The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flip Over Shelter  (Read 687 times)

Offline hunting-bum

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I only fish when I can't Hunt.
Flip Over Shelter
« on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:57 PM »
I got blown off the lake this morning. I didn't even put my hub shelter. Had one blow away in the past, even with the ice screws in. What are peoples thoughts on flip overs in the wind? Will they handle it better and are they worth the extra money.?

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flip Over Shelter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:03 PM »
They'll handle the wind if anchors, they're worth the extra money to stay warm and dry, set my popup up yesterday on a nice day just as a warming hut so wet hands could be dried and warmed up.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2019, 06:23 PM »
Leave the tow bar attached to wheeler and the shanty isnt going to blow away. Might blow apart though.

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2019, 08:18 PM »
I have both an Eskimo pop-up shelter and a Frabil one-person flip-over shelter.  I think the pop-up shelter is a lot more stable in the wind if you tie it down to four ice screws with boat straps or ropes attached to the center of each hub, and you throw snow on the flaps around the base of the shelter to keep wind from getting under it.  I don't add ice screws through the grommets in the corners unless it's blowing so hard that I really shouldn't be out on the lake.  And I never rely only on ice screws installed through the grommets in the corners.  The flip-over shelter is pretty high and narrow, and thus is harder to stabilize in high wind.  If you screw it down with its back to the wind, you just know that the wind is going to shift and start blowing on the side of the shelter.  I use the pop-up shelter when I'm going to set up in one place and stay there.  I use the flip-over shelter when I'm going to move from place to place throughout the day.  The flip-over shelter is wider than a typical Otter-style sled, and can be a lot of work to haul around if there is much snow on the ice.  An advantage of the flip-over shelter is that I can set it up with its back to the wind and the tent sticking up at 90 degrees as a windbreak, so I can enjoy the scenery with protection from the wind.

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2019, 12:46 PM »
I have both and generally use the flip over and leave it attached to the 4 wheeler with a hard tow bar to keep it from blowing around. It helps me move around more as the hub shelter can be a pain. I did learn to install a couple ice screws at the base of the wall and have another ready for the center guy rope when setting up in the wind. I watch many folks struggle with hub shelters in the wind.
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.