The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Safe Ice??  (Read 1803 times)

Offline Tmuskie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Safe Ice??
« on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:06 PM »
Got an Ole Codger from work that will not go out now, The ice isn't safe. With the weather I can see his concern. I need Ice to get him out on for one last HURRAH!! Becket area to Monterey area. Congamond ice would work to LOL,
There's a hole in the Ice,  Dear Liza, Dear Liza.
There's a hole in the ice, Dear Liza, a hole.

Well fish it, Dear Henry, Dear Henry, Dear Henry
Well fish it Dear Henry. Dear Henry, Fish it.

Offline IcePhishing4Fun

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Safe Ice??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:18 PM »
I was at congamond today, 7 inches and melting, I'd go back tomorrow, but wouldn't trust it on Friday.

I hear Russel pond has good ice, your probably good at those other spots you mentioned.

When I am not sure I choose an area that has 2-3 ponds to pick from, just encase 1 first pond is thin ice, this way you got back plans, maybe Otis area worth a shot.
Give me ICE or give me DEATH!

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 10:30 AM »
Got an Ole Codger from work that will not go out now, The ice isn't safe. With the weather I can see his concern. I need Ice to get him out on for one last HURRAH!! Becket area to Monterey area. Congamond ice would work to LOL,

Anywhere with elevation should have decent ice.  Edges at congamond go quick but I bet the cove on north pond will hold ice for another week.  Just try to get on and off in shaded areas.
westernmas on the finder

Offline BeerMe!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 05:14 PM »
There was a few people on the oxbow at 5 this afternoon.
You know I'm on a slick trip, always ready to kick ass!,,

Offline rogerj1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:50 AM »
i was on The Oxbow from 7am-4pm on Tuesday there was no water on the edges when i got there and there was a little when i came off. Even with the rain there has been very little loss of ice anywhere i fish. There has been a solid 8-16' depending on elevation. Ive been fishing Oxbow, Pequot pond locally and out into the berks north and south. We could have a week of 45-50 degrees and the ice will be fine its still getting below freezing almost every-night. People that are falling thru are walking where they shouldn't..... no not they shouldn't be walking on the pond or lake but a little common sense doesn't hurt..... If you are walking by where a river is entering and or exiting a body of water then yes there will be less ice due to moving water. Be safe out there and we still have plenty of time before the open water gear comes out.
" Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" 
Albert Einstein

Offline Mike6201

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:21 AM »
Well how much ice was on the oxbow?

Offline mattthehairy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • There's a beverage here man!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:38 AM »
It's a little further east but I was on just about 9" in Rutland this morning. Edges are shady as are a few coves but the main lake seems still solid. Let's hope it lasts till I can get out there Monday!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." - Calvin Coolidge

' \
                                 '   \
                                 '     \@
                                 '       \\
             --------------( ' )---------------
                                 '
                   ><:>      '     <:::><
                                 '
                   ><:::>   *

Offline rogerj1977

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2018, 10:09 AM »
It's a little further east but I was on just about 9" in Rutland this morning. Edges are shady as are a few coves but the main lake seems still solid. Let's hope it lasts till I can get out there Monday!

sorry 10"
" Two things are infinite: The universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe" 
Albert Einstein

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2018, 09:33 AM »
The past two days will have done some serious damage to ice in the area.
Pretty much all eastern waters will be done by the weekend as many are going south fast!

I fished a pond in Westford, just south of the NH border, and was able to find safe ice....within 30-40 feet from shore.
I fished this same pond the night before and had 6-7" of clear ice. Last night it was 3-4" of clear but cracked ice.
I wouldn't venture out past the safer ice area because it was cracking constantly as I walked, something I've not had happen in years, and I just didn't like the conditions.

Add to this the fact that I heard geese from across the pond, and I knew there was open water where there was good ice only a day or so before.

Seems like if I want to still ice fish, I'll be heading way up north!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Cnorkun

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2018, 07:25 PM »
Heard James Eddy pulled his shacks...if he pulled out, than you know its close to over

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.