Author Topic: New to crappies in general!  (Read 1864 times)

Offline busler15

• Team IceShanty Regular
New to crappies in general!
« on: Nov 14, 2007, 08:15 PM »
This summer and fall while trolling for walleye, my cousin and I picked up a ton of crappie suspended in open water just as the sun was setting. They were all good sized too, 10-12". We would accidentally catch 10 of these a night!
Well, I hear how good they taste, so this winter I hope to catch a few, the only problem being is that I have no idea where, when or how to catch ice crappies. The lake I am fishing is a small natural inland lake with a max depth of 52' ft and is 180 surface acres.

I have an x67c and a cabelas underwater camera for this winter, so i hope to increase my catch a ton!

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
Re: New to crappies in general!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:23 PM »
good luck to ya. crappies are great fish and can be a real challenge. they've skunked me a few times.

Offline james.hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:27 PM »
My advice to you is to find some cover and fish by it. Or if you are very familiar with the lake find a good flat and fish on that.

Offline tjsnipehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 11:40 PM »
Like James I'd say fish close to cover or steep drop offs during the day and in the late afternoon move to some flats and fish them until after dark. Crappies are usually easiest to find in the last hour of light, they move a lot and bite well. It wouldn't surprise me too much if you find some close to where you caught them trolling. They will most likely be suspended. Crappies were made for a flasher.

I like light colored moon glow jigs or rocker jigs with small bait during the day. In the evening try jigging with small jigging raps or spoons with a minnow head or waxie on it. Minnows work well in the evening too.

In my experience weather can really change a crappies mood. Nice days and just when snow rolls in have always been the best for me. Get a big cold front to move in for a day or two and crappies will slow down. Make sure you give good looking spots or places you mark fish a couple tries before you give up on them, but also move often if nothing is showing. They don't usually take long to at least give a look.

For what it's worth, rememeber what it cost you, that is my basic approach to crappies. ;)

Good luck.
Tim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.