Author Topic: Filleting Perch?  (Read 17605 times)

Offline tbone303

• IceShanty Rookie
Filleting Perch?
« on: Feb 25, 2015, 03:27 PM »
Hello all, was wondering how many here remove the lateral line of bones while filleting their perch? Is it worth the time doing so?

Offline SKAMPO

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Filleting Perch?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Unless it's an extreme pig, they will cook out just fine. Even on smaller walleye's you don't have to worry about getting them all out.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2015, 05:26 AM »
Never do
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline barrelslime

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2015, 01:39 PM »
Iv always wonderded, cause we don't have perch around here, do any of you scale perch or always fillet?
Biggest Crappie 17 1/2 "

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2015, 06:32 PM »
Iv always wonderded, cause we don't have perch around here, do any of you scale perch or always fillet?

I scale 90% of my perch.(More flavor)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 06, 2015, 03:31 AM »
I cut around the ribs all the time because I have two little ones and won't take any chances with bones.

Offline Channel Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2015, 05:24 AM »
X2 on taking the lateral bones out.  I fillet and remove skin with electric knife when I get home, rinse a few times then let them set in a bowl/pot in a cold place overnight.  Following day they are plumped up and firm.  Much easier to take the entire rib cage out.  Start with a cut above the lateral bones (usually a darker line shows where they are) and back behind where the back of the belly is, slide the blade down and along the vertical bones and cut through.  Then place blade below the lateral bones on the ribs them self, make cut down to ribs, press hard and rotate blade horizontal, press on ribs and slice the belly fillet off of the ribs.  The only place I ever have a small problem with a bone left behind is the bottom part of last rib at the back end so I always rub my finger over that area to be sure I got it out.  A few of my friends leave the lateral bones in.  They take their knife and make a small slice at the forward bottom part of the ribs then grab the exposed ribs between blade ant thumb and rip the ribs out.  It works better if you let them set overnight.  I've tried it after filleting them same day and I knew I had no time the following day to debone and I tore up and lost some meat because they were not firm and plump.

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2015, 09:06 AM »
I suck as a filleter. Always sad to see soo many fish and such a small bowl of meat. I want to cook them whole next time like a trout. Is scaling them just scraping them off with something or is there more to it? Thinking instead of scaling in house and redecorating the walls and ceiling, i would do it on the ice and put collected scales down hole as a glittering fluttering attractant. Do a few at a time during lulls in action. So, best way to cook whole perch? cheers

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2016, 11:18 AM »
I always take the extra time to cut out the lateral line bones.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:09 PM »
I've just filleted for maximum meat.  Drape each fillet over fingers/hand so it bends but just a bit.   Easy to see the larger end of those bones ~just pull them out one at the time.  When you think you have them all out, rub a finger tip from back toward the head end and you'll find another.  This way equates to zero loss of meat.    It's how us cavemen do it.       ;)2

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:05 PM »
most of the perch i keep to eat are in the 7"-8" range, so saving the meat around the ribcage really doesn't earn me much. i just cut the ribs (and lateral line bones) out wholesale. for bigger fish i'll do the extra work, but i never leave any bones in fish.

Offline Westsloper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's always something in my icehole!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:59 PM »
They cook out just fine. The same with walleyes, unless they're in the 20+ inch range.
Jiggin up jumbos!

Offline Super-ice-bird

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That's a fifth next to that brown!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2016, 10:32 AM »
I usually got to go through 100 or more at a time so I use a rapala electric knife and then my fishing buddy's fillet out the ribs and skin them, assembly line style.
Come on fish!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:01 AM »
I usually got to go through 100 or more at a time so I use a rapala electric knife and then my fishing buddy's fillet out the ribs and skin them, assembly line style.

Same here. I always fillet mine to get those worms out of the meat.
Just add water.

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 25, 2016, 11:37 PM »
Mr. Twister electric knife.  35 - 40 seconds a fish big or small.  I do use a regular flet knife to remove the belly bones.  If I can get the wife to help, she takes out the belly bones.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Dec 26, 2016, 12:59 AM »

Same here. I always fillet mine to get those worms out of the meat.

True, they do contain more protein for nourishment but, I have an aversion to the off taste.

The fillet is much more tasty ~ eat what you're acclimated too.     ;)2

Thanks for your considerate and gracious input SHaRPS.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #16 on: Dec 26, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Fillet? to get out worms? Hmmmm...must be a new technique.  ::)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline BowHunter1527

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2017, 09:45 PM »
Always get the bones out, its just as fast as not doing it. Cooking them out is not cooking down so one way or another your taking them out.
"Did you  clip your barbs,  you remember to clip your barbs."

Chute82

« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2017, 07:18 AM »
My father's buddy worked on the commercial fishing boats on Lake Erie back in the day.  Cutting a pair of pants was the way he cleaned fish,  Fastest person I have ever seen clean fish.  In the video you can see the pair of pants after they are done.  Of course the commercial guys keep on the skin and belly meat for more weight to sell at the market. 

Offline BlackDogAlpha

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2017, 12:58 PM »
That video is amazing. Now, when they sell these fillets, how are they treating the skin side which in the video doesnt appear to be scaled. If you flash freeze them, you would still need to either skin or scale which would be a huge PITA, unless they are eaten without the skin. And you can see they keep the ribs on as well.

Offline Northern_MN Outdoorsan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2017, 01:44 PM »
Fair amount of wasted meat in that video. Fastest is not always best.

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2017, 03:40 PM »
Black Dog,
  The fish in the video have been run thru a commercial scaling machine. I use a smaller version at home, I've also seen some home built models. Filleting is much easier and dulls your knife less after scaling.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline twd000

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2018, 02:33 PM »
"none of the above" for me

instead of filleting or scaling, I skin them like the guy in this video:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2019, 12:26 PM »
I always take the extra time to cut out the lateral line bones.

Sometimes I do...sometimes I don't. Same with other pannies. When fillets are hot out of the oil, pan, etc. those bones are nice and soft. But if you pull a leftover fillet  from the fridge to munch on, they  are hard again. I don't mind them, but my wife does so I generally take them out.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.