Author Topic: Lake Trout Flukes  (Read 2707 times)

Offline davise6

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Trout Flukes
« on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:32 PM »
I am going to try for my first laker through the ice on friday and am trying to prepare throughout the week. I have done some searching on here and have found that lots of guys use white tubes to jig for them. I have a few tubes left from bass fishing and I realized that I have 2 unopened packages of white Super Flukes. Has anyone ever tried these on a jighead? Just trying to decide what I need to go buy before heading out friday. Any other info is welcome too.

Eric

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Lake Trout Flukes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2014, 07:47 PM »
They will work fine on a big jig head...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2014, 08:05 PM »
A lot of different plastics will work. I caught a bunch last year on a 4 inch Sassy Shad silver/black back. White usually works wonders...

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2014, 12:55 PM »
tubes, 5" ribbon tails, paddle tail swimbaits, flukes/super flukes, and rage tail plastics are my favorite plastics to use. Any color works as long as its white  ;) don't forget about kastmasters and other spoons. golds, reds, greens and oranges seem to be better colors for spoons. my hottest spoon this summer was a hammered copper daredevle.

Capt Phil  :tipup:

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Where I fish, rainbows are a forage fish for the lakers. After marking a few non-takers with standard size ljures and presentations I switched it up by downsizing and going with pink. 1/4 oz Flutterfish and even the smaller pink Predators produced some of the hardest hits of the day. White is pretty standard, but don't be shy of switching things up. I love the Finger Lakes too, beautiful country!

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2014, 02:01 PM »
Flukes work very well for lakers, the action is great.  Similar to a tube jig but you get a nicer swing/circle on the fall.

I wouldn't rig it with a jig head though unless you have some with a really long shank, you leave over half the bait open for a fish to hit without getting hooks.

I use a weighted worm hook in 1/8 oz to 1/4 oz.  The only negative to using this method is if you like to move and fish a lot of holes it takes a lot longer to get the bait down.  The action is great though and for whatever reason I've gotten a lot more action from pike while using the super flukes compared to tubes.

Offline davise6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2014, 05:46 PM »
Alright thanks for all the help. I work at Dick's and today I went through the clearance sections after my shift and snatched a few Johnson Splinter spoons along with some tube jigs and a bag of tubes. I'll have to look for some weighted worm hooks when I work on Thursday. Any tips for using tip-ups?

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2014, 06:41 PM »
another thing... I almost always use a piece of cut sucker to tip my jigging lures. make sure there is some skin left on it and make sure you hook it through the skin.

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 05, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Agreed.  Tip it with a piece of bait.  Scent helps.

Offline zackblain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:36 PM »
superflukes work fine on a 1oz glow jighead, meat isn't needed

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:44 PM »
I actually injected my fluke molds with smelt oil mixed in, to try them on Lakers this year.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:33 PM »
another thing... I almost always use a piece of cut sucker to tip my jigging lures. make sure there is some skin left on it and make sure you hook it through the skin.

Do you find a piece of the tail or head of the sucker works better ?? Thanks
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline CHRIS 365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:28 PM »
lipless cranks work well to the rattel drives the crazy i tend not to tip my tubes like my bait to sit natural i tend to get bigger fish without i belive bait gives a false sence of confidance a good jggin cadence puts more fish on the ice for me

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2014, 10:33 PM »
Do you find a piece of the tail or head of the sucker works better ?? Thanks
I cut out the belly strip and then fillet em. So I'm not really using the actual head. if you are referring to the cuts of the fillet closer to the head versus the tail I have not noticed a difference. the biggest thing that makes a difference is the skin. sometimes i cut most of the meat of the meat off the fillet and get a little extra flutter from the thin piece of skin and that seems to work well. I guide for lake trout on lake superior so I spend lots of time chasing them.

Here is my 31.1# 43.25" from the summer.

Offline baitbox

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 06, 2014, 06:23 AM »
What a hog Capt Phil! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2014, 09:52 AM »
What a hog Capt Phil! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks! Caught over 2000 this summer and that was the best one. Caught on the maiden trip of my new Tiara as well!  ;D

Offline CHRIS 365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2014, 11:14 AM »
nice open water pic weres your ice pics i want to see them because when i fish in the spring i use meat also i like the care you take your bait but most people dont they just throw a chunk on and go i dont belive in that i catch tons with out meat was it 2000 i dont know who cares im sure 1990 were not 30s or even tens so please show me an ice pic befor you bash what i say because i have more then one that will be on here when i take the back ground out less then 3 weeks old

Offline HawgHauler

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gettin' that fo sho!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2014, 04:35 PM »
An occasional comma would help in this last post... lost me. Nice laker Capt! We were catching some nice trout on Ontario this past summer, but only teenagers.

Trying some white 4" tubes, tipped with sucker this weekend in Maine, hopefully can coax a pig onto the ice!

Offline bryantukkah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2014, 05:31 PM »
nice open water pic weres your ice pics i want to see them because when i fish in the spring i use meat also i like the care you take your bait but most people dont they just throw a chunk on and go i dont belive in that i catch tons with out meat was it 2000 i dont know who cares im sure 1990 were not 30s or even tens so please show me an ice pic befor you bash what i say because i have more then one that will be on here when i take the back ground out less then 3 weeks old

What are you talking about?  I can hardly read your posts without stopping to figure out what I'm reading all the time, it's illegible.   Syntax and diction are out the window.   And who exactly was bashing you?  Unbelievable.

Offline Capt Phil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2014, 06:16 PM »
When did I bash what you said? And I never said that you have to tip with bait but I have found that it is typically more productive. There are certain lures that I will not tip with bait as they effect the action of the lure. Sometimes I will just soak plastics in the oils and slime from others that I have caught. The additional scent is definitely a benefit when targeting a fish that is feeding from the bottom of deep, dark water. As far as my ice fishing lake trout pictures I do not have many because after fishing lakers every day for 3 months I like to target other fish but the presentations are very similar.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2014, 03:06 PM »
Just found these in my softwater tacklebox. Gonna give them a whirl Saturday

Offline CHRIS 365

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 13, 2014, 08:08 AM »
ill buy that my buddies have been trying to get me to chase eyes and i havent. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.