Author Topic: Striker Hardwater or Predator suits  (Read 12257 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
Striker Hardwater or Predator suits
« on: Dec 20, 2015, 01:23 AM »
I'm torn between the Striker Hardwater and Predator suits, not interested in the Climate suit, and would like to know what your experiences are with them.  I only fish in Pennsylvania where the temps very seldom go below the single digits but the wind can really kick up and frequently does.  I mostly fish without a shelter and do a good amount of walking chasing flags.  I know that the Hardwater has a temp rating of a 9 (-20 degrees) where the Predator has a temp rating of 7 (0 degrees).  There's only about a $20 price difference so that doesn't matter.  I'm trying to figure out which one would be the best and comparable to what I'm wearing now to be able to get a good comparison.  Currently I wear a pair of Carhartt arctic insulated pants, wool shirt, Carhartt arctic insulated vest, and a insulated coat.

Offline Tom van Leeuwen

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Striker Hardwater or Predator suits
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2015, 08:32 PM »
I have the Predator, should have purchased the Hardwater. Good suits, well made, I am in Canada.

Offline Cousteau

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 20, 2015, 10:08 PM »
I got the hardwaters last year. Very warm. Too warm 99% of the time in my area. Wore only a base layer underneath and that helped a bit. Very good product but zippers seem cheap. One broke and I'm taking it somewhere to see if they can put better ones on. Was able to fix it in the mean time.

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2015, 04:57 PM »
Last year I bought the Striker Hardwater bibs. I fished all season with the bibs and an older non striker jacket and temperature wise they were comfortable for me. I liked the bibs so I decided to buy a jacket this year and was going thru the same questions as you are a few weeks ago. I ended up buying the Hardwater Jacket. While I haven’t had the jacket out on the ice yet to say for certain whether I made the right choice, having it in hand I really like the zipper vents across the back and under both arms that you can open for ventilation on those warmer days. There also is a drawstring on the inside that you can tighten around the waist on those colder windy days. One of our sponsors Fish307 had the best price for the large jacket ($200) and with Christmas upon us the shipping was free too. The xl sizes were $210. Now hopefully we’ll get some ice so I can put it to good use :tipup:

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2015, 05:44 PM »
Hardwater here, fish outside all the time, never been cold, don't even need longjohns!!

Offline desmobob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't feel my toes...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:24 PM »
I live in upstate NY and have the Predator bibs and jacket... warm enough for me; too warm some of the time.

Highly recommended!!  I've been very pleased with mine.

Tight lines,
Bob

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2015, 07:35 PM »
hardwater has the thickest fabric at 600 denier. that's what sold me. i want tough clothes like carhart so they last the longest.
use the zippers to allow air and use the right base for the temps your in.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2015, 03:41 AM »
I didn't notice that since they're made out of different materials, thanks for pointing it out.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2015, 10:04 AM »
I just ordered a pair of the Hardwater bibs from Fish307 and got them for $199.00 with free shipping and a free random sized T-Shirt.  Thanks for all the help and advice guys, I greatly appreciate it, and Merry Christmas to all of you.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2015, 02:33 AM »
I got my Hardwater bibs today and I'm glad I went with them.  The material is nice and heavy duty and they look like they're well made.  I don't know if they changed the zippers from last year but these zippers look pretty heavy duty.  I really like the padded knees, they didn't scrimp on the padding.

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2015, 07:36 PM »
How come you weren't interested in the Climate suit?

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:26 AM »
I don't have a use for the removable liners option since I'm only going to use it for ice fishing and it was more than I wanted to spend.

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:38 AM »
Ah OK makes sense, I am just trying to figure out what model to go with.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 31, 2015, 04:36 AM »
I just bought the hard water bibs and jacket brand new off Craig's list for $325.00. That's what swayed my decision. So far it hast been too warm and the coldest I fished in so far with it has been in the teens. Like mentioned earlier the vents in the jacket are nice and the bibs I can unzip the legs a little for air as well. Just jeans under neath otherwise too warm. They really thought of everything when they made these bibs and jacket. My buddy bought his at the same time and after a week long fishing trip we were still finding more pockets and grommets lol. Today I fished it was 22 and damp and they weren't too hot. I did take my coat off while drilling though. Right back on to fish. Hope this helps you.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:12 PM »
The price I paid for the Hardwater bibs  at Fish307.com is the same as most places is charging for the Predator bibs.  I haven't used them on the ice yet but I'm sure I'm not going to regret getting them over the Predator bibs. 

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:22 PM »
good stuff. good choice. i use the hw version too. supposed to be a pocket in the upper edge of the bibs i never looked for it. i think they were hand warmer pockets, but it maybe a can holder.
i don't need more fall or spring garments either and wanted dedicated ice floating suit like my artic armor is. way too many other coats for off the ice and i wouldn't want to wear the ice fishing suit any where else either any way. maybe if i could only have one coat, then yes to the climate version. i have at least 20 coats now.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Arm pocket is where truck keys go. Easy to find

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:33 PM »
4 out of the 5 guys I fish with all have Hardwater suits.  I can tell you all of us basically only wear long underwear under the suits with simple light layers.  I feel as though they are worth every penny and are good compromise between the high end frabil suits.
Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 31, 2015, 06:39 PM »
Only thing about frabill they don't float!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:57 PM »
Only thing about frabill they don't float!

That instantly ruled them and a few other suits out as a possibility for me. 

Offline Roffman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2016, 06:19 AM »
Chris,
Are you going to go with the Hardwater jacket as well? I'm getting ready to purchase as well..... This info was helpful. Also how was the fit? I have a very limited selection in my are to actually try the stuff on.
Thanks

Offline Tunapursuit

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tightlines!!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2016, 06:40 AM »
My two cents, Tow years ago I went through several brands and stopped at the Striker Hardware Jacket and Bibs. Only wear a pair of quality undergarment then some sweat pants for bottoms and a hoody for the top. Good pair of sox's and boots and I am good for the day. Bought a second set for snowmobiling I enjoyed them so much. Tightlines Ron
Ron

Offline hearn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2016, 08:09 AM »
Sounds good guys, torn between climate and hardware...like the 'tall' option for the HW as I am 6'5..

Offline Wheres Walleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2016, 11:27 AM »
I have a 36" inseam and the Hardwater is the first set of bibs that I've ever owned that actually fits me in length.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:38 PM »
Chris,
Are you going to go with the Hardwater jacket as well? I'm getting ready to purchase as well..... This info was helpful. Also how was the fit? I have a very limited selection in my are to actually try the stuff on.
Thanks

The selection in my area is slim and none which none is pretty much the norm.  I'm eventually going to buy a coat and when I'm going to go withe the Hardwater coat.  The only thing about the Hardwater coats that I don't like is the wide reflective stripping around the wrists, I wish it was the same as the striping on the Predator coats, but that's a very minor point.  The harder choice for me is if I should go with the blue and grey or black and grey coat.  LOL  The fit on the bibs is good, they're a bit roomy but I'm at the edge between two sizes so I opted for the bigger size for the extra room especially when bending and kneeling over.  I probably could've got away with the smaller size but didn't want to go through the hassle of exchanging them for the bigger size if I was wrong.  The other thing is I don't have to worry about having to replace them any time soon due to my wife's good cooking.   ;D

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jan 01, 2016, 04:40 PM »
I have a 36" inseam and the Hardwater is the first set of bibs that I've ever owned that actually fits me in length.
                                 And its adjustable!!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2016, 09:10 AM »
The selection in my area is slim and none which none is pretty much the norm.  I'm eventually going to buy a coat and when I'm going to go withe the Hardwater coat.  The only thing about the Hardwater coats that I don't like is the wide reflective stripping around the wrists, I wish it was the same as the striping on the Predator coats, but that's a very minor point.  The harder choice for me is if I should go with the blue and grey or black and grey coat.  LOL  The fit on the bibs is good, they're a bit roomy but I'm at the edge between two sizes so I opted for the bigger size for the extra room especially when bending and kneeling over.  I probably could've got away with the smaller size but didn't want to go through the hassle of exchanging them for the bigger size if I was wrong.  The other thing is I don't have to worry about having to replace them any time soon due to my wife's good cooking.   ;D
remember black equals free heat! those reflective bands might be a life saver some day in the dark.
too much room and cold air gets in, that's what happened with my artic armor suit. like you, i don't see myself getting smaller any time soon.

for those still shopping, just buy your regular size. these run big for some air and some room for layers. i also wear poly thermo underwear (no jeans or stiff waste line and much more comfortable being bent most of the day) and a hoodie, other than sock liners and heavy socks. sunny days the parka is in the sled, but it will be used as the sun goes down. windy days it's on until i get a shack warmed up.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2016, 09:19 AM »
Plus if I get the black and grey coat it will match the bibs perfectly.  LOL  Although I do like the blue and gray.  Oh well I have some time to decide. 

Offline Roffman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2016, 08:58 PM »
I went and pulled the trigger on the Hardwater bibs and jacket and the store had a promo if you bought the set they will throw in the striker gloves or mitts, I went with the gloves. I also got them to throw in a beanie hat. Didn't put it to the test yet but I'm sure it will be just fine.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 10, 2016, 01:07 AM »
I used my Hardwater bibs today for the first time and they lived up to my expectations.  Granted it wasn't very cold and windy, it was cold and light rain off and on and they worked great.  The water beaded up on them and rolled right off and the dampness didn't penetrate what so ever.  The only two things I would change on them is I would put the snakeskin material that's on the knees from the bottom of the legs up to the the bottom of the knee pads so there's no chance of the cuffs ever wearing out and have more of an elastic waist band, the one in them doesn't stretch much at all.  The elastic waist band would help out guys like me who are in between sizes that really don't need to go up a size for any other reason than wanting to have the peace of mind that they won't have to go get a new pair of bibs if they gain some weight.  As for the snakeskin on the bottom of the legs, it really isn't much of an issue since you can adjust the leg length so they aren't dragging but it would be a nice addition.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.