Author Topic: My Ic Fishin' Sled  (Read 1491 times)

Offline MeOldTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
My Ic Fishin' Sled
« on: Apr 16, 2020, 02:02 PM »
I got the inspiration for this from an old post from "rgfixit" whose really cool old-fashioned sled I took a liking to. There are hundreds of great, innovative designs on the forum but this is the one that grabbed my attention. I hope I got that right and missfishy was kind enough to post pics of his sled that she had saved. I modified the design by squaring up the back and adding a little in length and width. Same storage setup as in rgfixit's design; maybe a tad bigger. I got the nice downhill skis at the local Diabetes Goodwill store. and made the ski brackets out of some basswood I had on hand.
Then I decided on a winter camo pattern that I dreamed up. Folks asked why the camo? I said, "to hide from the Wardens of course"! But seriously, it's just more interesting in camo than plain paint or stain. It fits my 3 ice fishing rods and my 3" auger in the long section and all my other gear and grub in the other 2 lockers. I have Krazy Karpet for the bottom but never got around to that yet. The "seat" is a Home depot bucket that holds more gear + my warm seat pad. I plan to rig up a solid tow bar in the off season becuz the rope is not satisfactory going downhill to the ponds. Due to the size of my pics I may have to post 2 or 3 messages to include them all. This was a fun project! Hope you all had a good season. We had too much snow this year and could not get to the pond(s) as often as we liked. Not having a snowmobile meant we cud not navigate the very deep snow on foot even with snowshoes. Anyway, here she is.
Cheers,
Bob (MeOldTrout)

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: My Ic Fishin' Sled
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2020, 02:21 PM »
Nice sled Bob.
The only comment I have is the spacer on the skis my not be high enough in deep snow. The sled will still sink a bit on snow especially if it's powder, you will be plowing snow with the front of your sled.
I built my Smitty-type sled for use in the Adirondacks in NY. I used 8" risers to keep the front of the sled from plowing snow, it worked great.

Offline MeOldTrout

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2020, 02:37 PM »
Thanks Bowski. You may be right but last year snow was mostly hard pack and this year too deep to even try. Worst winter in my memory. I'm 68; never saw this much snow in my life. Climate change - Geez! :(

Offline bowski76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2020, 03:09 PM »
You should put your location in your profile.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.