Author Topic: More Boot Questions - Which boots for the angler on the go?  (Read 4670 times)

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have mostly used cheap boots and have, for the most part, been happy with them. Some are bulky, some are chilly, some get wet. I haven't made any big purchases this year and decided to go for one nice pair of boots instead of 5 so-so pairs. Any thoughts on a good style for a guy on the go? I rarely even bring a bucket or chair to sit on as I seem to always be moving. Something light and slim is what I have in mind. My feet haven't been all that cold since I have figured out a good sock system. But still, a boot needs to do some of the work!

Mickey's sound warm but too bulky. Next on the good review list is the Muck Arctic Pro. How heavy/bulky are these?

Any other styles I should look into?

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: More Boot Questions - Which boots for the angler on the go?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2015, 09:05 PM »
I use the mucks, I drag my sled and do a fair amount of moving.  I use wmart wool socks with smartwool wool liners.   One thing I do to keep the temperature and moisture correct is wear different boots while driving, then put the mucks on, dress lightly for the drag out, then put my warmer clothes on and fish.  For the walk back I strip down again, walk to the truck, and change boots again.

Offline fowl_language

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2015, 03:15 AM »
I like my LaCrosse Alpha Ice Kings, the Iceman and Ice king are good as well.  The alphas are neoprene fully water proof and might be a little too mickey boot bulky, but I'm not sure I've never had mickey's before.  The Alphas have served me well for 2 seasons going on a third, great warranty and super warm, almost too warm in the shanty! They are comfortable too, walking in them is similar to pack boots.  I'd buy them again if I needed boots.

Offline THE GILL PILL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:48 AM »
Have the LaCrosse ice kings they're a little bulky but not as bad as the mickeys and they are extremely warm. Excellent quality as well this is my 4th season and feet have never once got wet or cold.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2015, 07:00 AM »
I like Steger Muk Luks. I have a pair of the all leather (moose hide) tall Quetico and Camuk Extreme.  The moose hide ones require a water repellent and they offer a silicone spray that goes on like water.  The soles are a soft pliable rubber that is water proof.  Even with slush and water from drilling your feet will never get wet since the water evaporates or freezes.  In a heated house you can actually see the steam come off the boot.  Even if you happen to step in a hole briefly, the water won't penetrate the moose hide and wool liner.  The Camuk Extreme are a bit more water proof since the rubber layer comes up over the top of the boot and the upper is a more water resistant canvas type material.  I actually got the Camuk Extremes for hunting later in the fall when there is no snow because I don't want to get my moose hide ones muddy.  The Extremes also have a more aggressive tread.  I save my Queticos for winter. 

I've spent hours out on the ice and my feet never get cold, even when sitting for long periods. The boots are also nice when you're in a warm shack because your feet won't sweat.  When I've spent the night in a sleeper, I actually sleep with my Muk Luks on.  They're like wearing mocasins or slippers because they are so light.  One of the reasons why these boots are warmer then most, is they don't have thick hard rubber sole that gets cold, which is constantly cooling down your boot and foot.  I traditional pack boots, your feet don't get cold from the air temperature, but you feet are constantly trying to warm up a frozen boot and your feet can't breath, so your feet will also sweat and can't breathe.  With the soft soles, the boot bends and flexes, and you can actually feel the ground when you walk.  This pressure also helps to keep your feet warm. 

They recommend getting a size or two larger, depending on how many insoles you want to add or how many layers of socks you want to wear.  They all have a wool liner and come with another pair of wool insoles that go inside.  You can also add an additional in-sole, either another wool one, contour or reflective.  I've never had the need to add additional insoles, other than a contour one because I have flat feet.  The boots will also stretch somewhat over time and they will actually form to your foot. I wear about 9 1/2" wide shoe, so I got the 10 + and 10 ++ which are their wide and extra wide boots.  I typically wear just one layer of Smart Wool socks, and with the two insoles, wool and contour, I still have plenty of room.  You don't want them to fit snug or tight over your feet, this compresses the foam and your feet will then try to warm the outer layer of the boot.  The pocket of air inside is what keeps your feet warm, but they shouldn't be sloppy either.

The only time my feet ever get chilly is when I sit for several hours on a cold metal deer stand.  That cold metal will eventually cool down the bottom of the boot and you'll beging to feel it.  Standing up and shifting your weight from foot to foot will help to get the blood circulating again and will be warm again.  Or, by the time you get down to grab a late breakfast or lunch, your feet are roast/toasty again when you get back to the truck or cabin.  I would've thought the same principal would apply with ice, that eventually the bottoms of my feet would get cold, but I can't say the every have. I think the layer of compressed snow really helps to insulate the ice. 

Also, there's no better boot for putting on creepers or if you happen to have snoe shoes. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:18 AM »
Cabela's Snowy Range w/ Dry Plus liners.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline fishnfarm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:01 AM »
Bogs have really worked well for me.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2015, 10:19 AM »
I am a fan of Danner boots
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline brycro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I like the mucks.  on my second pair...the newer ones have zippers down the side.....I love them. 
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

Offline JonPerry

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Cabela's Trans Alaska II ;)

Offline Tikkaman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2015, 09:56 PM »
My Irish setters have never let me down,  600 gram insulation.  Cotton socks with tennis shoes for the drive to the lake.

Offline A7X

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2015, 10:16 AM »
I just bought a set of Muck arctic sports... size 11, I'm in between 10-10.5 sizing by measurement... 10 was to snug and too short 11s with insoles under the factory insoles was a perfect for me in length, the insoles corrected the "too much volume" above the foot and ankle with a dress sock liner and wigwam wool...

I'm very excited about these boots, easy on/off and very warm...

I'll recommend these to anybody... if you get sweaty feet easily like I do, don't wear them in higher temps 50+...

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2015, 05:46 AM »
Id say arctic mucks, but get a boot dryer
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2015, 10:17 PM »
I wear Muck Wetlands.

Offline 08megacab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cancer Sucks!!
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2015, 05:52 PM »
Another vote for Muck ...... Arctic Pro's here
Charles E.

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2015, 09:49 AM »
Mucks may be good in the southern ice belt, but have been a major disappointment here where it gets really cold. Rubber gets frozen and boots get slippery. Not very warm either. Three of my guys bought and returned them.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2015, 10:24 AM »
So what do you guys wear up there to keep your feet warm?
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 07, 2015, 11:11 AM »
White Mickeys or Baffin Apex. Warm in any conditions.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline tlzkaasen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Sep 29, 2015, 05:01 AM »
Another vote for a boot dryer to go along with Baffin or Muck.  I've used Lacroose ice kings as well which I believe are way too bulk for me.

Alva Lake in Harshaw, WI (15 minutes to Rhinelander, Tomahawk and Minocqua)

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 04, 2015, 02:28 PM »
I picked up a PEET dryer about a month ago.  It seems to work well now, I don't see why it won't keep me satisfied this winter. 

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 04, 2015, 03:08 PM »
So what do you guys wear up there to keep your feet warm?

muck arctic pros haha...love mine, especially when there's slush.  also really like my baffin impacts.

Offline Tbone9

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Oct 04, 2015, 04:00 PM »
 Ever since a kid I could not keep my feet warm for the life of me one day while at the doctor for a bad cold I asked him what I could do to keep my feet warm. Since she was an excellent Iditarod  sled dog raceroI figured he would know he turned me onto the Cabela's trans Alaskan three boots. These boots are the Only boots that keep my feet warm all day on the ice. I've tried everything every boot and sock combination there is I swear by these boots. Wish I would have discovered them before the age of 44. The insulation is on the bottom where you need it most. They raise you up about three inches.
Always trying to catch those light bitin lethargic sons of fishes.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 04, 2015, 06:15 PM »
interesting that might be the secret of the Red Ball boots I picked up at a garage sale here. They are a older Boot. Feel a little clumsy(takes a bit to get used to) but are very warm boots.

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:30 PM »
Ever since a kid I could not keep my feet warm for the life of me one day while at the doctor for a bad cold I asked him what I could do to keep my feet warm. Since she was an excellent Iditarod  sled dog raceroI figured he would know he turned me onto the Cabela's trans Alaskan three boots. These boots are the Only boots that keep my feet warm all day on the ice. I've tried everything every boot and sock combination there is I swear by these boots. Wish I would have discovered them before the age of 44. The insulation is on the bottom where you need it most. They raise you up about three inches.

The Trans Alaska boots work so well because of a thickly insulated sole. Your feet are three inches above the ice. The most important insulation in cold weather boots is not the wool felt liners or 2,000 gram thinsulate in the uppers. It's the insulation under your feet. 35 years of working and playing outside at ski resorts has given me more opportunity to test winter boots than most people will ever get. My everyday winter boots have 200 gram thinsulate and a Gore-Tex liner. I add a homemade insole cut from a closed cell foam yoga mat. For extreme cold, -20 or colder, I have similar boots with 600 gram thinsulate and the same insoles. The worst thing is too much insulation and sweaty feet. Boots have to be breathable. One thing I barely consider is how waterproof the boots are. I have come to realize that there is no such thing as waterproof boots. Boots will get wet and you need them to be able to dry quickly.

Offline waltman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:38 AM »
LACROSSE

Offline EatenByLimestone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2016, 05:08 AM »
I picked up a pair of Kamik Huntsman this year.  They seem likje a good boot.  I've had them down to 5 so far.  My orthotics fit in them, which they didn't do in the mucks.  Made in the USA too!

Time will tell...

Offline carcus1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2016, 05:45 AM »
baffin titans are the way to go, I also have muck arctic sports and they are ok
Ladywood, Manitoba, Canada

Chute82

« Reply #27 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:50 AM »
US Army Mickey Mouse Boots

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.