Author Topic: Farm pond Vs. big lake  (Read 5120 times)

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
Farm pond Vs. big lake
« on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:28 PM »
I am super new the the ice world but I have been hot water fishing all my life.  I have had many great fish experances on farm pond around the omaha/lincoln area. Just looking for a few tips to get me on some fish, thanks for any help.

good fishing!

nate

Offline midstate08

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Farm pond Vs. big lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2008, 10:34 PM »
best advice I can give you is invest in a vexilar flasher for a depth/ fish finder.  Depending how deep the farm ponds are this is a great tool to use ice fishing.
I fish in a farm pond near me that is anywhere from 16 to 22 feet deep and we have always caught bluegill and bass out of it.  I invested in a vexilar and started catching the crappie (that I did not know existed) in there because they are usually suspended and I didnt know they were above my bait.  The owner does not let us use minnows in his pond which is fine but knowing where the crappie are makes it alot easier to catch them on wax worms.

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2008, 02:39 PM »
I will look in to the the flasher for sure thanks man and good luck.

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2008, 05:02 PM »
What kind of questions do you have? The flasher is a very good tool but you need to know alot more stuff than just being on fish. What kind of fish do you target? It depends on how much you want to spend. Ice fishing can get pretty expensive if you want it to. I would say go with some people that have the equipment and learn from them. Then make the judgement if you like it or not. I agree with midstate08 a flasher will become mandatory if you like ice fishing. I used to live in Lincoln and fished some of the ponds around there too.
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Mainly I am going for crappie, gills and bass.  I have all ready began to see that the gear cost adds up fast :), but between myself and huskersonhardwater we have a pretty good start at a set up.  The main info I think I am looking for is, were/when to set up and how find out what the fish are doing/moving.  The the site and thanks for the input. good fishing!

nate

Offline HuskerOnHardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2008, 09:55 PM »
Nate,
Good Weekend on the ol' farm pond.  They hit about every thing bait and color wise.  How many crappie did we end up with any way?  I may go again this up coming weekend if the wife lets me, I've got the itch now w/ the success we had.  I'll call this week.  Later Broham

Mick
Good times and tight lines!

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2008, 02:15 PM »
fo sho man non stop fish for what 10 or 11 hrs was crazy!! We kept 14 of the crappie and ur nice 2 lbs bass, "is that me".  can't wait till next time hit me up, cheers!

nate

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2008, 02:32 PM »
put up a new pic and its huge lol i hope this fixed it:)

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 12, 2008, 02:37 PM »
If this didnt work then i am just useing there photo lol

Offline blair50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2008, 08:03 PM »
I am a poor college kid that can't (shouldn't anyway...) afford a vexlar.  I hit up end of the year sales and got some rod and reel combos for $6 a piece!  So I use 5 rods with them all set and different depths when fishing for crappies.  Once I find where they are at, I move the other rods up to that depth.  Works great and saves me some money.  Plus fishing with five rods is a blast, especially when a school swims by.  Kinda stinks though when it is cold = lots of work...

Offline falcon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GAME ON!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2008, 09:08 PM »
Where you guys using minnows or waxies? Sounds like you guys couldn't go wrong but it wont always be that easy especially on public waters. I some times have good luck with straight gold hook & split shot and a light bobber on stuburn crappies through the ice. It really depends on the lake to what I use. Sometimes they only want a vertical jig and wont hit a horizontal jig. The same goes for waxies vs. minnows. Try changing hook placement on the minnows from tail, dorsal, and mouth. Blair50 is right on with the setting different depths on lines until you find where there at. Hope this helps ya or you may allready know!
Cody
Live for Ice Fishing!!!

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:32 PM »
That day i started small with waxes and got in the the gills pretty good then around the time the sun set we both had minnows and they didnt stay in the water long:)  Instead of having the $400 vexlar my buddy huskeronhardwater has a pretty enexpensive fishing buddy dept/fish finder that was doing the job well.  Thank god for our privite lake but i think I will try to get over to IA before the end of the season to see what the bigger public ponds are all about.  thanks for the great help to all of ya. good luck

nate

Offline turbo 42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2008, 12:48 PM »
one thing you need to know if your gonna fish a big lake is the water colum that will help you determine what depth there gonna be around, how aggresive they are and the size of bait you should use it all has to do with the weather and the baromiter if i were you i'd start a new post asking about the water colum and how to work them to the ceiling and also if your fishing staind water get good glow jigs and if you like going for those cropies look into genz worms a ratso would do ya right most likly but it all depends on where your at. ice fishing is alot of trial and error try to get your jigging figured out before you go out and spend a bunch of money on a vex caz just because they are down there does'nt mean they'll bite!
i'll still fish when hell freezes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:06 AM »
Nate,

Already have the columns figured out plus summer jetties and all them sh@ts!  I have two lakes w/in 50 miles of IC we could hit for pike/musky or eye's.  I drilled holes today during my lunch break checkin depth, structure, and bottom content.  I looked pretty dumb out there w/suit and tie with boots and an ice auger.  No body set up in these areas though to see the frickin circus.  Depth, structure, and Oxygen content are really looking good in a couple places.  I guess this weekend is put-up or shut-up!  I'll let you know, "Farm pond vs. Big Lake"!

Good Luck and Good Fishin'!

Mick

Offline nate2146

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2008, 01:22 PM »
Hey mick good luck man, if the weekend it anything like like last weekend it will be a blast.  I may try to get boofus and go out sunday b/c the stoopid wife has to work on saturday, work lol.  well good luck and dont let anyone drop any electronics in the hole

good luck

nate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:15 PM »
Hey,
Headed out early afternoon tomorrow.  I may call from the ice.  Hopefully I'll see a lot more  :tipup:!  I'm also planning on Sunday all day trip due to the front/storm pushing in.  I've got two spots, one lake macbride which is a good size state lake and a smaller pond in mind for tomorrow.  I'll call ya w/ reports from each.  Oh, yeah I've gotten several responses in regards to the heater.  I'm going to a 20# tank w/ a 12' hose.  I'll let you know how it pans out.  :icefish:

Good luck and Good fishin'!

Mick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2008, 02:04 AM »
 :tipup:
We'll see this weekend. 

Mick
 :-\