The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Hebgen ice fishing tournament  (Read 9560 times)

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Hebgen ice fishing tournament
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:27 PM »
I actually own a construction business and the only thing I have to do with the tournament is that I entered in it to fish. Just got sick of you cryin about being broke!

IceCreeper

« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:33 PM »
So your just trying to bring more money to the pot?Im not too broke to do 4 other tourneys for the price of the one your doing,why dont you come up to CF sat and Sun and put sdome money in our pot or are you just fishing your local lakes because of the cost of travel and being unfamiliar with the other lakes?

Offline Jason watts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:46 PM »
Livingston is farther from hebgen than cf

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:05 PM »
WOW!!   :o  This is one for the ages on iceshanty...I'LL SEE YOU IN THE PARKING LOT!  ;D

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #34 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:09 PM »
WOW!!   :o  This is one for the ages on iceshanty...I'LL SEE YOU IN THE PARKING LOT!  ;D

Funny, I almost hear "get a rope" in the background! :afro:

It don't matter who goes, it's part of a circuit qualifier which I have yet to find where and when the rest of the circuit will be.  If you qualify, do you need to carry on to maybe Minnesota, Wisconsin, Canada or even CONRAD, MT.?  ;D  Then what's the cost there?  The $21,000 payout is based on 150 teams.  What if...there is only 10 teams....total prize money $2000 bummer, won't pay for even the trip.  On the other hand, every team would get a piece of the pie.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline steelerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 25, 2012, 07:37 PM »
I thinkk the tourney was set up based on bringing people from 6 to 8 different states, and in that regard I'm guessing that the tournament was set up in West so those traveling 500 to  1000 miles plus would also have the oppertunity of visiting the park and giving out of towners an excuse to make it week vacation  rather than a 5 hour fishing tournament, maybe even bring the entire family. However as a resident the allure of fishing a 5 hour for trout in a tournament staying in a town where prices are going to be higher than most areas is not for me. I've started doing a few tournament around the area and enjoy doing it. Fished the PA last year and had a great time.  Did 800 miles plus round trip two weekends in a row for it and will be doing it again this year. Bottom line IMO is that Most(don't hang me for this) of the guys serious about tourny fishing here are much more exicited about other species. I personally just don't get excited about trout. And to go to West takes a little more away from it for me. No problem with 200 to enter just not interested. However, Good Luck to all that fish it and I'll be thinking of all ya well I sit in my garage and listen to 20 or 30 of my friends prod me as to why my Packers are sitting in the stands watching. Hope it goes well.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:11 PM »
I think Mr Watts is awesome, I think all he was trying to do here was get alittle feed back to see if anyone else was interested in the tournament.  Also, I know he doesn't need a rope.  I'm sure he can take care of himself.

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • C'mon Sub-Zeros! Tēm Hîpē FySh <°]))}{
« Reply #37 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:28 PM »
would make the trip down to fish it if I wasn't 600 miles away at work.

Jay

Bummer Jay, hope you can make it sometime!

Offline cnelson

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:49 PM »
so do they have like a biggest fish bonus  or is it just highest lb of combined catch for the 5 hours? and do they really have a ice fishing bikini team

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:02 PM »
The first two events have had a "Winner of the Hummingbird Big Fish Award"! I have no idea what that wold include other than a Hummingbird product.... cold be their Ice -55 flasher..... iI really don't know. As for the bikini team, not this year. :( Three is one, they aren't much for fishin and they hardly ever put the bikinis on anyway mostly IceArmor...... made that look pretty good though ;D

IceCreeper

« Reply #40 on: Jan 25, 2012, 10:41 PM »
Still waiting to hear how many times a year Jason drives half way across the state to at the cost of 7-800$ to fish a lake he doesnt know for a trout tourney....there is one Saturday up on willow creek and the entry fee is only $15 with a payout somewhere around $8000,whats the projected payout at Hegben?.I guess these $15-$50 tourneys I do are just for broke ass noobys like me....

Offline JayHelfrich

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My kids can out fish you!
« Reply #41 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:21 AM »
Bummer Jay, hope you can make it sometime!

Maybe late in the season.  I'm going to go chase warm water fish with my wife and kids for a while.

Jay
Take a kid fishing.

Kids that hunt, fish, and trap don't rob anyone's grandma!

Offline Stevedave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 26, 2012, 09:22 AM »
there is one Saturday up on willow creek and the entry fee is only $15 with a payout somewhere around $8000,whats the projected payout at Hegben?.I guess these $15-$50 tourneys I do are just for broke ass noobys like me....
+ 1

It is always nice to see a tournament like the one at willow creek that is put on for the "right reasons" i.e. fun,  instead of catering to a local economy hoping to attract out of staters.

I will be at willow creek and would be regardless of cost.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #43 on: Jan 26, 2012, 10:10 AM »
So do any of you guys watch "Ice Men"???  If you have over the last two seasons you would learn that this NAIFC qualifier is used for two purposes.  1) you can qualify for the Nation Championship in Rhinelander WI.  2) On Saturday they hold a qualifier for the USA Ice Team.  So this tournament is put on for guys that are REALLY serious about competitive ice fishing.  They are looking for guys that can do well fishing on ANY body of water, not just those that they are familiar with.  This tourney is more about a level playing field and true competition than getting droves a guys to fish or making the pot bigger.    If you made the USA Ice Team you represent the USA at the world Ice Fishing Championship!!!  This event will be filmed for the show.  It is a pretty big deal for West Jellystone...but even bigger for our state to be included in the circuit.  I understand that it is in no way a "local" tourney, but then again its not supposed to be.

IMHO, the teams that are signing up are exactly the target audience the NAIFC wants there....

IceCreeper

« Reply #44 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:05 PM »
The ones that could afford to go on tour if they qualify?

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 26, 2012, 12:57 PM »
The ones that could afford to go on tour if they qualify?
You would get an invitation to go on tour if you qualify, you could accept or refuse.  I guess I don't understand the animosity toward an ice fishing tournament.  I understand that it is expensive, but once again don't participate if you don't want to.  If nobody shows up that's too bad for the organizers and the participants that do come, but come on, does it actually irritate some of you that there is a derby there to begin with?

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #46 on: Jan 26, 2012, 02:35 PM »
I MADE THE LINEUP!!!!

I just went to http://www.naifc.com/events.php?pg=regs&eid=32&season=2012 found out there are already 46 teams registered.  This is the third event for NAIFC.  Looks like Montana is well represented.
Rules are at this link  http://www.naifc.com/rules.php  Already I am disqualified by rule #8.NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED!  who are they kidding!  Alcohol is my prescribed blood thinner.

Registered Teams

1    948    STODDARD, STEVE - MT / WETZEL, SCOTT - ID
2    949    CHAIKA, MARGARET - MT / VAN HOOSER, DAVID - MT
3    964    BERRY, MIKE - MT / SNEIGOSKI, RICHARD - MT
4    968    WHITE, HAROLD - MT / GAY, RON - MT
5    971    CLEVERLY, RICHARD - MT / SIMPKINS, JIM - MT
6    972    SCHROTH, IAN - WY / WEAVER, DUSTIN - WY
7    983    SCHOLL, KEVIN - MT / COLLIE, CHUCK - MT
8    987    LARSON, MITCH - MT / LAFLAMME, WADE - MT
9    992    HOWELL, JASON - MT / HENDERSON, RONALD - MT
10    995    GARDENER, NATHAN - MT / MC BIRNIE, JAMES - MT
11    996    STACHOWSKI, CLAY - MT / STACHOWSKI, DAN - MN
12    998    ATKINSON, TOM - ID / KARLING, DAVE - ID
13    1003    LOMAN, CULLEN - MT / KEMP, MICHAEL - MT
14    1004    SPRING, JUSTIN - MT / SPRING, REBECCA - MT
15    1005    HOLTHUES, BUFFIE - MT / STEFAN, NIKKI - MT
16    1012    SOBCZAK, ART - MT / BREWSTER, RICKY - MT
17    1007    REINERTSON, MITCH - MT / WATTS, JASON - MT
18    1008    SCHMIER, JAKE - MT / DAVENPORT, DAN - MT
19    1013    GEER, JOEL - MT / HERBST, RANDY - MT
20    1027    CLARK, SCOTT - MT / HOUSTON, STEPHANIE - MT
21    1031    HUBNER, MICK - MT / HUBNER, SUZANNE - MT
22    1029    OSTLER, GARRETT - UT / OSTLER, MCKELLE - MT
23    1030    GEER, DAN - MT / GEER, PATTY - MT
24    1035    LEWIS, WYATT - MT / STARKWEATHER, BOBBIE - MT
25    1041    DEPAOLI, DAVID - MT / DAVIS, TOBY - MT
26    1045    SCHMITTER, JAMES - ID / RAGAN, SCOTT - ID
27    1046    ARDISSON, WALTER - MT / HAYES, CURTIS - MT
28    1048    ROBERSON, JEREMY - MT / JOHNSON, SCOTT - MT
29    1051    HOFSTAD, SHANE - UT / CUMMINGS, BRENT - UT
30    973    STOWELL, CHIPPA - MT / FISHBACK, RUSS - MT
31    1052    KINGSLAND, ED - MT / ROJAS, BEAU - MT
32    1062    WHITMAN, QUINT - ID / WHITMAN, KENNETH - MT
33    1069    PINCOCK, JEIRRY - UT / PINCOCK, JEREMY - ID
34    1071    DYER, JACK - MY / COCHRAN, MAC - MT
35    1072    SAYER, JOE - MT / SAYER, JOHN - MT
36    1073    STEINMETZ, KRIS - MT / KOESSLER, JIMMY - MT
37    1040    VANDERJAGT, STEVE - MT / TANNER, CASEY - MT
38    1074    IRELAND, PATRICK - MT / KOHN, JEFF - MT
39    1076    WHITMAN, JAREN - MT / GOODING, KENNY - MT
--      958    LAFORGE, DAVID - MI / FINCH, PAUL - MI
--    1020    JOHNSON, JERRY - MT / BURDEN, MATT - MT
--    1077    HENNINGS, SHAWN - ND / ABRAHAMSON, CHRIS - ND
--    1078    GOULD, JEFF - MT / FLORES, HERB - MT
--    1067    YARRINGTON, TOM - UT / YARRINGTON, KELLY - UT
--      234    DEVER, LES - ND / LIVINGSTON, IRA - ND
--    1079    KRZYCKI, CRAIG - MT / HALL, JOHN - MT

Here is the Lakes they will fish as open qualifiers
01/08/2012    Pelican Lake, MN  (DONE)
01/22/2012    Lake Jarvis, ND    (DONE)
02/05/12      Hebgen Lake, MT    [Qual]
02/12/12      Lk Maxinkuckee, IN    [Qual]
02/19/12      Long Lake, SD            [Qual]
02/26/12      Lake Menomin, WI    [Qual]
03/04/12      Croton Dam Pond, MI    [Qual]
12/15/12      2012 Championship    [Champ]  Lake To be Determined

Host Community Sponsors
Culver Chamber of Commerce
Marshall County Indiana Tourism
Menomonie Area Chamber of Commerce
Monticello Chamber of Commerce & Industry
Newaygo Convention & Visitors Bureau
Turtle Mountain Tourism Association
Watertown Chamber of Commerce
West Yellowstone Chamber of Commerce 

Season Leader Board
1.    #245    BLEGEN / BLEGEN    [49 Pts]
2.    #822    ENDORF / NICELY    [46 Pts]
3.    #970    HORN / DELORME JR.    [37 Pts]
4.    #912    HALLORAN / WALHOWE    [30 Pts]
5.    #683    FASSBIND / SMYERS    [29 Pts]
6.    #1063    SCHEPP / DEMMING    [29 Pts]
7.    #938    ERICKSEN / BELSER    [28 Pts]
8.    #227    BJONFALD / PALMER    [28 Pts]
9.    #301    NEWBY / WILSON    [27 Pts]
10.    #1047    SCOTT / HONEYMAN    [27 Pts]
wish you many hook-ups

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Neptune and Matcat are, IMO, right on. Neptune spelled out the purpose of this event and the target. Matcat again stated don't come if you don't want. But it does seem some are just p.o.'ed its on Hebgen and not another location. Sorry Fellas that is just the way it is.... and
It is always nice to see a tournament like the one at willow creek that is put on for the "right reasons" i.e. fun,  instead of catering to a local economy hoping to attract out of staters.
....... what is wrong with that....the economy could use any help it can get and that goes for anywhere in MT, ID, WY,..etc.  This wasn't "Put ON" to help West in the winter time. If it wasn't at Hebgen it'd be somewhere else, most likely in the midwest and much further for Montanans than the SouthWest corner of the state. West Yellowstone just made the effort to get it here. Also i plan on enjoying myself first, i.e. fun, and kickin a$$ second, I guess I don't get it. If you like the more hometown tourneys that is fine..... I do too! But obviously this is different. And what is wrong with something different. The only other FWP listed tourney that week is Hell Creek, I believe, so I don't think it takes away from anything else. I'm proud its here. I'm glad we can even have this discussion. And Creeper sorry if you feel targeted but you have been outspoken about how poorly planned this event is and how unrealistic the expectations are, and how you still wouldn't attend if it were next door and so on.....

IceCreeper

« Reply #48 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:40 PM »
No alcohol?Is this a mormon fund raiser? ::)

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #49 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:48 PM »
....you also only get to fish with one fishing rod....Like I said earlier...very competitive!

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:58 PM »

GET OVER IT AND MOVE ON!!

IceCreeper

« Reply #51 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Look whos talking...are the cap letters supposed to indicate some form of authority?

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:06 PM »
I've never seen somebody come up with so many excuses as to why they can't go fishing (other than my wife)...all I know is that there must be some interest in the event given the 40+ teams signed up so let those people enjoy talking about the event and move on.

Offline jezzhuntin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:17 PM »
 :clap: :thumbsup:  This is a hilarious discussion over a fishing tourney.  Giving me some good entertainment while I am laid up after surgery.  I just moved here from ID and was going to get down to Hebgen this winter as I have only fished it during the summer and had a blast catching some lunkers...... but it looks like it will have to wait next year.  Sounds like fun to me, just wish I wasn't on crutches   :'(....gotta go get some more popcorn...... carry on.   :tipup:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:25 PM »
IceCreeper,
I may enter the derby just to be able to fill you in so we can keep this thread going for years to come.

I just spoke to my fishing buddy (who shall remain anon until he discloses himself)  and we may take a stab at the derby if there is affordable lodging to be had. 

I'll be watching for Bighof and Kirkwood Kyle and others so I can use rule #6. Participants may drill as many holes as they wish. However, any open hole may be fished by any competitor as long as they maintain the 5 meter rule. Hole Blocking is not allowed: Leaving a portable or other equipment next to a hole does not stop another fisherman from using that hole if you are over 5 meters (16.4 ft) away.[/u][/color]

I'll just dash into their shanty when they walk away, and if they try to come back, I'll call the judges.   Bahaahahahahahaha! :thumbsup: :whistle:

I will have to drink my beer prior to starting time tho.

wish you many hook-ups

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:33 PM »
so do they have like a biggest fish bonus  or is it just highest lb of combined catch for the 5 hours? and do they really have a ice fishing bikini team
I see a very frightening "frosting" photo entry in the making  ;D

Offline icing_perch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:46 PM »
I just fished the East Fork Perch Derby last week in Lewistown and that is one of the rules as well there.  It has nothing to do with religion.  It has more to do with a quality safe time for all involved.  As far as the cost of this tournament I understand paying $200 entry fee is not for everyone.  Honestly though as trout tournaments go this is one that I think would be fun to fish where you have to be able to catch more thatn one lucky fish to win it.  I have fished the Willow Creek tournament and would love to fish the CF tounament for perch but I personally don't have a quad or snow machine for getting out on the lake.  Do I or anyone else on here bash Helena for having a tournament that I can't easily fish because I would have to walk to far or spend money on a vehicle to get out there to fish.  I honestly think you have made your point and need to relax about the tournament at Hebgen. Everyone knows by now it isn't your cup of tea.

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #57 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:53 PM »

I bet your gonna see more banana hammocks than bikinis. :roflmao:
wish you many hook-ups

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #58 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:03 PM »
I just went to http://www.naifc.com/events.php?pg=regs&eid=32&season=2012 found out there are already 41 teams registered.  This is the third event for NAIFC.  Looks like Montana is well represented.
Rules are at this link  http://www.naifc.com/rules.php  Already I am disqualified by rule #8.NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED!  who are they kidding!  Alcohol is my prescribed blood thinner.

I saw that too.... Fortunately you can drink as much as you want Thurs, Friday, and Sat.  after you weigh your fish on Sunday....We are staying at the stagecoach inn.  I belive it was 50 ish per night.  I know it came to $196 for 3 nights with tax for a double queen,  not too shabby.   As long as it has a hot shower and an outlet to keep the Marcums charged Ill be GTG!

Any of you that decide to show up shoot me a PM!
l

Offline BackCountry Kyle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:27 PM »
I'll be watching for Bighof and Kirkwood Kyle and others so I can use rule #6. Participants may drill as many holes as they wish. However, any open hole may be fished by any competitor as long as they maintain the 5 meter rule. Hole Blocking is not allowed: Leaving a portable or other equipment next to a hole does not stop another fisherman from using that hole if you are over 5 meters (16.4 ft) away.[/u][/color]

hahaha, you won't be the only one! There is a couple local all female teams that may need me to drill them...some holes too. Only $5/per, j/k no charge for iceshanty members. And if your toward the back of the pack just tell me where you want em. Probably next to the female team, eh?

I will have to drink my beer prior to starting time tho.

Also, not sure but I think urinating on the ice is illegal. Of course I never have, but a container of some sort may help avoid problems.

JezzHuntin can you ride a sled? I bet we can get you out there sometime if you want.... no promises on bringing you back, but you should be okay as long as you don't outfish me. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.