Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Fishable Ice in Iowa  (Read 10044 times)

Offline spoofhoundicefisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishable Ice in Iowa
« Reply #30 on: Dec 26, 2019, 09:21 PM »
anybody getting out in north central iowa.  looking to maybe tag along somewhere this weekend or next week with someone who has some room to spare.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #31 on: Dec 27, 2019, 12:03 AM »
anybody getting out in north central iowa.  looking to maybe tag along somewhere this weekend or next week with someone who has some room to spare.

What are you looking for? Blue gills? Crappie? Bass? Perch? Walleye? Pike?

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 27, 2019, 12:45 AM »
anything really.  have never iced a northern that would be pretty cool.  just looking to get out on some ice.  ponds or lakes.  have chased mostly crappie and bluegills down this way.  got out on a pond today in a boat and was not really happy about it but at least got to feel the thump a little. 

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Dec 27, 2019, 01:20 PM »
Dont get me wrong I love ice fishing but you can't beat this nice weather to get out after some open water walleye.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 27, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Dont get me wrong I love ice fishing but you can't beat this nice weather to get out after some open water walleye.

Someone get this wise guy outta here!  ;D

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 27, 2019, 03:14 PM »
We're probably not just done in central Iowa for a little while. An inch of rain on Saturday followed by wind and highs in the mid forties on Sunday in northeast Iowa right up to the Minnesota border.

Get out the long rods.  :-\
The user formerly known as Midnight Rambler.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 30, 2019, 09:32 AM »
After the rain and temps this weekend, we will be waiting for first ice again in Linn and Johnson Counties. Ponds are mostly open here.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2020, 01:38 PM »
I dont think we are far off now guys!! I was planning on camping and shore fishing at Icaria this weekend and cancelled them. I think Friday and Saturday it is going to cap. Shutting down all shore and ice fishing. I am totally okay with that!!!!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2020, 02:06 PM »
Yep, it's about time.  I am sure I can hop on my home lake on Sunday at the latest.

Offline OGCollard

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the Ice!!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2020, 01:10 PM »
One more weekend of sitting around. Cant wait till next weekend. Ice fishing every weekend after that!! Been sitting around since mid december waiting to ice fish!!!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2020, 02:17 PM »
I'm hitting Black Hawk or Storm Lake hard on Sunday AM.  I haven't decided which one yet.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 10, 2020, 10:49 PM »
Don't know what either is like. Spirit lake had 8-12 inches on it though whit little snow. Hope it gets cold with no snow so I can take the ice castle out.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 11, 2020, 09:32 AM »
We've been having first ice every couple mornings in east central Iowa.

The rain yesterday around CR and IC should be a good thing, as it may have cleaned up some of the skim ice that keeps forming. It is finally going to turn cold this week, and open water will freeze quicker than water with a few inches of snow on top of skim ice.

I am pretty sure ponds around here will be good next weekend. Just depends how much snow we might get this week.

Offline CatchinABuzz32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 13, 2020, 08:42 AM »
Hey all- I live in KC but my folks farm where 20 and I-35 meet. They a have a nice farm pond that we hit- Just seeing if anyone has heard about ice conditions in that area. Plan on being up there this weekend.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2020, 09:00 AM »
You will be good, Wednesday into Thursday has a forecasted low of -3.  I am right on Hwy 20, but west of where you'll be.

Offline CatchinABuzz32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2020, 11:19 AM »
That's what I was thinking, thanks!!

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2020, 01:43 PM »
3.5" of good clear ice on a pond just south of I-80 in Johnson County this morning. Fishing was terrible.  ;D

The snow could mess with things down this way. That 3.5" of good ice I was on could get blanketed and insulated from this cold spell, as is all the other new, and pretty thin, ice this far south.

Be careful when you head out after this snow is done--no matter how many times I see it, I am always surprised how well a few inches of snow can insulate ice from cold temps like those coming this weekend.

Hopefully the wind clears a lot of the snow off the ice tomorrow. Then we would be in very good shape.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2020, 10:34 PM »
had between 2.5" and 3" of good solid black ice today.  with the snow cover the ice making will be very slow going.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 19, 2020, 05:49 PM »
Had 6-7 inches on a Jasper county pond today. The heavy winds had a good portion snow free. We caught a dozen with a couple good Crappie. Good luck to everyone :tipup:

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2020, 10:04 AM »
The snow blew off most of the new ice that I have checked around CR and IC--I had probably 5" of good ice under me on a different pond last night than the one I was on Friday morning. This pond takes a little longer to freeze, but is usually better fishing at first ice. That was the case last night. Caught some nice bluegills and removed a bonus crappie as well.

Offline New User Name

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:39 AM »
Yesterday's warm sunny weather has made getting on and off some ponds in Linn County a little sketchy.

The small pond just south of Cedar Rapids I was on this weekend had probably 7" of good ice on Saturday. That had turned to 2"of slush and 4" of decent ice by yesterday afternoon. I ended up getting a wet boot when I left yesterday evening and broke through right at the shore.

This pond has a decent amount of runoff going in it, which made the ice conditions worse. For the most part we still have safe ice around here, but use caution, especially if there is water running in to the pond you are on, and keep an eye on the shorelines. My boot liner and sock should be dry by tonight.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.