Author Topic: Portable’s  (Read 1489 times)

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
Portable’s
« on: Mar 08, 2018, 07:35 AM »
Looking for some suggestions on a portable 4 person, with the season nearing the end I thought that now would be a good time to find deals on portables. The Eskimo’s seem to be of good quality with nice features but was curious as to what others who use them think. Thank you in advance for your advice.

ItsmeitsmeitsJSG

Re: Portable’s
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Eskimo i5 is awesome, replacement parts are cheap if needed too

Offline onehitters21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:27 AM »
Why would anyone buy anything other than Eskimo top of the line

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:28 AM »
Love my Eskimo. I have a FatFish 767 so not big enough for 4, but I have had it 3 years now and no issues or complaints. Nothing has broken, easy up and down for one person, certainly keeps the chill off.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline hockeynut12

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:31 AM »
Eskimo Fatfish 949. My wife and I and two teenagers fit in it with equipment.
I like to walk on water.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2018, 08:34 AM »
I have the Otter Thermal lodge hub shelter.
I don’t know about 4 fisherman inside (would be tight in my opinion but doable) but for 2 people and a dog it’s great and roomy. The only thing I would add is those “puzzle” squares for a floor. Those seem like a great idea but have yet to try some. We use a tarp for a floor at this point.
Very warm with a little buddy heater!

Offline JoeGG

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:15 AM »
Are there ones that fit up to six people. Do you use a Mr. Buddy to heat them?

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2018, 09:20 AM »
I think the big double hubs will fit six or more. Somebody also makes a six-sided (I think it is Clam). I have no experience with with either though.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:08 AM »
Buy a shappell wh6000.  They use 600 denier fabric and I'm 6'1 and can stand up in it.  It also has two doors and blackout or removable windows for extra air.  You also can get the insulated version

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:09 AM »
Buy a shappell wh6000.  They use 600 denier fabric and I'm 6'1 and can stand up in it.  It also has two doors and blackout or removable windows for extra air.  You also can get the insulated version

Offline tackleman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:09 AM »

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I have a Eskimo quickfish 6. Second season with it and no complaints. Got it on sale last year about this time. Four adults and gear would be fine in it in my opinion. It is rated for six people however and I’m sure you could get away with more people if you liked getting cozy with your fishing buddies.

They do make Bigger pop ups. The fatfish 9416 appears to be much bigger and is rated for 7-9. They also make a hexagon version which also looks interesting.

Offline ihunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2018, 12:32 PM »
A friend of mine has the Otter XTH pro resort and it fits 4-6 people very comfortable. Easy to set up and transport as well.

Offline green shack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2018, 12:44 PM »
I have the Otter Thermal lodge hub shelter.
I don’t know about 4 fisherman inside (would be tight in my opinion but doable) but for 2 people and a dog it’s great and roomy. The only thing I would add is those “puzzle” squares for a floor. Those seem like a great idea but have yet to try some. We use a tarp for a floor at this point.
Very warm with a little buddy heater!

I use the insulating puzzle floor in my NFS hardside for the last 4 seasons works great.  I like what you are thinking for the portable.  I bet it would  great.

Offline Running for flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 09, 2018, 08:35 AM »
Are there ones that fit up to six people. Do you use a Mr. Buddy to heat them?
I have a Eskimo quikfish 6 and it’s awesome! I can fit 3 adults 3 kids and still have room to walk also have a big buddy heater and grill setup!! It’s perfect and so easy 1 person can set it up in about 2 minutes
Wait there's ice????

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2018, 02:38 PM »
I like my Clam Bigfoot 2000

Offline Fishermen

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2018, 05:00 PM »
Do your homework on the clam refuge and you won't be disappointed

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum