The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils Convertible Cordless Hand Auger!  (Read 8830 times)

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Nils Convertible Cordless Hand Auger!
« on: Dec 14, 2013, 12:20 PM »
Nils has come out with a new product in 2013 that is called the Convertible Cordless Hand Auger!  It comes in 4.5, 6, and 8 inch sizes but is completely sold out in the 8 inch size for this year.  It comes with an anti-loss disk already attached and a handle for hand drilling.  Just remove the handle and attach any suitable 18v or bigger drill (1/2 inch chuck only please) and drill away.

So has anybody reading this bought one of these, used it, and would care to give me a report?  I already have an 18v Ryobi ˝ inch chuck drill with LI batteries and would love to use it for walk-in trips instead of hauling the Strikemaster gas auger.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
Re: Nils Convertible Cordless Hand Auger!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2013, 08:26 AM »
use the clam conversion kit and the nils          I use it with a lazer bottom today and 18 v and worked great
The Clam product is NOT compatible with the Nils auger.  Clam or Nils would have to make a special adaptor to mate the two together.

Lots of information out there for the Clam product and most folks seem to like it a lot.  The Clam unit can be used with most (but not ALL) 18v cordless drills and a majority of the auger bits.  But I'm looking for anybody that has the new (in 2012) Nils convertible hand auger and has used it with a cordless drill.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2013, 01:10 PM »
I have the 6" convertible and tried it out for the first time last weekend..I have a Porter Cable 20vMAX 1/2 LI drill. Took two battery packs with me

Was out for about 4 hours, drilled around 6 holes in 6" of black ice.

Batter gauge showed full at the end of the day, and after putting the battery I used back in the charger, it took about 10 seconds to go from flashing to solid green, indicating it was fully charged.

One of the holes as I finshed drilling auger detached from the drill and fell straight down...the flange kept it from falling through :P

6" of ice took <5 seconds to drill.

All in all, very pleased, will be giving the guys with power augers a run for their money this season.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2013, 05:20 PM »
I have the 6" convertible and tried it out for the first time last weekend..I have a Porter Cable 20vMAX 1/2 LI drill. Took two battery packs with me

Was out for about 4 hours, drilled around 6 holes in 6" of black ice.

Batter gauge showed full at the end of the day, and after putting the battery I used back in the charger, it took about 10 seconds to go from flashing to solid green, indicating it was fully charged.

One of the holes as I finshed drilling auger detached from the drill and fell straight down...the flange kept it from falling through :P

6" of ice took <5 seconds to drill.

All in all, very pleased, will be giving the guys with power augers a run for their money this season.
Thanks Ice Boy; that's what I was looking for in the way of a report.  Sounds like I need to get a 6" ordered from Cabela's right away.  And I'm guessing that you WON"T be giving the power augers a run for the money; you'll be taking the money from them.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2013, 05:38 PM »
I'm from Southern Ontario up here in the great white north...and I honestly don't see a situation where I would need anything more, unless I'm hole hopping like a maniac, drilling hundreds of holes :p

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2013, 02:08 PM »
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:14 PM »
no way all it is is a bearing use the right size and bingo
Sorry OG, it ain't that simple.  Here is a post from an HSO thread that was written by one of the Ice Team Pros who works very closely with the Clam Corp.  The bottom line is this - the Clam unit will not work with a Nils auger without making a special adapter to fit the Nils auger shaft.
Bob,

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated and I will pass this onto the team over at Clam.

And as far as an adapter for the Nils hand auger, that also comes down to the "majority rules" vote. Believe it or not but the amount of Nils hand auger sales are tiny compared to the other hand auger brands out there. If a special adapter was built for the Nils hand auger then Clam might be focusing on only a small percentage of Drill Plate users. Plus, in order to make such an adapter there are tooling costs and other things involved that make it harder to justify having it done. Clam did a lot of research on hand auger sales and it was clear and obvious that Nils Master was not the leader when you look at it from an entire "ice belt" demographic combined. Now, this doesn't mean Nils doesn't make a great product, it's just that they are not as prevalent in the retail stores and are less popular amongst the average ice angler.

At the end of the day Clam wants to put out the best product for the ice angler, and feedback like this only helps them continue to design and release top-level products to all of you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Fishin,
Matt Johnson
Guided Open Water and Ice Fishing
www.MattJohnsonOutdoor s.com
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:20 PM »
Why not check one of our sponsors :

http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Nils-USA-Cordless-Drill-Augers
I'm in fact trying to get one from Cabela's because I can use my Club Card points ($130 worth) and a $20 off coupon to get one for almost free (all I'll pay is sales tax of about $10.  Unfortunately, all they have is the 8" model and all I need is the 6".  And they won't have the 6" until early January.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2013, 03:35 PM »
I paid 75$ tax in for mine, new  @) :P

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2013, 04:00 PM »
I used my 6" Nils for the first time last weekend and I really like it so far. I drilled maybe 10 holes in 7" thick ice and the battery was fully charged after less than a half an hour on the charger. I can't wait to try it again this weekend.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2013, 10:00 PM »
I was out today really put the auger through its paces....I was able to get 25 holes drilled through 10" of ice on one battery. I would recommend taking 2 batteries if you plan to drill a lot of holes.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:52 AM »
Cabela's changed their internet link to show the 6" auger now instead of the 8" they showed earlier last week.  They must have sold the 17 they got from Nils USA in just a couple of days and Nils USA told me they will not be getting any more for this season.  I placed my order yesterday for the 6" and it is now on backorder with a delivery projected in the next 2 weeks.  Using my Club Card points and a $20 coupon, I'll be getting it delivered to the Utah store for just over $10.   ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 22, 2013, 07:59 AM »
I was out today really put the auger through its paces....I was able to get 25 holes drilled through 10" of ice on one battery. I would recommend taking 2 batteries if you plan to drill a lot of holes.
BR947,

What drill are you using and do you know the amp-hour rating of your batteries?  I have an 18v Ryobi that came with two 1.5 Ah batteries and most recommendations are to use 3 Ah batteries.  I can get a Ryobi 4 Ah replacement if needed but wonder if my 1.5 Ah will get me through a day on the ice.  I very seldom drill more than a dozen to 15 holes myself.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:01 AM »
I first started out using a 6" Nills and a craftsman cordless drill/hammer drill powered by a lithium 4AH battery. I don't use the hammer function, but this one had alot more torque over the regular drill. This year I picked up the clam plate and adapted it to fit my combo. The drill was too tall for the bracket and obviously I had to make a drill to Nils adapter. Once done it made an awesome combo even sweeter. With the clam plate it virtually eliminates the torque. When I lay the auger down it keeps the drill out of the snow also. As for speed, my dad was cutting with a Z51 and this combo cut just as fast (10-12" of ice). Not a true side by side test, but close enough to satisfy my curiosity. 

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 22, 2013, 10:12 AM »
That's very interesting AR.  Could you post up some pictures of the adaptation of the Clam plate to the Nils auger?  On the Ice Team site, several folks were adamant about the fact that the Clam plate will not work with a Nils auger bit unless an adapter is made for it.  I'd like to see what you came up with to make it work.  I do think there is a certain amount of advantage to using the bearing system Clam designed to lessen the torque on the drill motor.

Having said that, I was also told by Nils USA (on the phone) that the key to reducing the torque stress on the drill with their convertible cordless auger is to absolutely DON'T put any downward pressure on the auger; just let the weight of the auger/drill provide the pressure.  I guess I'll find out in a couple of weeks.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Thats whats awesome about the Nils, no downward pressure. Just let the auger cut at its will.

Heres a cruddy pic. of the adapter. I took one the adapter I had for the drill/Nils and cut the chuck off on my cheap china lathe. I sacrificed this as the chuck piece was all chewed up. Then I cut a small recess in it on the top the diameter of the adapter that came with the clam kit. I did this so the two nestled nice and center. Cut the clam auger adapter off to length, and welded the two together. Not my best weld but ok for being dark and -20 that night. I also made the little pin incase the battery dies and want to slap the handle back on.

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 22, 2013, 09:53 PM »
BR947,

What drill are you using and do you know the amp-hour rating of your batteries?  I have an 18v Ryobi that came with two 1.5 Ah batteries and most recommendations are to use 3 Ah batteries.  I can get a Ryobi 4 Ah replacement if needed but wonder if my 1.5 Ah will get me through a day on the ice.  I very seldom drill more than a dozen to 15 holes myself.

Sorry I didn't respond sooner...I was out getting some errands done. I used a  18v Milwaukee M18 Red with Lithium batteries. It says 18v...27Wh Li-ion on the bottom. Hope that helps...

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 23, 2013, 07:32 AM »
Sorry I didn't respond sooner...I was out getting some errands done. I used a  18v Milwaukee M18 Red with Lithium batteries. It says 18v...27Wh Li-ion on the bottom. Hope that helps...
Thanks.  I have 28 Wh batteries and that equates to 1.5 Ah which is essentially the same as what you have.  Based on that and the fact that you got 25 holes drilled on one battery, I would guess that my two 1.5 Ah batteries should get me through 4 or 5 trips without a recharge.  Very good to know.  The next larger battery from Ryobi is the 4 Ah and that should last through 75 or 80 holes easy.  Now I wait for Nils to make a shipment of the convertible cordless 6" auger to Cabela's so they can fill my backorder.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:37 PM »
Would be super easy for clam to make these adapters. I know you guys (and gals) are watching.

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2013, 07:34 AM »
I had this very discussion on another site with one of the Ice Fishing Pros that works closely with Clam on product development.  The Clam research on market share showed them that Nils has a very, very small market share of the ice auger market; like maybe 1 or 2 %.  Therefore, it didn't and doesn't make since to Clam Corp to invest in tooling for an adapter that would account for less than 2% of their total market.  And to be honest, I can't say that I disagree with that logic.  So for me, the choice was easy.  I'm going with the Nils Convertible Cordless auger with a direct connection to the drill.  It is only SLIGHTLY less user friendly, but has all the advantage of #1 being a Nils, and #2 using my cordless drill for lite weight ice drilling.  Also, I don't have to remove the chuck from my drill, which has turned out to be a real chore for some drill owners.
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline anotherred

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:30 AM »
Oh I completely understand.

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:48 AM »
I have the nils convertable cordless in 6". Ordered from red rocks, 135 shipped, arrived in 3 days.  Ordered it two or so weeks ago.  I paired it with an 18v dewalt xrp hammer drill.  As stated earlier do not use the hammer function, but hammer drills have more torque.  The 1.5ah rayon I batteries are about half what the dewalt batteries are rated.  I ran 6 holes through 5" of ice and it didn't make a dent in the batter. 

Before you consider a new battery for the ryobi, I would look into a better drill. Dewalt, Milwaukee, or ridged.  They will last longer bc they have a heavier duty set of gears and and more torque.  Also, the same battery will last longer in a better quality drill, bc the drill functions more efficiently.

Lastly, I see a lot of talk about the clam adapter.  In my opinion the nils is far and away a better option. First off it cuts like a dream. Secondly it comes with and is very easy to put a manual handle on incase ur drill dies. And lastly the cutting head on the nils is specifically designed to be used at around 500rpm, which is the slow setting on most drills.  The angle if the blades are designed specifically for a cordless drill.  Using any other hand auger that is converted to a cordless drill, does not cut as efficiently as the nils.  In the end a converted auger will chew up your batteries faster, cut slower, an ultimatly put a lot of wear and tear on your drill.

Offline Kinkyline

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • How sweet they are!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 25, 2013, 09:53 AM »
   Good build dude! ;D

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 25, 2013, 11:42 AM »
Before you consider a new battery for the ryobi, I would look into a better drill. Dewalt, Milwaukee, or ridged.  They will last longer bc they have a heavier duty set of gears and and more torque.  Also, the same battery will last longer in a better quality drill, bc the drill functions more efficiently.
Thanks for the tip B55.  For now, I'll just try the two 1.5 Ah that came with my drill for this season.  And if the drill burns out, it's still under warranty and I should be able to replace it for free.  If it does burn out, I will definitely upgrade to a better quality drill.  The Ryobi 6-piece set was a birthday gift from my bride and suits my very infrequent home projects very well.  If it holds up under the stress of ice fishing as well, then so much the better.
 ;D
Bob Hicks, from Utah

Offline GoodOldGus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Hey Iceboy89,

I was curious if you had any updates on the 6" Nils convertible with the 20v Porter Cable drill?  I have a 6" Nils convertible on the way and was thinking about picking up the 20V Porter Cable drill that's on sale at Farm and Fleet.  Any updates??

Thanks! 

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2014, 01:41 PM »
Still running strong!

I love my set up. I've learned to make sure if there's snow/slush on the ice, to brush away the spot I lay my auger down , or the water and snow will freeze on the blades and will not cut. Also, when you're nearing the last inch or so of ice while drilling, slow the drill speed down, this will prevent binding at the end and also prevent the auger from detaching from the drill and falling through the hole (even though you shouldnt worry since it has a plate to prevent it from falling all the way through). The Porter Cable drill has a variable speed trigger so its perfect.

Battery life is still pretty good, although the thicker the ice, the less holes you will get, obviously. I take both 1.5 A battery packs with me and keep them in my park or bib pockets to prevent the cold from draining them. The best part about the nils is once the batteries are dead you can just pop the handle in and go manual, which with a nils is just slightly less effortless than with the drill  :P

Offline GoodOldGus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2014, 09:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply Iceboy!  I'm thinking it's going to be a great combination as well.  Just got the shipping confirmation on my Nils and will be picking up the drill tomorrow.  I cannot wait to try it out.  Thanks for the tips as well. 

Are you using the original blade cover from Nils?  I heard they are kind of a pain.  Just curious what you've experience.  Thanks again!

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:48 AM »
The blade cover is actually decent quality , but can definitely be a pain at times to put on. I stand the auger upside down so the blades are in the air and that makes it easy. There is a "sweet spot" on the way it fits, kinda have to play around with it.

Unfortunately the don't make coldsnap covers for the 6" or I'd definitely order one.

Offline Iceboy89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:51 AM »
Also, I was looking and Porter Cable will soon be releasing a 4Ah extended range battery pack for the 20v Drill...thats more than double of both current batteries it comes with combined. With that pack you should never run out of hole drilling capability unless you're running and gunning in Antarctica.

Offline GoodOldGus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2014, 02:25 PM »
I've read that the 6" strikemaster that Cold Snap makes will fit the 6" Nils.  If I can find one, I might try it.  That's good information on the upgraded batteries coming out for the Porter Cable drill!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.