The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: where in Mass?  (Read 10957 times)

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
where in Mass?
« on: Nov 12, 2005, 03:28 PM »
trying to start a little conversation to hold us over till the ice comes and should be a way to introduce everyone.

I'm from Methuen and go to school in Fitchburg.

Do most of my fishing in the NE and Central part of the state but make a trip out to fish the Cheshire derby every year.  Looking to broaden my horizens a bit this year as well.

What about you????

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: where in Mass?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2005, 03:55 PM »
i live in fitchburg and fish i central mass mostly and any were i can iv been fishing whalom lake derby in lunemburg for 4 years now and cant wait for ice

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2005, 03:57 PM »
i live in fitchburg and fish i central mass mostly and any were i can iv been fishing whalom lake derby in lunemburg for 4 years now and cant wait for ice

I remember chattin with you a little bit about whalom last year, we should defanitly hit it up together sometime this year.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2005, 04:37 PM »
I live in Peabody and do most of my fishing in the northeast part of mass but i want to start moving west to other ponds in the state. I also fish a lot in southern NH and northern maine.

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2005, 06:53 PM »
i live in westfield mass, its in the eastern part of western mass right next to springfield, ill fish anywhere and this will be my first full year with my license and car so im gona be going a lot. plus my job is only on weekends and i dont go in till 430 pm so i have plenty of time for fishing i cant wait this year is gona be great
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2005, 04:42 AM »
I live in Newton Mass,fish the charles,Farm pond,Lake cochicuate,Dudley Pond usually make a run to winni and champlain.HeyBig big rdg you ever fish the ponds at the old Nike site in middleton? There is also a bog pond in that town that used to be really good cant remember exactly where it is  probably a bunch of condos by now.My 13 year old son usually comes with me he is into it big time. Hope to see some of you guys out ther this winter

When and where is the Chesire Derby?

Gerry

Offline bassboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2005, 08:18 AM »
hey mullen that would be awsome when we get safe ice on whalom ill let you know

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #7 on: Nov 13, 2005, 09:46 AM »
I live in Newton Mass,fish the charles,Farm pond,Lake cochicuate,Dudley Pond usually make a run to winni and champlain.HeyBig big rdg you ever fish the ponds at the old Nike site in middleton? There is also a bog pond in that town that used to be really good cant remember exactly where it is  probably a bunch of condos by now.My 13 year old son usually comes with me he is into it big time. Hope to see some of you guys out ther this winter

When and where is the Chesire Derby?

Gerry

I have never fished the ponds near the old Nike site. Is the bog pond near Harold Parker....if it isnt i dont even now where ther eis one like that. Are there any big fish in the pond near the old Nike site? I know i good place in peabody that we can go to this year if you want. Last year we got 72 flags in one day and like 50 fish between 3 of us. Ill let you know when there is safe ice there. Goooood fishin

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 13, 2005, 10:04 AM »
BBR,
We had some luck at the nike site mostly bass and pickerel but I am going back 15 -20 yrs or so so I was curious if you had evere tried there.The bog is off of 114 in middleton thats about all I can remember that was also 15-20 yrs ago.I used to work in Danvers and live in wilmington at that time I know i fished a couple of places in peabody,Lynn back then also Sluice Pond I think? Definitely look forward to the new season and the oppurtunity to meet some new people :tipup:

Gerry

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 13, 2005, 01:47 PM »
bassboy, sounds like a plan.

gerry, cheshire is in western MA, berkshires.  body of water cheshire res. usually in early to mid february, big pike tournament, good time.  I'm sure someone will post exact info on it this year someone always does

Offline Augerdogger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Have Auger Will Travel
« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2005, 07:02 PM »
I also live in Methuen (Hey Mullen2525, maybe we're neighbors).  Fish mostly in NE MA and southern NH.  Here's wishin' a great season for everybody!

AugerD

Offline jj22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:38 PM »
big big rdg and flagfreak,

I am from the northshore, haven't posted on this board in a couple of years,but ice fish the area every chance I can.I too am looking to travel west, maybe for some pike.I fish Putnamville in Danvers for big perch and crappie. 2 years ago I caught a 2lb.10 oz. crappie there, good enough for a state pin.I also fish Stiles pond and Chadwicks pond in Boxford.Big big rdg, I'll bet you fish Devil's dishfull, I haven't fished there in a while,but I know of a 9+ lb. bass that a kid caught there a while back.
I also fished the Nike site ponds 10 odd years ago.I believe one of them is named Sharpners pond.Now there are large homes around that area.
Good luck, and think ice!

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #12 on: Nov 14, 2005, 07:58 PM »
I sent you a PM jj22.

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #13 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:01 PM »
Here is a link of some of the ice fishing pics from last year.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bigrdg1234/my_photos

Offline flagfreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:05 PM »
Yeah it was Sharpners pond sounds like we have enough of us in the area to have a mini get together during the upcoming season never fished putnamville we used to sneak on to Wenham res and get some good bass there but kept on getting kicked off  so that ended that

I am definitely thinking ICE

:tipup:Gerry

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #15 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:36 PM »
A get together would be very fun. I have fished putnamville open water and havent caught anything(only been 2-3 times) but my uncle got a nice 6lber this year on a crayfish off of the wall.

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 14, 2005, 10:11 PM »
if you guys are lookin for a get together in the NE i'm defanitly there

Offline EscapeIsNever

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2005, 04:31 AM »
i went to fitchburg state from 2000-2004.......what are you majoring in?  i live in west boylston now and ice fish the chu all the time....jk....would like to though  ;)

actually, i fish alot in worcester county...moosehorn in hubbardston is my favorite i think

NEF!

Brian

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 15, 2005, 12:16 PM »
i'm 4th year majoring in film, i've never fished moosehorn i'll have to check it out this year

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 15, 2005, 12:49 PM »
I used to live in Arlington and fished Spy pond, Mystic lakes, Horn pond and a few other small ponds.  But I just moved to Shrewsbury in march and live right on Flint/Qunsig.  Looking for someone to show me a couple of spots out this way in Westborough northborough worcester area.  I can't wait to get on the ice!!  Hope I get to meet some of you guys out on the ice this year! 

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #20 on: Nov 15, 2005, 01:57 PM »
Mullen2525 - if you want to broaden your ice fishing experiences come out west towards The Berkshires.  Onota, Pontoosuc, Laurel, Woods Pond, Goose Pond all very good fishing and always early ice!

Offline Jimmy The Jigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 15, 2005, 06:58 PM »
I live in western Ma. and fish mostly Pontoosuc/Onota. :tipup:

Offline mullen2525

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2005, 07:11 PM »
Mullen2525 - if you want to broaden your ice fishing experiences come out west towards The Berkshires.  Onota, Pontoosuc, Laurel, Woods Pond, Goose Pond all very good fishing and always early ice!

yeah I got a friend that lives in adams so i'm going to try and get out there a few times this year

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Nov 17, 2005, 08:20 AM »
I'm new to this board, but I know some of the members and lurked around here last winter.   :o

Right now, I'm living in Arlington and icefish anywhere from Maine to Cape Cod.  I only have a hand auger and spud bar, so I tend to fish were the ice is less than 12".  When there's good ice around, I fish locally around Rt. 2 out to about Orange, Ma.

-jon

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 17, 2005, 01:01 PM »
Hey Jigmaster5, I used to live in that area for a long time, and did alot of ice fishing in that area.  Have you tried Spy Pond?  Also not far is Horn Pond, there stock it with some nice salmon each year.  How's Dick doing at Arlington Bait and Tackle?

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 17, 2005, 07:50 PM »
Hey Bumps,

Spy Pond is pretty good, but freezes late and the jigging is better elsewhere.  On good days, Spy can be hot.  On bad days, it's completely dead.  I grew up in Arlington and fished Spy as a kid, too.  We used to buy a dozen shiners from Dick (he'd always give us extra) and catch bass all day long.  I've had a few really good days in early June there fishing the edge of the first drop off with 7" power worms and jig-n-pigs.  Otherwise, it's been spotty for me - just like winter.

I like Horn Pd better.  There's some nice yellow perch in there in addition to the trout and occasional salmon to keep you entertained.  Not to mention a decent largemouth population.  Just my preference.

Dick is still around.  He's always been nice to me and is a wealth of information.  Great selection and good prices for such a small shop, too.  Last time I was in there (maybe 1 month ago), he said some strange things to me which I won't repeat.  Didn't know what to make of it.  Maybe he just had a bad day.

-jon

Offline mag minnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:27 PM »

Don't overlook the Hubbardston area beyond Moosehorn "which is a niiice spot". I live in Lunenburg and hit some Farm ponds in Leominster and the RT31 area. Surprised nobody said anything about 'Comet Pond?

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 22, 2005, 05:21 PM »
Hey JJ22, I used to live in Newton, Ma and fished Chebacco in Hamilton every weekend, the crappie there are phoneminal; and lots of em.  I live too far away now to go there but if you want a heads up on where to go there I'll fill you in.

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 22, 2005, 06:11 PM »
Jigmaster, when I fished the north shore, I always stopped in Arlington at Dick's to get bait.  He is the coolest guy out there, and his dog; he always gave me more than I ordered and couldn't leave without shooting the bull for atl least a half hour with him; keep the small guys in business!

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 26, 2005, 10:23 AM »
i live in clinton and do most of my fishing  on a small pond in the neighborhood.. then its off to hubbardston, but hope to maybe hit up moosehead this hard season!
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.