Author Topic: How to Build Ice Rods from Start to Finish (VIDEO)  (Read 637 times)

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
How to Build Ice Rods from Start to Finish (VIDEO)
« on: Feb 03, 2024, 09:25 AM »
Today, I'm walking thru everything you need to build your own ice rods. This might be old hat for some of the pros on here - this is more geared to new builders that don't know where to start. Also, I'm not a professional rod builder & I'm self-taught, so some of the things that I do aren't how professionals will accomplish the same task - this is just how I do it.

Ice rods are 1 of the easiest to build, so once you do a few of them - you're pretty much set to build any kind of rod that you like. When I was starting out, there weren't as many resources online and I had to learn the hard way. Lots of trial + error, some failures. So, I'm hoping this video might inspire a few ppl to try rod building & shorten the learning the curve.

All the tools, equipment, + components are listed in the video description.

If there's anything else that I didn't cover (I had to skip ahead in a few spots otherwise this video would be 2 hrs+ long), let me know.  Ask question, if you're interested.

Check it out if you have some time...

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm new but I'm awesome! Also, humble.....
Re: How to Build Ice Rods from Start to Finish (VIDEO)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2024, 02:55 PM »
Great video. I build one rod last year and was super proud of it. Broke it the first day I went out when my snowmobile flipped due to being forced off the road from some crazy guy in a truck. Been looking to make another. What are your go to blanks? I used a MHX for mine last year. 
Who knew iceholes could be so fun!

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2024, 02:59 PM »
Pretty dang sweet - thanks for posting this!

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2024, 09:14 AM »
Pretty dang sweet - thanks for posting this!

Thx, I appreciate it!  ;D

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2024, 09:17 AM »
Broke it the first day I went out when my snowmobile flipped due to being forced off the road from some crazy guy in a truck.

Ah, that stinks....but better than breaking some bones!   :o

What are your go to blanks? I used a MHX for mine last year. 

Not a fan of MHX for ice rods (just my 2c)

Best value that I've found is the Sportman's Direct Extreme Taper Glass rods (specifically the 34" model) - you can cut that down to size, too.

The blanks in the video were from Bass Khang.

I've also built a few noodle rods from DH Customs - very nice blanks.  They are kind of a pain to build, tho - b/c the tip section is so soft.  I wouldn't recommend those if you have built a bunch of rods already.  Very good blanks, tho.   ;D

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2024, 12:59 PM »
Very nice.
Master Laker taker.

Offline CoryTDF

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm new but I'm awesome! Also, humble.....
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2024, 03:20 PM »
Ah, that stinks....but better than breaking some bones!   :o

Not a fan of MHX for ice rods (just my 2c)

Best value that I've found is the Sportman's Direct Extreme Taper Glass rods (specifically the 34" model) - you can cut that down to size, too.

The blanks in the video were from Bass Khang.

I've also built a few noodle rods from DH Customs - very nice blanks.  They are kind of a pain to build, tho - b/c the tip section is so soft.  I wouldn't recommend those if you have built a bunch of rods already.  Very good blanks, tho.   ;D

Thanks for the info. I really want to get into making more rods. I bought the whole kit from Mudhole last year. I HATE the thread winder though as the stupid thing always gets loose and I struggle with getting the tension right. I mistly fish for perch and trout and I like the 36'' length for hole hopping. Could use a couple more 28'' rods for use in my flip over though. Guess I have some work to do. LOL
Who knew iceholes could be so fun!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.