The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Tip up Leaders  (Read 1152 times)

Offline B bob

• IceShanty Rookie
Tip up Leaders
« on: Jan 24, 2019, 01:34 PM »
Just wondering the thoughts on tip up leaders with the spin blades on them.  Who uses them and do you think they help/hurt?

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tip up Leaders
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:28 PM »
I like using them sometimes for walleye, but most of the time I have Jawjackers out instead of tip ups

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:29 PM »
Used both ones with blades then others without, just a little added flash with the blades. Usually throw out one of each and if the plan gets more hits, switch over the other and vise versa.
Its called PUBLIC land.... don't get mad if someone else is fishing there.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline cbenn55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2019, 02:58 PM »
Just getting set up with tip ups, any recommendations on what line and leader to run?

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2019, 03:02 PM »
Just getting set up with tip ups, any recommendations on what line and leader to run?

depends on the fish, pike i just run 30-40 lb braid like power pro, then run either a bladed smelt rig or just a straight smelt rig. be easy enough to add about 4ft of fluorocarbon leader for more finicky fish like trout and perch.

“Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words. Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior. Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits. Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values. Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:17 PM »
For leaders, it depends on what you're fishing for.  For example, if you're fishing for pike, which have sharp teeth, use wire leaders.  It sucks to (a) lose a lure or quickstrike rig because a pike bit  it off, and (b) leave that lure or quickstrike rig stuck in the mouth of the pike.  If you're fishing for lake trout, use a fairly heavy fluorocarbon or mono leader; I like to use 20 pound leaders.  For smaller fish, you can use lighter weight mono leaders.

oldschoolben

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2019, 04:50 PM »
I use a 60# mono leader ,and do far O have not lost a pike. Im sure if I do I will rethink my thinking lol

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I make my own with different colored floats on 30lb mono.
Dont ask

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2019, 05:35 PM »
For pike, I make my own wire leader quick-strike rigs with two treble hooks, using metal ferrules. Once you have the supplies (wire leader, ferrules, and hooks), it only takes a couple minutes to whip up a quick-strike rig.  For lake trout, I tie my own fluorocarbon quick-strike rigs with two treble hooks; search in You-Tube for "two-hook mooching rigs" for instructions on how to tie those rigs.  You can also tie up a fluorocarbon or mono quickstrike rig in just a few minutes.

Offline B bob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:17 PM »
You are right I forgot to include that mainly interested in a wire leader setup for mainly pike.  Spinners or no spinners.   Or even beads if anyone thinks that seems to help

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:11 PM »
Plain old quick strikes without bling for me with smelt or herring. Live suckers I do use a small silver or chartreuse blade but with the quick strike. Not sure it makes much difference though.

For walleyes I try to stay as light and simple as possible as in a hook and and minnow. Watching them on the camera too many look and move on with blades or bigger trebles. At least looking at them down the hole, never set a camera out by a tip up, might do that next trip to Crooked Creek.

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:31 PM »
For example, if you're fishing for pike, which have sharp teeth, use wire leaders.

Have you tried spider wire or some other braid?  I don't fish under tip ups much, so I don't know if there's drawbacks to it or not.  But without question, when I'm chasing pike on my fly rod in the spring, I throw a 1.5' length of braid on the end of a stout piece of mono.  You still have to change the spider out after a few spirited fights, but I've had far less refusals with that vs. them turning away from steel leader.  Plus, the steel wire kills the action of the streamers I tie (admittedly irrelevant under the ice).

Offline MT_BINX

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2019, 10:01 AM »
Have you tried spider wire or some other braid?  I don't fish under tip ups much, so I don't know if there's drawbacks to it or not.  But without question, when I'm chasing pike on my fly rod in the spring, I throw a 1.5' length of braid on the end of a stout piece of mono.  You still have to change the spider out after a few spirited fights, but I've had far less refusals with that vs. them turning away from steel leader.  Plus, the steel wire kills the action of the streamers I tie (admittedly irrelevant under the ice).

Ive had more bite offs with braid then with say 40lb Fluorocarbon, off subject sort of but my brother uses wire-bite leaders, a tie-able wire leader when flyfishing. doesn't adversely effect the streamers

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2019, 10:15 AM »
I've never had a pike bite off a wire leader.  I did have a pike which appeared to be in the 35"-40" range break a leader at the loop which clips to my fishing line

Offline Wenger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2019, 11:44 AM »
We used this for barracuda and other toothy fish when fly fishing.   

http://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/tieable-wire-leader/154227

Offline MtPike_Master

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:02 PM »
I use at least  100lb fluoro or 60lb steel leaders.
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
                                              -Henry David Thoreau

Offline pmmpete

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:25 PM »
I've been using 30 pound steel leaders, which have worked find.

Offline IceinMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2019, 11:51 PM »
I use light line compared to most I see. I run 17 lb on my tip ups. Some times I will loose a fish from bite off. But the walleye out weigh the northern losses.

Offline Mtwolfer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2019, 07:24 PM »
I've fished right near a guy getting lots of pike/flags, and I was using same bait,same depth etc. he was using a mono leader I was using wire, I switched and quickly got hits/flags and a few bite offs, I've caught alot on wire leaders,I think it depends on the water, back east with zebra mussles the water gets gin clear and fish get spooky, lately I been using that fly fishing wire you can tie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.