The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: How are the ice coditions on Onata?  (Read 2017 times)

Offline Drgetiton

• IceShanty Rookie
How are the ice coditions on Onata?
« on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:01 PM »
Just looking for a ice codition report? Heard trucks were out the as of tuesday, wondering how it is after the weather weds and thurs.

Offline xjbob99

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How are the ice coditions on Onata?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:05 PM »
where is onata?

Offline BFFlynn51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:08 PM »
I can't report on Onota, but I fished Cheshire reservoir during the heatwave.   3" of crappy splintered ice on top with 6-8 of better stuff underneath.  No snow cover and huge old holes.  Some measuring 14-20" across.  Edges were still good when I walked off at 4pm.  I think as long as it dips back below freezing at night it'll hold up okay.

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2018, 12:56 PM »
I can't report on Onota, but I fished Cheshire reservoir during the heatwave.   3" of crappy splintered ice on top with 6-8 of better stuff underneath.  No snow cover and huge old holes.  Some measuring 14-20" across.  Edges were still good when I walked off at 4pm.  I think as long as it dips back below freezing at night it'll hold up okay.

Old holes are the danger on onota, I did a smelt run Tuesday night and the smelt grounds were littered with holes I can imagine those holes are massive now and that’s above deep water 50 plus feet be careful and use a spud.
Drill um and fill um........

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:08 PM »
Old holes are the danger on onota, I did a smelt run Tuesday night and the smelt grounds were littered with holes I can imagine those holes are massive now and that’s above deep water 50 plus feet be careful and use a spud.

I need to do a smelt run.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:09 PM »

That’s good news. Thanks for the info

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2018, 01:19 PM »
I need to do a smelt run.

This sat night I’m game. Chasing them again for sure as long as the weather holds. If your free and game we could use the company out there

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:03 PM »
This sat night I’m game. Chasing them again for sure as long as the weather holds. If your free and game we could use the company out there

It is on my way back from LG.  Will need some redbull but I want to try!   ;D

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:07 PM »
Just got off onota this morning around 10 plenty of ice watch out for old holes they are getting big. Also a couple cracks in a few areas where there’s a decent 2 inch opening and ice will sink a little right around them but not to much to worry about. Had anywhere from 5-12 inches out there thinner around old holes but most of the ice was 10-12. Access at the boat ramp is a no go I got on to the left of the ramp but getting off today that section is getting smaller still looked good further down the lake

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:16 PM »
Just got off onota this morning around 10 plenty of ice watch out for old holes they are getting big. Also a couple cracks in a few areas where there’s a decent 2 inch opening and ice will sink a little right around them but not to much to worry about. Had anywhere from 5-12 inches out there thinner around old holes but most of the ice was 10-12. Access at the boat ramp is a no go I got on to the left of the ramp but getting off today that section is getting smaller still looked good further down the lake

Good to hear. Let the planking begin!

Offline Eastciderida

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:25 PM »
Said they were getting 3-5 inches of snow today also. Finding one of those holes won’t be fun if they get covered I’m 230 and could easily fall right through the bigger ones there were a bunch of them. Made navigating at night fun

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:38 PM »
This time of year is my favorite great bite and less googans.  Breathable waders over a plank any day!

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Said they were getting 3-5 inches of snow today also. Finding one of those holes won’t be fun if they get covered I’m 230 and could easily fall right through the bigger ones there were a bunch of them. Made navigating at night fun

Lol. Spud carefully. Adds an interesting element to ice fishing

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2018, 02:45 PM »

I’m 170 - which means I would fall through that hole like a hotdog down a hallway. Definitely spudding with each step this weekend.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:14 PM »
Same deal at woods today. Huge holes that coverd in snow. I just slide my feet forward to feel for any edges if I walked on an unknown path. Prolly looked funny as hell to anyone else lol
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:26 PM »
I just need ice to last until Monday somewhere in the berkshires

Last call!    :tipup:

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2018, 08:42 PM »
I just need ice to last until Monday somewhere in the berkshires

Last call!    :tipup:

Fishing pontoosuc tommorow be able to give ya an update after. What are you targeting I know a couple bodies of water way in the hills that should be safe till Monday if not longer.

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:53 PM »
Fishing pontoosuc tommorow be able to give ya an update after. What are you targeting I know a couple bodies of water way in the hills that should be safe till Monday if not longer.

Trying to make one last pike run. Hoping at least chesire holds onto enough ice for one last trip

Offline fishingfiend413

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:09 PM »
yea, I'm interested in the ice conditions on Pontoosuc too.  Was planning on going tomorrow.  Just got back in town fishing from Moosehead Lake during the week.  Lots of ice still up there (2.5' - 3').  But when stopping by southern New Hampshire (Cobbetts Pond) on the way home, all the edges appeared to be open and not able to get on the ice.  Those couple of 70 degree days really cut the season short in Southern New Hampshire.

Offline troutncrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:42 PM »
Pontoosuc was fine today I had 10 inches all five holes but you need a plank for access and FYI tommorow is the Tom wren derby 6-3 I believe. The reason I know this is because while we were walking off the derby guys came to inspect the ice and said it was still a go. PM me for specifics on pontoosuc access or ice conditions  anything the post didn’t answer

Offline KillerFish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:51 PM »
Pontoosuc was fine today I had 10 inches all five holes but you need a plank for access and FYI tommorow is the Tom wren derby 6-3 I believe. The reason I know this is because while we were walking off the derby guys came to inspect the ice and said it was still a go. PM me for specifics on pontoosuc access or ice conditions  anything the post didn’t answer

Thanks so much!! That's all the info I need. Looks like I get one last weekend!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.