Author Topic: Wax worms or minnows for crappie  (Read 7614 times)

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wax worms or minnows for crappie
« on: Dec 16, 2007, 10:00 PM »
I have a lake I know has a bunch of crappie in it because in the summer we catch them dozens at a time on rapalas. I'e never fished it in winter so I'm not sure what will work best. Which seems to be best for crappie?

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Wax worms or minnows for crappie
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:06 AM »
Either can work well, depending on what jig you're using and your presentation.  I usually just use spikes (maggots) myself, stringing them on 2 or 3 in a row, but a fat waxworm will work even better most of the time.  I've only used minnows (tiny dead ones) when fishing with a spoon.

I get the feeling that the crappies are attracted by the motion of the lure itself, and the bait is mostly for smell/taste to encourage strikes.  If I use no bait, the fish will still come in and nose the lure (but only sometimes strike).  So either can work well since you're mostly just giving them something to motivate a strike once they're already checking out your lure.

Offline Bgreen02

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Thanks for the tip

Team M.I.R.C Rock bass. It's whats for dinner.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2007, 01:39 PM »
same here, I use both, I perfer minnow heads to full minnows, and if im using waxies then I load up on them

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2007, 04:45 PM »
The best thing for Crappies is a Tip down with a #14 treble hook and a small minnow.  We generally setup 2 tip downs each and jig with a wax worm or spikes on the third line (we are allowed 3 lines in Wisconsin)  If they seem to be hitting the Tip downs better we will quit jigging and put in a third tip down.  If you have never used tip downs you will be in for a big surprise.   When the rod tips down get to it fast and gently lift the pole and feel for the fish, when you feel them just give the rod a very slight tug to set the hook, do not give it a big jerk or you will pull the hook right out of their mouth.  Here is the link to the one's we make.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18760.0

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2007, 05:31 PM »
I use both of them. I caught all of my crappies the other day on wax worms and my buddy caught nothing on minnows. He was using a 1/4 oz lead head jig and a rather large minnow. I find that sometimes crappies like a small live minnow on a small plain hook. Other times they like a minnow head on a small jig. I have seen times when they wanted neither of them and hit really well on a minnow that I dropped on the ice and stepped on before I put it on the hook. They really went crazy over the smashed minnows.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline MacEnvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 17, 2007, 08:30 PM »
Anyone had any luck with the Berkeley GULP bait?  I picked up some of their "glowing maggots" today ... going to try them out on Wednesday.  I think they're made of organics, not plastics.

At $3.50 a bottle they're not much more expensive than spikes (there appear to be a couple hundred of them in the bottle), and I don't have to worry about them going bad.  They can stay right in the tackle bucket.  I guess it doesn't matter much if they don't work though.  Anyone had any experience with them?

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:08 AM »
I like using both and always have both with me when fishing crappies but I prefer to use minnows(small, pinhead size). Found that most of my bigger fish came form deadsticking the little guys at the depth the fish are roaming. IMO
Andrew

Offline J Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2007, 09:14 AM »
Anyone had any luck with the Berkeley GULP bait?  I picked up some of their "glowing maggots" today ... going to try them out on Wednesday.  I think they're made of organics, not plastics.

At $3.50 a bottle they're not much more expensive than spikes (there appear to be a couple hundred of them in the bottle), and I don't have to worry about them going bad.  They can stay right in the tackle bucket.  I guess it doesn't matter much if they don't work though.  Anyone had any experience with them?

I've had pretty good luck with the gulp maggots.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2007, 06:41 PM »
I could put the luck I have had with gulp on the head of a pin. I ran out of live bait one day when the gills and crappies were going nuts on waxies. Switched to gulp and didnt get a bite. They were still there,just didnt want any part of them.

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:09 PM »
i always take minnows and waxies. one night i slayed a bunch on minnows. went back the next night, same time, same spot. marked fish same depth. wouldn't touch a minnow. waxies saved the night!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.