The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trying to decide between Pishkun and Split Rock  (Read 631 times)

Offline 429421Cowboy

• IceShanty Rookie
Trying to decide between Pishkun and Split Rock
« on: Feb 03, 2020, 05:51 PM »
Help me out here guys, I'm wrestling with the decision between Pishkun to spear and fish this weekend (which I've fished before) and fishing Split Rock for the first time. I looked with the search function here and all of the posts are old, but I hear lots of guys saying that Split Rock only has dinks. Is it worth wasting our time hitting Split Rock first? We're not terribly picky on big fish, as long as they're big enough to fillet or spear (24" or so) and just want to make the most of what will be our only trip for pike this season.
Only reason I ask is because I don't want to waste the best hours in the morning trying Split Rock if its a dead zone or truly only hammerhandles till we know we need to move over the hill to Pishkun.
Any thoughts guys and gals? Not asking anybody to set the hook or clean my fish for me, and I already know how to fish and spear pike on Pishkun, just hoping for some input on which to try first.
Thanks.
East of the Rockies and west of the rest, I do my best to do my dangedest and that's about all I guess.

Offline mtcommonwalleyeguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Trying to decide between Pishkun and Split Rock
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:45 PM »
Pretty straightforward, if you want size, pishkun, if you want a chance to stay busy with smaller fish, split rock. My experience at least. I've had pretty good luck on split rock the majority of the time, primarily with couple pound fish, but I normally catch and release, the majority of the fish are smaller, and it gets hit HARD all winter long .

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trying to decide between Pishkun and Split Rock
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:51 PM »
I'd do pishkun if it was my only day and save split rock for a day when I had a bit more time to make a few trips and see what it has to hold.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.