PM »
So a quick question. Noticed most of the pictures of sleds have the leading riser cut to an angle. Is this because it looks good, or is it functional? Just wondering.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1897 on: Oct 15, 2019, 02:14 PM »
So a quick question. Noticed most of the pictures of sleds have the leading riser cut to an angle. Is this because it looks good, or is it functional? Just wondering.
Keep it safe! JDL

Looks and its cuts down on weight some ..on mine I used a 2x3 instead of 2x4 for same purpose.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #1898 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:05 PM »
Looks and its cuts down on weight some ..on mine I used a 2x3 instead of 2x4 for same purpose.
Thanks! Just two more cuts if not needed. Agree it looks better.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #1899 on: Oct 15, 2019, 04:10 PM »
I also think those cuts make it slice thru deep snow too.when snow is deep powder the smitty sinks in and doesnt ride on top of the snow,so the angled front risers cut thru better than square.jmo.i put angles on mine.

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1900 on: Oct 17, 2019, 05:29 AM »
Keep it safe! JDL
I cut the angles on the risers to help cut through the snow better & also for looks.....tight lines

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #1901 on: Oct 17, 2019, 06:33 AM »
I cut the angles on the risers to help cut through the snow better & also for looks.....tight lines
First I have said this before but once again you must be pretty proud that your simple little design caught fire like it did!
Second just any angle or like 45 degree? Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1902 on: Oct 18, 2019, 08:04 AM »
First I have said this before but once again you must be pretty proud that your simple little design caught fire like it did!
Second just any angle or like 45 degree? Thanks!
Keep it safe! JDL
My kit is cut at 40 degrees.....

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1903 on: Oct 24, 2019, 05:50 AM »
I'm a quality engineer at an aerospace firm... what's the tolerance on that angle? LOL! ;D

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #1904 on: Oct 29, 2019, 03:06 PM »
I'm a quality engineer at an aerospace firm... what's the tolerance on that angle? LOL! ;D
There is one in every crowd. NL

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #1905 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:12 PM »
I did a search but didn't see anything on using snowboards for the skis...any experiences or thoughts on this?
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #1906 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:17 PM »
I did a search but didn't see anything on using snowboards for the skis...any experiences or thoughts on this?
my bud tried it.it would not track straight and rocked left and right.not good.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1907 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:29 PM »
my bud tried it.it would not track straight and rocked left and right.not good.

Thanks Jay...buddy has a pair and wants to try them. I'll have a word with him.😉

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #1908 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:30 PM »

There is one in every crowd. NL

Maybe... There's two of us!  ::) :roflmao:

That angle is probably variable depending on the depth and density of the snow. I would think an adjustable angle for optimum performance would be most efficient. I believe a DOE is in order!
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #1909 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:34 PM »
Just this morning I picked up my free pair of skis (thanks kayl!). I've got thoughts of making a basic frame that can be attached to any of the three sleds I own. Looking for a suitable angle in aluminum for risers. I would think 1/4 Al would be fine not flexing in 4 - 6" heights. Might have to do a little fabrication on that part. Helps to "know a guy"  ;D

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #1910 on: Nov 13, 2019, 04:39 PM »
Thanks Jay...buddy has a pair and wants to try them. I'll have a word with him.😉
he started out with 2 then 1 both resulted in a left right sway.maybe cut in half idk.my buds was kind of a smitty but more of a big box that held gear on the snowboards.

Offline jjxx84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #1911 on: Nov 16, 2019, 11:21 PM »
Just about to build my sled since I procrastinated all spring and summer.  Looking through the threads and was wondering why don't I see more people bolting down the sled to the risers?  I'm thinking about screwing in threaded rods into the risers and then drilling holes into the 2x4's and in the sled lining everything up and then securing it from inside the sled with a nut or nut caps or something.  I just don't like the idea of having a loose sled being secured to the risers with bungee cords.

Offline 4x4Dad

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1912 on: Nov 17, 2019, 05:15 AM »
Unless your going to unbolt it Evey time for transporting , the original design is for breakdown purposes . But , your personal design is what makes the Smitty Sled popular . Every one is unique for the builders purpose . Best of luck and please post pictures of your design .

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1913 on: Nov 17, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Just about to build my sled since I procrastinated all spring and summer.  Looking through the threads and was wondering why don't I see more people bolting down the sled to the risers?  I'm thinking about screwing in threaded rods into the risers and then drilling holes into the 2x4's and in the sled lining everything up and then securing it from inside the sled with a nut or nut caps or something.  I just don't like the idea of having a loose sled being secured to the risers with bungee cords.

It won't sway as much as you might think...at least mine doesn't. But if you're concerned with it you could do a couple of things:
1) Attach a length (upright) of 2X4  at each end of the cross members as stabilizers.
2) My buddy used turnbuckles on his. It works great but still takes more time than hooking a bungee cord.

For those that do use bungees, another friend of mine removed one of the hooks on each and used a washer and screw and attached to the riser.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #1914 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Another option with bungees is i use eye bolts in my risers and bend one hook  on the bungees
 so it fixed to the eyebolt then i only have to strap and hook one hook.pretty quick.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1915 on: Nov 17, 2019, 07:36 AM »
I see that a lot of you use bungee cords to hold your sleds down. I tried that but my sled almost slipped off the Smitty. I since went to cinch straps

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #1916 on: Nov 17, 2019, 08:30 AM »
Another option with bungees is i use eye bolts in my risers and bend one hook  on the bungees
 so it fixed to the eyebolt then i only have to strap and hook one hook.pretty quick.

Exactly what I do Doc.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1917 on: Nov 17, 2019, 08:40 AM »
I see that a lot of you use bungee cords to hold your sleds down. I tried that but my sled almost slipped off the Smitty. I since went to cinch straps

Tried bungees same problem you described ..I have since switch to cam buckles..I also made my cross braces a little longer ..so if my sled slides back the strap cinches up some because of the braces.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1918 on: Nov 17, 2019, 08:46 AM »
Many ways to skin that cat, esp if you have been in the cat skinning business as long as some of us---I'd opt for canoe straps(the non-ratchet kind)
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1919 on: Nov 17, 2019, 09:46 AM »
I use the non-ratchet ones. quick and easy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.