Author Topic: Walking poles and cleats  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Twelvegaugepump

• IceShanty Rookie
Walking poles and cleats
« on: Sep 04, 2022, 12:15 PM »
My father-in-law has balance issues due to brain cancer. He is excited to get back out ice fishing this year after surgery and chemo these past two seasons. I am going to be looking for places that are easy to walk out. I am thinking of getting him some walking poles and ice cleats for stability. Do any of you have any recommendations on what to get?  Thanks in advance.

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Walking poles and cleats
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2022, 12:33 PM »
Sorry to hear about your father-in-law…
My suggestion would be the cleats and a walker for the best stability if there isn’t any snow cover on the ice. With snow, the cleats and trekking poles might be the better option.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2022, 12:51 PM »
I have seen Smitty sleds that incorporate a seat and handles in back for stability. Kind of like a walker for the ice. That is what I would build to help him out on the ice.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2022, 01:14 PM »
 I have a smitty both push and pull,  pushing if he has the  strength , if he has coordination issue poles could be bit of a problem as I’ve had 2 friends that had this terrible disease and have seen the issues they had to over come

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2022, 01:23 PM »
I too have stability issues due to a "dead leg" from spinal issues and destroyed ACL/MCL in that same knee. What worked for me was 1/2" #6 stainless hex-head sheet metal screws put into the lugs on my boots. Cheap and easy, come right out if they don't work for ya. Just don't wear 'em on a wood floor.
XC ski poles would be a good bet for him. They have a different tip and no "basket". (I was a XC skier for years)

“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2022, 01:54 PM »
 Kold kutter racing spikes on my boots ,16 in each pack boot , my trans Alaskans have 21 each , providing you want a designated ice boot

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2022, 06:32 PM »
Sorry to hear about Dad , but you can never break the spirit of a true slushie.
I would go w/ crampons & 2 walking sticks w/ the 4 post style bottoms .
I prefer the 17 spike cleats but after the water hits em , they develop ice balls in the arch & ya gotta do the twist to break em up..
Swift Tines

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Sep 05, 2022, 07:54 AM »
I have never felt more confident on the ice with Kahtoola MicroSpikes. You may want to try a pair of Trekking Poles with carbide tips?

May want to ask his Oncologist and a Physical Therapist for advice, they will do what they can to make things happen for your Father-in-law if it is possible.

Thoughts and Prayers are with your Father-in-law, you, the family and friends...
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Twelvegaugepump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 05, 2022, 08:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions and kind words and thoughts. Life is short. Make the most of the time you have.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2022, 04:06 PM »
Thanks everyone for the awesome suggestions and kind words and thoughts. Life is short. Make the most of the time you have.

Yup. No truer words ever spoken. I refuse to give in to all the political rhetoric and other negative bullcrap. I've lived too long and worked hard to not enjoy what time I may have left. Fridge is full...bills are paid...wife is happy. No reason to be pissed (grumpy). I make my own bed...and it's comfy. Sorry...not sorry... for getting off topic.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Ronnie D

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2022, 03:51 AM »

If you live in S.E. Michigan, P.M me & I can give ya some short launch walks that'll put ya on da fish pretty quick.

Offline Twelvegaugepump

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Thanks Ronnie D.  Northeast WI is home for us.  If anyone has any suggestions within an hour or two of Appleton on easy walk out launches, I am all ears!  Thanks again everyone.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Sep 08, 2022, 06:16 AM »
The older Me and my fishing buddies get, I worry about them more and more.
I think more about getting them off the ice if there is a health problem.
Last season I was thinking of throwing everything out of my Jet sled to haul my friend to shore.
Each season we don't walk as far or as fast. Hate getting old!
So for your situation, maybe a chair in a jet sled to pull him out on the days with little snow?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 08, 2022, 06:41 AM »
I've always been a crouch down on the ice guy. Not anymore. The knees won't have it. Gonna learn to fish standing up. I hope. Anyway, I'm building something similar to this minus the seat. But, this could be something you and your father in law could use...some stability, haul some gear and a place to sit. Good luck in whatever you do. Yup...getting old sucks.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 08, 2022, 06:48 AM »
The older Me and my fishing buddies get, I worry about them more and more.
I think more about getting them off the ice if there is a health problem.
Last season I was thinking of throwing everything out of my Jet sled to haul my friend to shore.
Each season we don't walk as far or as fast. Hate getting old!
So for your situation, maybe a chair in a jet sled to pull him out on the days with little snow?

This is may early/late ice set up ...using a Jet Sled 1 and  director chair ...I have since changed the chair from a half back to a full back ..much better ...adding hyfax is probably a good idea as is a longer rope .

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.