The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: ice shanty  (Read 2484 times)

Offline od21

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
ice shanty
« on: Dec 06, 2005, 08:04 PM »
Any suggestions on ice shanty,I've heard great things about the Shappel 3000?

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
Re: ice shanty
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2005, 09:29 PM »
I just got a Frabill XLT and it is a very solid shanty. I think it depends on what you are using it for and how many people you will be fishing with as well as how much you are willing to spend. I suggest that you go to Kittery Trading Post and check some out first and decide what is a better option for you, a flip style shanty or a house style. There is alot of good info here:
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=25515.0

Offline Mark Barlow

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2005, 04:02 AM »
If you go with a Shappell, get the DX model. The deluxe models have large windows. I have the 3000DX and I love it. Just make sure you have a decent anchor system otherwise it will blow away on you.
Love those slab crappie, jumbo perch, and always love those bull sunfish. A.F.& A.M.

Offline JigEm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Charter Boat Captain
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2005, 06:54 AM »
Check out the Clam 6800.  I believe the construction is a little sturdier than the Shappel.  Zero problems during the first season.  Bought mine at KTP

For anchors I used 4 of these on my Clam 6800 (one on each corner). Pricey but they work fantastic

Full Strike Anglers
USCG 50 Ton Master

camo_fish

« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2005, 07:27 AM »
JigEm-are they screw in and are they fast ans easy screwing in.
I have the little threaded screw in posts for my shanty and I down screwing those thing into the ice for a while, longer than I would like to.  :P

Offline JigEm

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Charter Boat Captain
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:27 AM »
JigEm-are they screw in and are they fast ans easy screwing in.
I have the little threaded screw in posts for my shanty and I down screwing those thing into the ice for a while, longer than I would like to.  :P

They screw in very easily...I believe they use these for ice climbing anchors. Unfortunately they are expensive ($14 each if I remember) but as long as you dont lose them they will last forever.  I tried the ones you have and didnt care for them.  As usual you get what you pay for.
Full Strike Anglers
USCG 50 Ton Master

Offline BassHouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2005, 08:50 AM »
I have had my DX3000 for several seasons now and love it. The windows are the best and the DX material is very tough plus the matte black color helps trap as much heat from the sun as possible.  One alteration I made was to add four eye bolts (with washers inside) close to each corner on the outside (doorside) of the sled for anchor points.  I then use some carabeners and "ice climber" anchors (seen above) to secure it to the ice.  Works like a charm and is easy to relocate if necessary.  You do need to be careful when you pack it up so as not to lose the two ceiling rods.  I place them on top of the collapsed tent and then fold it over.  If you leave them inside the tent, they can fall out. I am spray painting them bright red this year.  I am also spraying a little silicone this year on the pole joints because they do stick from time to time.  The other advantage of adding the eye-bolts is that I can hang it on the garage wall at the end of the day.  I may even add a few small caster wheels on the bottom to make it easier when pulling it off the ice to the truck.  I also figured out a way to keep my bait bucket from tipping over when pulling the sled.  I added a quick-snap strap to the bucket seat. (see pics) Only issue is deep snow can be a pain.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2005, 05:22 PM »
I just bought the DX3000. obviously havent used it on the ice yet, what would you recommend for an anchor sysytem??????

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 08, 2005, 06:56 PM »
Ive got the cabelas shanty kit, I got bout 3 yrs ago. still holds up real well and works great. fish 2 people comfortably.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.