The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ice Auger Recommendations?  (Read 2670 times)

Offline BassettBud

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lets Kick This Pig!!
Ice Auger Recommendations?
« on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:02 PM »
Looking for a advise on a reasonably priced & dependable Ice auger (Gas). Any lemons or good values from experience would be appreciated. I currently use (2nd year ice fishing) a 6' Jiffy Lazer hand auger jimmy rigged w/ an addapter to work w/ a cordless drill. It works but I can only cut about 8-9 holes thru 6' of ice. Please help Thanks.. -BassettBud ???

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Auger Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:24 PM »
We bought a Strikemaster Lazer Mag Express at the beginning of last season and have been very pleased with it. I started using Opti 2 oil in it as soon as we started it up and it runs like a top. I do not know what other do for breaking in a new auger but read somewhere on the shanty that someone propped up their auger and let it run for the first time for 1/2 a hour and that is what we did. I would recommend this auger to anyone who is looking for a new gas auger. It was money well spent, been running it like once a month even in the off season and it generally starts right up.

Offline Mugz

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:48 PM »
I have the Strikemaster as well.....very pleased with it and has been good to go for a couple years now.....but, I did see this thread recently. If mine were to break, I think I would go for this one or a Nils. You get what you pay for and if your going to spend the dough, spend a couple more $$ and get the quality.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=26505.0
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:49 PM »
I got the Jiffy 3hp last year and the thing is great. It cuts awesome and has alot of power to get through a lot of ice. I would recommend a Jiffy and if you are looking to save a bit of money i would go with the 2HP with an 8inch hole. I would also keep an eye open and look through the Want Ad to find some cheaper used ones. Good luck!

Offline BassettBud

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lets Kick This Pig!!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:13 AM »
Thanks Guys!! what size would you recommend 8 or 10 inch??

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2005, 08:58 AM »
I have a 3hp eskimo with an 8" auger.  No problems and no qualms with performance.   Here in Mass, I can't see a reason to go with 3hp.    The 2hp units do just fine and they have the advantages of being cheaper and lighter.  There is also some sentiment that the motors are more trouble free on the 2's.

Your mileage may vary

Skippy

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:04 AM »
I would say you would be fine with a 8" blade

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 09:41 AM »
you know i been thinking of getting 1 of those jiffy ice chizels for cutting in 12 ins or less ice just so i don,t have to lug the power auger. people that have them say they cut real sweet and fast. a new dezine.

Offline flapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another season, another reason, to, FISH ON !
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 10:20 AM »
After watching a few guys that have the "Nils" hand auger, that would be the one I'd look into as far as hand augers go. I wish you could "demo" some of this stuff before you spend for it and not like it.  I use a chisel till' we get over 6" its faster in my experience. I use a Lazer hand auge, but it took a whack and it seems as though it wobbles starting a hole and you have to exert more down pressure, I think it has lost it's cutting angle on on of the auger flites and is not the sharpness, I replaced the blades last year and it still wobbles.
I work all year for this ! PAID TO ICEFISH, GOD BLESS AMERICA !

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 08, 2005, 12:55 PM »
I bought a MAKO by Eskimo, and I have had good results with it.  It was also on hte less expensive end of the augers.  I usually stick with a nice sharp chisel in the beginning, it's quick and light.  Plus I like to check the ice depth every few feet when I fisrt head onto the ice for the first few weeks of the season.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #10 on: Dec 08, 2005, 04:09 PM »
2 hp 8" is fine
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline troutfinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 08, 2005, 04:16 PM »
I use an strikemaster hand auger 8 inch it does the job great As long as I sharpen the blades every year

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 08, 2005, 05:16 PM »
I got a Jiffy legend Stealth last year and absolutly love it. It rips through the thickest ice with ease, and quickly. It was a little pricey$$ though, But I dont have any regrets. It should last a lot of years if you take care of it. :tipup:

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:53 PM »
do you really need a 10" bit? Ive got a 8" nils hand auger and am picking up a jiffy this year, probally the white lightning 9", for little more then $200 for the jiffy new isnt bad. I can always trade it in next year and get a bigger one.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:54 PM »
The 8" is fine but i like have the extra 2 inches for fighting those crazy runners :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.