The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Cordless Drill auger?  (Read 19732 times)

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
Cordless Drill auger?
« on: Nov 12, 2008, 11:02 PM »
What do you guys think of these?

has anyone used on personally? I am looking for a cheap alternative to a power auger and I am thinking this may be it.

Offline sageur

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Cordless Drill auger?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2008, 11:30 PM »
Check out "Vexilars Ice Fishing Today" show on there web site they showed one in use, looked prety slick and they talked a little about it. They also sell an adaptor for your drill that works for a strikemaster auger.
If the ice is tipping move to the center

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2008, 11:38 PM »
made this one last year!

Bought the auger(7" Mura) made the adapter out of a busted allen wrench and a correct size piece of pipe.
I call it the The Farley Gator
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:20 AM »
i made one kind of like that,but i put a 9" round aluminum plate on it so if the auger comes out of the drill chuck it doesn;t go down the ice hole!!

Offline iluvcrappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The real sports in life Bowhunting and Icefishing
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:57 AM »
have never used one but I have seen one used they seem to work great the only thing is you have to carry around an extra battery pack or two just in case one dies...........I think I will always stick with the fail proof Jiffy

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:12 AM »
This only works with a QUALITY cordless drill. I tried it with a $39.00 18v drill and never got one hole out of it. Actually ended up shorting out the drill. Bought a Makita 18v Lithium Ion drill, and get about 12 holes per battery with an 8" Lazer. If you get it make sure you get the one with the bungy strap that goes around your drill in case the auger comes loose. You'll lose it through the ice. They are really made for 4-6" augers.

It's not worth going out and buying all the stuff, but if you already have a good quality drill, yeah it works pretty good if your more of a stationary typ of person. If your looking to run and gun, it's not gonna work out for you.

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2008, 08:38 AM »
i made one kind of like that,but i put a 9" round aluminum plate on it so if the auger comes out of the drill chuck it doesn;t go down the ice hole!!
Usually if it comes out you would normally have enough time to grab it ...more steel more weight.  The only down falls are that you still need to tie up about $350.00.  you could probably buy a desent gas auger for that price ???  also I would recommend extra batts.

Offline wile.e.1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2008, 08:49 AM »
I already had a good cordless, so I tried it a couple years ago. For me it works great. No noise, no gas. I have the spare battery charged so that's never been a problem. I converted my morra hand auger , and I keep the handle part in my jet sled just in case. Beware as others have said...the auger will slip out of the chuck once in a while, learned this the hard way...had to fish it out of my pond in the backyard.That sure was fun ::) Anyway, the fix for that is to tape on or somehow attach a piece of metal or wood rod that is slightly wider than your auger blade. Attach it to the shaft of the auger and it cant go through the hole if it comes out of the chuck on ya. Like I said I have been using this for a few years with good success, It's nice to be able to punch as many holes as you want without getting tired. Good luck to all this season
Remember those that served..All gave some...Some gave All

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:59 AM »
I also had one of those adapters for my lazer auger   you do need a great drill to use it with  I tried 12 volt dewalt  ,12 volt mikita  that was a no go    an el cheapo 18 volt   not good results at all (gave them away)  finally a 19.2 craftsman 1/2" drive with 420 lbs of tourqe it ran the 6" no problem   but not many holes :(    I was going to use my 1/2" corded drill that I knew would work but that ment to haul a 12 volt car battery and large inverter   after all that messing around I smartend up (somewhat anyway) and pulled the trigger on the Icegator  Now Im never looking back :)   quiet, lite and dependable    Oh  if you do go with a drill adapter also look at getting a warenteed one that also covers the batteries!  (sears)  :)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2008, 04:02 PM »
thanks guys!

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:30 PM »
icemasteradapter.com. I like mine. 19.2v craftsman. Turn speed to 22 and selector to low torque. High speed, low torque. Better yet, if you can find a gas drill (echo, stihl), volia a gas powered auger.

Offline jigemin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag up!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2008, 05:54 PM »
Saw a guy use one at the end of the season a couple of years ago when the ice was gettin soft.  He was drillin holes in about 2 seconds.  The battery lasted all day because the ice was so soft.  I would recommend it for that type of ice, but not mid winter on 2 feet of solid ice.

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 13, 2008, 06:03 PM »
any other cheaper alternatives to gas augers that you guys can think of?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:14 PM »

ice saw and tongs.

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:21 PM »
hahaha. I think i'll pass

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:33 PM »

Get a big burly friend and give him a case of beer each out if he drills the holes all day. Of course pay up after the outing.LOL

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:38 PM »
 :). hmm. anywhere that you guys know of that sells cheap ice augers? new or used? new ones are expensive(350 +) and used ones are not cheap either.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:41 PM »
Get a big burly friend and give him a case of beer each out if he drills the holes all day. Of course pay up after the outing.LOL

Wouldn't take long to add up up here. 6 cases of ale and you have paid for a power auger!!!!  :woot:
Yeah we get hosed fo booze!!!!  :%$#!:

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:46 PM »
No set place now. Looks for garage sales, rumage sales, ebal, craigslist. Plus you never know. Depending where you are from, some retailers may have last years merchandise still and putting it on clearance. 2 weeks ago I was walking through BPS, just going to pick up some odds and ends. Just as I was walking by the augers I noticed them putting a clearance tag on the Strikemaster ElectrLazer 6" auger Originally $349. marked to $250. then the new tag was $99.97. Needless to say I snapped it up. Being Mid-November now Most of the clearance stuff has probably been scarfed up, but you never know. If you have a larger local baitshop that deals with augers and shelters, he may have something.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2008, 07:49 PM »

Wouldn't take long to add up up here. 6 cases of ale and you have paid for a power auger!!!!  :woot:
Yeah we get hosed fo booze!!!!  :%$#!:

yeah I know a buddy of mine used to always bring me back 12 packs of the Molson XXX. I couldn't believe when he told me how much it was. Hey but at least you guys actually have some alchohol in your beer. :laugh: Wasn't a huge fan of the Molson, but did have a nice kick to it.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:07 PM »
do rpms matter whn drilling holes???

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:12 PM »
Ehhh not really. Mostly let the auger do all the work. Don't apply any downward force on the auger at all. Sometimes I felt it necessary to hold the auger up, cuz the blades seemed to be more aggressive than the drill could handle.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:15 PM »
well i made a adaptor for a old mantis tiller and it turns about 350 rpms with 3hp im hoping it will work.

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:23 PM »
The strikemaster power augers are from 170-200 rpms. maybe at that speed you may burn out the blades??? Not sure.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:31 PM »
hummm it is a jiffy type auger we got in a junk yard.

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 13, 2008, 09:45 PM »
99$!?!?  :o that is about the price of a nice hand auger!

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 13, 2008, 10:01 PM »
99$!?!?  :o that is about the price of a nice hand auger!

Yep. Even the wife couldn't stay mad at me for buying it. :laugh:

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2008, 10:04 PM »
The strikemaster power augers are from 170-200 rpms. maybe at that speed you may burn out the blades??? Not sure.
How do you burn up blades on ice, last I knew ice was cold ???

Offline newicefisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 13, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Yep. Even the wife couldn't stay mad at me for buying it. :laugh:

No kidding!!

Offline Ed_r

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Nov 13, 2008, 10:11 PM »
How do you burn up blades on ice, last I knew ice was cold ???

Any friction causes heat. If the blades are spinning faster than they are made to cut then they can build up heat. When I lay the auger tip on the ice it melts in pretty quick so the blades do have a raised temperature. Will the blades turn blue... no. will they dull prematurely? quite possibly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.