Author Topic: Reel Uneven Line wraps  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Sparkle

• IceShanty Rookie
Reel Uneven Line wraps
« on: Apr 05, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Hey guys .Hope everyone is well and safe. With all this spare time on my hands , I figured I'd get all my gear ready for summer. I re-spooled five reels. Two Shimano reels of the five wont wrap the line evenly . The silver colored reel is 25 years old and has been a work horse for years. The second Shimano is fairly new. I normally get the boys at my neighborhood tackle store to spool my reels. I tried both reels several times but cant get the line to go on even . What am I doing wrong?

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Reel Uneven Line wraps
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2020, 05:36 PM »
Could be one of three problems.
1) To tight on the spool, Less pressure while spooling
2) To loose on the spool, More pressure while spooling
3) Line is slipping on the spool...put on a small amount of mono or fluoro as backing for the braid.
                                            ...if you want the braid to the reel put on a round of electrical tape to stop slip.
May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2020, 05:42 PM »
The older reel if it is a Sonora you might check to see if the bail has a line cut in it, I had one and the braid cut the bail flipper

Offline FishGut

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2020, 07:45 PM »
I think you're getting some line slip from the respooling. Do you have a kid to run the line out to the end of the block and the bottom of the spool so you can tape it down?
Nebraska certified Fishing Instructor

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2020, 09:22 PM »
I'll agree with some of the other opinions on line slippage. If this is the first time you've respooled with a superline (braided or fused) and didn't have backing or a piece of tape on the spool arbor to start that can be a big problem. Easiest way I know is to go to the nearest river, let all the line out downstream, slap a piece of duct tape on the arbor and wind it all back up. Don't even need to go all the way around with the tape, just a square of tape on the spool will do it. When you rewind keep as much tension on the line as possible and adjust the drag for zero slippage (another possible cause of the uneven spooling).

Superlines are sooo slick that they will literally slip the whole body of spooled line on an arbor unless you've taken steps to secure it. Even if your line looked level you'd tie into a good fish and swear your drag was toasted. Been there, done that  ::).
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2020, 09:43 PM »
Superlines are sooo slick that they will literally slip the whole body of spooled line on an arbor unless you've taken steps to secure it. Even if your line looked level you'd tie into a good fish and swear your drag was toasted. Been there, done that  ::).

Same here

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:27 AM »
You are doing nothing wrong.  That is normal when you spool on tight with line.

It is referred to oscillation and the oscillation gear mechanism that drives it.  What each reel uses, changes it a little bit.  What happens is the underlying lines are pushed in certain pattern and it builds up on that pattern.  It's more apparent when using braid type lines.  As braids compresses easily and is easy to bunch it up on certain cycles on the reel.  On short stroke spools, it's less likely to see it.  However on those longer stroke spools, it sometimes develops this lopsided line wrap.

Part of the reason I use a Stradic reel because it uses a worm gear for the spool oscillation.  It provides a much more even line lay over that of other gearing methods.

For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 06, 2020, 03:34 PM »
A tip when using braided line on a reel (any type) is to put down a wrap of tape and tie your spool knot as tight as possible, then use a dab of superglue several paces and let dry before spooling! No more slipping!!  :thumbsup: :flex:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Yukoner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Apr 08, 2020, 06:18 PM »
Easiest fix to beat slippage with braid is to just tie on a couple of feet of mono to the braid, and spool it on first.

Guaranteed not to slip,
Ted

Offline Sparkle

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Apr 08, 2020, 10:27 PM »
I spoke to Shimano. They told me there was a for-sure problem with both reels. Shimano is covering the shipping and repairs at no cost for both , even though one reel is 25 years old. The Shimano Nasci reel is only 4 months old. The guy was soo excited to work on a Vintage  Shimano reel . What excellent customer service.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2020, 06:37 AM »
If photo bucket didn't try to ransom all my old photos.  I did a post of different line lay on different spools a few years back.  I'm sure I still have those old photos somewhere else, but alas not a priority for me.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.