The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: ATV questions  (Read 1384 times)

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV questions
« on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:15 PM »
I'm planning on getting my first atv here soon.  Pretty sure a Kodiak, but not sure whether to go with the 700 or 450.  I know a lot of you have had atv's and lots of experience.  I just wanted to know if the 700 was necessary or if the 450 will do everything I need it to.  Will be using it primarily to plow my driveway which is about 100ft long and other than that tooling around on the ice and some easy trail rides in summer.  Not planning on doing anything extreme with it.  Whatever input you guys have will be great.  The dealer obviously is trying to push the 700 as far superior, but thought I would get some worldly experiences as well.
Thanks guys

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: ATV questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:26 PM »
I have a 450 and plow snow[driveway 500yds].
Use it to hunt , fish, and pull hay rake.
700 weighs more, costs more .
I'm very happy with my 450.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:48 PM »
Good input.  Next question, is power steering worth another $1000?

Offline slickice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2019, 12:59 PM »
I've got two 450's for the ranch.  They're work horses.  I chain them up for ice fishing and use the heck out of them.  700's are expensive and overpowered for what most people do.  As for power steering, it's not worth the extra dough.  They turn very easily without the added expense.  Once you've got an atv, you'll wonder why you waited so long.         

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:02 PM »
Do they offer a 570? Maybe check out a Polaris or Can-am

Offline TooLucky406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Go 450cc....700cc has way more power then you'll need like mention and too heavy to move/lift if you're stuck! Power steering is great if you're trail riding(cornering or on rough terrian). In a straight line when plowing or on the ice the added $1k is not worth it but I do like it! Lol!
If you're not set on the Kodiak, Can-Am make a 450(L) that's has independent suspension and power steering under $5k brand new with rebates.

Offline Papa John

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Have been running a Kodiak 450 three years and does everything I need. Difficult to beat the Yamaha engines. They start easily, even in sub zero and run like a champ. Smaller and easy to load in my truck box. I rig mine for ice fishing and with a set of chains they stop at nothing unless you bury it in a drift. I have manual steering, manual shift, and I just love the thing.

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2019, 03:08 PM »
Sounds good everyone!  Leaning toward the 450 at the moment, going to take the wife down and let her drive one with power steering and one without to see if it makes any difference to her.  Probably end up with a fully enclosed side by side with a heater if she looks around too much ;D

Offline Fortpeck1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2019, 03:15 PM »
nothing wrong with that, I have one also.

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2019, 03:20 PM »
Can't beat a Honda

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2019, 09:41 PM »
I have the Polaris 450 and it has plenty of power. Last week my neighbor's snowmobile broke down while ice fishing. Tow the snowmobile, rider and two flip ice houses back to the truck, no problem.

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2019, 01:48 AM »
I'm planning on getting my first atv here soon.  Pretty sure a Kodiak, but not sure whether to go with the 700 or 450.  I know a lot of you have had atv's and lots of experience.  I just wanted to know if the 700 was necessary or if the 450 will do everything I need it to.  Will be using it primarily to plow my driveway which is about 100ft long and other than that tooling around on the ice and some easy trail rides in summer.  Not planning on doing anything extreme with it.  Whatever input you guys have will be great.  The dealer obviously is trying to push the 700 as far superior, but thought I would get some worldly experiences as well.
Thanks guys

First let me say that it sounds like the 450 would be just fine for what you plan to use the ATV for.....I have to ask tho.....Have you taken the 450 & 700 for a test ride?? If you have, you should know why the dealer is pushing the 700 as far superior.....Because it is !! The torque of the 700 thru low/mid/high range rpms is fantastic & is very apparent on a machine that weighs in about 35lbs more than the 450.....Basically, I just like all the extra power.....Power steering.....Get it, you won't regret it & your body will thank you.....Much easier on the hands, wrists, elbows & shoulders.....Can easily drive the thing with 1 hand while plowing snow or going down a trail & you don't get that kickback when you hit rocks with the front end.....Lastly, don't bring the wife down to drive one.....Last time I brought mine with me to pick up my new ATV, I ended up coming home with 2 power steering equipped ATV's lol.....Good luck with your decision & I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you choose !!

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2019, 08:33 PM »
Thanks for all the tips and input, went in to buy a 450, came out with a 700, they had a super deal going on where they were the same price, so win win for me!  No more dragging the shack out by hand!

Offline walleymcjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2019, 10:12 PM »
Nice! Will definitely be game changer

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2019, 10:57 PM »
Congrats! Mobility will change the way you fish.  Take your GPS if you have one...start building a log/journal. 

Offline Hooked up

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2019, 05:46 AM »
Thanks for all the tips and input, went in to buy a 450, came out with a 700, they had a super deal going on where they were the same price, so win win for me!  No more dragging the shack out by hand!
Interesting, same price or same monthly payments?

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2019, 01:32 PM »
Same price, having a sports show up here, so special price apparently, don't know if it was for all units or just that one, but was already outfitted with a winch and plow

Offline SpitzoMT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLX-28 Ultra Pack
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2019, 01:21 AM »

Congrats MatCat…..May it serve you well for many years !!  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.