Author Topic: Best Line for Gills?  (Read 9472 times)

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
Best Line for Gills?
« on: Mar 03, 2008, 09:56 PM »
Just recently started to fish for panfish via hardwater and love it! So I have been sitting my walleye rods to the side. For all you die hard panfish fisherman what is the best line to use for these fish? Have been using 2lb Berkley Vanish but man is it "kinky".

So, instaed of me wasting my money to experiment with other lines I figured I would ask for some opinions first. Didn't know if I should try some Fireline or Spiderwire with a mono type leader?
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Best Line for Gills?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2008, 08:29 AM »
I'm a big bull gill man myself,that's my target fish,I've been using Trilene ice( grey color) I use 2,3,4,pound test.When there fussy,I'll use 2lb,if not 3 or 4lb,I use 4lb test when using spoons,like the Frosty or Forage minnow,(alot of bass and pike hit the spoon)2lb test when finesse fishing with Ratso's and small jigs size(12 -16's).Get yourself some GILL PILLS,they where outstanding jigs this winter.The firetiger just put buckets of quality gills in are freezer,Big gills to me start at 8 inches and go up,we got at least over 200 gills that where over 9 inches this year.

Offline bladebait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Line Wet And Your Noodles Warm!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2008, 09:16 PM »
I'm a big bull gill man myself,that's my target fish,I've been using Trilene ice( grey color) I use 2,3,4,pound test.When there fussy,I'll use 2lb,if not 3 or 4lb,I use 4lb test when using spoons,like the Frosty or Forage minnow,(alot of bass and pike hit the spoon)2lb test when finesse fishing with Ratso's and small jigs size(12 -16's).Get yourself some GILL PILLS,they where outstanding jigs this winter.The firetiger just put buckets of quality gills in are freezer,Big gills to me start at 8 inches and go up,we got at least over 200 gills that where over 9 inches this year.
Thanks' for the reply captain54. I will take your advice!
Some men fish real hard but only "real men" fish hardwater!

Offline ~X~

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2008, 06:06 PM »
I just use 2 pound Berkley Trilene XL in the clear color. You can get it in spools large enough to fill the spool on the small spinning reels and it's cheap. Just about everyone I know does the same thing.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2008, 07:26 PM »
I use 2 lb. Stren yellow, small jigs don't fish right on 4lb. test. Marmooska's and Moon Jigs are my favorites.  HT 24" Ice Blue, IB-24 rod is what I use for gills and crappie, watching the line and rod tip is critical, because they flare their gills and suck the bait in. I've caught a few nice crappie on this set up, 17.5", 3lb.2oz.  is my personal best.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2008, 08:24 PM »
Pline FluroIce 2lb.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2008, 06:31 AM »
Im a P-line guy for gills as well, in 2lb up to 4lb

So, instaed of me wasting my money to experiment with other lines I figured I would ask for some opinions first

dont hesitate to try a few different kinds of line, as it will come down to personal preference. I tyr a new line each season to make sure Im not missing out on anything amazing. I have tied on some awful lines but also found some amzing lines...

Offline fishhead16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2008, 07:32 AM »
Im going to try the 2lb cajun line this year.
"TEAM STINKY PINKY"

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2008, 08:09 AM »
I like the lighter cajun line, as you go heavey it starts to coil and kink

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2008, 05:08 PM »
I used 2 lb. Berkely Trilene Ice last year in grey color and it worked very well.  I am mixing in some Sunline Sniper Fluoro this year in case they get real finicky. 
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

Offline ~X~

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2008, 05:20 PM »
The 2 pound FC Sniper Fluoro works great, but since Sunline wacked the US Distributor and most of the pro staff I have no way of getting it any more. Even if I could after what they did I wouldn't consider it...

Offline Jigging Nomad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigging Nomad
« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2008, 04:02 AM »
Tackle Warehouse still sells Sniper.  Great line. 
Looking for JUMBO Perch, Crappie, and Bluegill

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2008, 04:37 AM »
The 2 pound FC Sniper Fluoro works great, but since Sunline wacked the US Distributor and most of the pro staff I have no way of getting it any more. Even if I could after what they did I wouldn't consider it...
EBAY has a ton of it.

Offline ~X~

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 08, 2008, 05:20 AM »
Yeah I may have to break down and get some. Had a bad taste in my mouth ever since they just up and deleted their entire pro staff program out of the blue. A lot of us worked really hard to promote Sunline to be where it is and then to just be cut off without any knowledge of it was pretty irritating...

Offline IowaNate

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2008, 12:19 PM »
 I use Berkely's Coldwater blue line in 3 lb test. Very limp and easy to see against the ice.

Offline westt5

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2008, 12:20 PM »
so no one has tried fire line?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #16 on: Dec 06, 2008, 12:32 PM »

Oh, I have tried fireline...but the question was what is the best line for gills, and fireline is not the best line for anything...it has it's place, but is strictly a secondary rod line for me...and it has to be crystal, not the original.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2008, 07:51 AM »
I like P-line in 2-4#, and keep a couple of rigs spooled with each. Usually have one rig spooled with braided line, (Power Pro with a short flouro leader) not my choice for gills, though it works well for heavier perch spoons IMO.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2008, 07:19 PM »
P-line or gamma ice #2

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 08, 2008, 05:13 AM »
For the past few seasons, I've liked the Stren Hi-Viz GOLD 4 lb. While it may be a little stiffer than typical "ice-lines" or "micro-lines", I can certainly see it better and tie knots easier.  It doesnt get whipped by the wind as easily as lighter lines.  I'll put a leader on it using any 2-4 lb line I have available or find on sale.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 08, 2008, 11:37 AM »
Gotta try the new Gamma Fluoro Ice

Anyone ever use Tortue Nicrita in the past? I had the 3# test; held up  for many seasons.

Can't find it now. In-Fish recommended it back in '95  ;D
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline slabgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Crappie!!!!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:46 PM »
2 lb vanish works fine for me and i catch plenty 8 1/2 to 10 inches every year never have had a problem with it :tipup: :tipup:

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:07 PM »
gamma esp in 1-2#
Dave

Offline Richard Cr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:43 PM »
Just call me crazy but I like to use nylon sewing thread. Just set the drag quite light and finesse them in with a very limber rod.
I've caught many nice (8"-10") gills with this and when they are sluggish and line shy it seems to be the ticket Just don't HOG them in cuz it don't work.
Hoovering like a fly....waiting for a windshield on the freeway

Offline zwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:59 PM »
1 lb ice trilene.  The lighter, the better for gills.  I've landed some big fish like bass, walleye and pike on it.  Just have to take your time.

Offline KTapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 24, 2008, 11:22 PM »
Berkly fireline line crystal 1 or 2 pound. Love it!

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2008, 10:09 AM »
   Fireline Ice with about a 3 to 4 ft. Flourocarbon leader. In the right conditions with a camera or even looking straight down the hole you can see the difference in visability. Mono looks like Flourecient kite string,
Flourocarbon is dam near invisable. The fireline is no stretch - better sensitivity and hook set and no memory.
I don't like using straight flouro line as it's quite expensive, has memory and cold/stiffening characteristrics and the fact that our Sun will be a burnt out cinder befor this stuff will bio degrade. Wads of old mono all over bodies of water are bad enough now.

Spin

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:34 PM »
4# suffix elite ... used to use Berkley XL, this stuff is way better.  I use Fireline and Power Pro for everthing else pertaining to open water, but braid does not work well in freezing conditions, so I don't ice fish with it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:16 PM »
I use berkley trilene micro ice in 3lb.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:30 PM »
I have 2lb Fire Line Crystal on both my bluegill rods and on my perch rods. I pulled all my different monos off. I like it. But then again, that's just me.

Bruster

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.