Author Topic: Runaway Snowdog!!! and a small miracle.  (Read 5312 times)

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Runaway Snowdog!!! and a small miracle.
« on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:46 PM »
After trudging and catching a nice limit of Lakers, I finally got back to my Snowdog and hitched everything up for the ride home.

BUT, when I started it up I  must have hit the throttle and the gas stuck wide open and my Snowdog took off across the lake towing everything and leaving me standing with my mouth open in disbelief. :o

I watched scooting across the ice with my Livescope, camera, Nils Auger, etc. and finally started running through knee-deep snow after it. It could go a couple miles on that lake if it would have gone straight, but luckily it started to veer slightly left. I was running as hard as I could and hit slush but kept on going.  After a while the Snowdog and sleds disappeared in a bay to my right. I kept on running, imagining what will happen when it hits a boulder or tree on the shoreline. As I started around the point of the bay, here comes the Snowdog again! Somehow it had glanced off a cedar and that turned in around and it was heading back out of the bay towards the lake.

Luckily, it again veered to the right aiming directly towards the shore. I was just standing there wondering what would happen next. I saw a small miracle. There was an 8 foot opening in the woods with a steep upwards bank. The Snowdog and sleds hit the hole and started uphill, but the before it went 20 feet it hit a boulder and laid over on its side in waist-deep snow. It STOPPED and sat with the throttle still wide-open but not going anywhere.

I finally was able to run up to its track and follow it to the shoreline and hit the "kill switch." I then just sat down with my chest heaving. I disconnected the two sleds and pulled them back to the lake. I spent 30 minutes digging out the Snowdog and getting it turned around. I checked the throttle cable and things seemed normal. Finally, I got it started back up and it was once again my obedient Dog. I was relieved that it actually worked with no apparent damage to either the Snowdog or the sleds and contents! I was also glad not to have to walk another 3 miles back to the cabin across a windy lake.

I got everything hitched back up and started home - grateful that I was in one piece, the Snowdog still worked and I had a limit of lakers to clean once I got back to the cabin.

I debated about sharing the story, but I thought it was more than worth it to give all of you a laugh on me.   ;D ;D ;D

Snowdog and sleds safely home.

2 nice Lakers.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Runaway Snowdog!!! and a small miracle.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:55 PM »
Wow Man U got lucky !  Glad it worked out for u ...
Budweiser pro staff

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2020, 01:58 PM »
Damn at least it was a good outcome!!maybe install a kill switch tether on the dog..a few years back i fixed a old chapparal snowmobile and my buddy was test riding it.well the handle bars snapped off pulling the throttle cables full throttle and my buddy hopped off and watched the sled go into the woods at 75mph then heard a explosion as it smacked a tree.sled was beyond totaled.it hit so hard it popped both sparkplugs out of the cylinders and broke the cylinder bolts clean off.my bud would of been dead if he took that ride!

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:03 PM »
Damn at least it was a good outcome!!maybe install a kill switch tether on the dog..a few years back i fixed a old chapparal snowmobile and my buddy was test riding it.well the handle bars snapped off pulling the throttle cables full throttle and my buddy hopped off and watched the sled go into the woods at 75mph then heard a explosion as it smacked a tree.sled was beyond totaled.it hit so hard it popped both sparkplugs out of the cylinders and broke the cylinder bolts clean off.my bud would of been dead if he took that ride!

Wow, that was the sort of thing I was imagining happening while I watched it zooming away. It would have been slower and smaller scale, but a similar outcome. VERY grateful everything is still intact and as good as new. God is good.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:05 PM »
Helpless feeling for sure.i cant imagine watching the snowdog and all your gear going on a solo mission.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:14 PM »
DANGIT Gunflint! I just blew Pepsi out my nose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :o :o :o

I could picture the scene perfectly!  ;D ;D ;D
Where's the FISH?!

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:18 PM »
Yakety Sax was playing in my head as I continued to read your tale!

Glad all is still functional and no one got hurt

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:22 PM »
LOL can you make a map of the path it took?
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:22 PM »
Does the SnowDog have a kill switch? ( turns off if you fall off kind of thing?)

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:29 PM »
You should write a book about your  stories/ escapades......      ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:38 PM »
Glad you, your rig and gear are home safe and sound.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Does the SnowDog have a kill switch? ( turns off if you fall off kind of thing?)
  Yes, but I wasn’t on it yet.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:45 PM »

This has Patrick McManus written all over it...  ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:48 PM »
I'm for a deadman switch Gunflint. I've run boats of all kinds for 50 years and never clipped on the lanyard. Until two years ago. I made a maneuver to avoid hitting a careless and ignorant pontoon load of chatty Kathys. I turned back to try to stay inside the channel markers knowing what was outside of them (2 FOW and giant boulders). Next thing I knew I was on the floor of the boat, near full throttle, outside the buoys. I rolled over and slapped at the throttle remarkably before anything was damaged. I was going about 60 when that took place.

It's still sinking in on the "what could have happened" including getting thrown completely out of the boat, wrecking lower unit, hitting/damaging other boaters.  I was so, so, so fortunate. Still trust how I drive but you can never rely on others knowing what they're doing. In this case it was the pontoon taking a hard left directly in front of an oncoming craft.

Glad you got your ride back GF. That's right in the same vein as chasing your unanchored shack/sled across the lake in a good stiff breeze.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:51 PM »
Here are some photos I went back to collect.

Where it hit cedar and turned back out.

Hole in the woods that finally stopped it.

Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Sylvanboat

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2020, 02:52 PM »

You should do a video.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:03 PM »
Holy beezle bubs user error to the max!  ;D

There's just something about wearing big mitts and knocking switches and levers with them.  I always hate that while I'm driving and my signals or wipers levers are knocked.

If only you had a go pro on.  :o
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:08 PM »
i cant even lie i laughed so hard when i read this lol
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:22 PM »
You know your dog is suppose to on a leash when out in public. Glad it all worked out for you...h2l
Northville, NY

Offline WALL E GATOR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:32 PM »
So other than the snow dog running loose with all your gear, how do you like that machine. Been looking at them and think they are a good solution. So beyond put the kill switch tether on before starting up, any other pros n cons you have to report on the snowdog? I really like the idea of not having a trailer to try to park n turnaround, probably get a hitch hauler when I get one. Do you have reverse? I hear that is worth the extra $.

Thanks for the report, glad it all turned, pun intended, out ok.
FISH ON! and Tight Lines

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:43 PM »
So other than the snow dog running loose with all your gear, how do you like that machine. Been looking at them and think they are a good solution. So beyond put the kill switch tether on before starting up, any other pros n cons you have to report on the snowdog? I really like the idea of not having a trailer to try to park n turnaround, probably get a hitch hauler when I get one. Do you have reverse? I hear that is worth the extra $.

Thanks for the report, glad it all turned, pun intended, out ok.

I love the dog. Saves enormous time and wear and tear on an old body. It likes packed trails better than powder, but it can handle powder if need be. Stay clear of deep slush. Reverse is wonderful and worth the money. I can put mine in the short bed of my F150 with the topper on - and still have room for sleds and other stuff next to it. As I stood there watching it race away without me, I was thinking I was going to have to buy a new one - but small miracles happen and it still works great.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:47 PM »
WoW !!!  Glad it ended well, could have sucked big time. 

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:49 PM »
Glad everything turned out ok for you. That's a bad feeling watching something drive away on its own, my snowmobile throttle froze open and I watched as it went down the trail out of sight and then heard the crash in the trees.

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2020, 03:51 PM »
Gratefully, my ending was better than Benny's.
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing it and yes I did have a heck of a laugh at your expense.  On a serious not I'm glad your gear wasn't damaged and would recommend you buying a lottery ticket considering the luck you had during this escapade. 

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:18 PM »
sounds like u had a great trip  !  :clap: ;)2

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 12, 2020, 04:22 PM »
I'm sorry if wasn't so funny it would be sad....or is sad it was funny.
And to think people go to the gym and pay for that kind of cardio exercise!
Thank full all turned out well and a great story.
So something like this would be in order.
https://www.amazon.com/BikeMaster-ATV-Tether-Kill-Switch/dp/B007BKPYV2

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:37 PM »
It's not very nice to laugh at the misfortunes of others but it sure seems to be human nature. I know I laughed. It brings to mind the old YouTube video of the guy sweeping up in
the elephant enclosure and loses track of the fact that he's right behind the elephant when she decides to have a squat and suddenly gets the guy's head jammed up her butt shoulder deep. He's pounding on her backside trying to get her sphincter to let go which she finally does but not for 7-8 seconds. Pretty funny but I'm glad it was him and not me.
  When some misfortune falls to my lot I try to ask myself, "is this worse than having my head stuck up an elephant's butt?" So far, the answer has always been "no". May you find that's also the case with the runaway Snowdog.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2020, 05:40 PM »
It's not very nice to laugh at the misfortunes of others but it sure seems to be human nature. I know I laughed. It brings to mind the old YouTube video of the guy sweeping up in
the elephant enclosure and loses track of the fact that he's right behind the elephant when she decides to have a squat and suddenly gets the guy's head jammed up her butt shoulder deep. He's pounding on her backside trying to get her sphincter to let go which she finally does but not for 7-8 seconds. Pretty funny but I'm glad it was him and not me.
  When some misfortune falls to my lot I try to ask myself, "is this worse than having my head stuck up an elephant's butt?" So far, the answer has always been "no". May you find that's also the case with the runaway Snowdog.

Everything turned out wonderful. Nothing broken or injured.....Life is good!

It would have been a VERY funny video if it had been recorded.   ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2020, 06:02 PM »
It is great to have a misfortune and be able to laugh, "life is good" and in the correct light, you know that it is not the worst thing that can happen. I enjoyed the story thanks for sharing. :icefish: :icefish: Now get back to relaxing. :tipup:
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.