Author Topic: MOM POP BAIT SHOPS  (Read 2345 times)

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
MOM POP BAIT SHOPS
« on: Feb 11, 2019, 06:58 AM »
We all agree we need to visit our bait shops to make sure they are here next year but, I've had a few recently not open when they said they would be. just a pain when you plan your morning around the time the shop opens and they don't open. We all know how far and few between they are to just run to another bait shop. A couple weeks ago I stopped at one on the way to a lake I've never fished. The bait shop, one i frequent wasn't open at the posted hrs. I sat there til 20 past posted opening time. In this time 4 other trucks pulled in and left. Who knows how much they lost in sales that morning. I know myself I always try to buy a little tackle when I stop somewhere because bait sales just isn't going to pay more than the light bill. I'm not going to mention the name of the shop because I don't feel that's a good thing to do on a public platform ill mention it this spring when I'm in there. however I will mention Bebers shot & sinker in Auburn is always dependable. Little shop in the garage, always has good fresh bait and as stated I always buy something else while I'm in there. No real point to this post I guess other than we need our bait shops so we need to support them, now if some them can just be more dependable....

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: MOM POP BAIT SHOPS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:32 AM »
I worked the counter side of one of those shops for a few years. Kind of an eye opener. First, they make hardly anything on tackle items. Live bait has the best margin followed by bulk fishing line. Often times much of that other stuff can be bought at big box stores for less than they can get it from their so-called wholesaler.

You're right about patronizing those stores. If you don't they'll go away and you'll be sad.

The other part is it is a brutal business hour wise. You can never be open too early or too late, work every weekend and holiday, no vacations or benefits and you're sure not making a killer income. You've really got to like what you're doing to keep the doors open very long.

If you're a one horse operation and you get sick, you close (maybe your guy is in the hospital). Or if you need a vacation or even just a day off. Honest part time help doesn't come easily these days either. Places like that can't offer to pay very much so there's not even many takers for PT work.

I do mom n pop every chance I get and always pay in cash (costs them about 3% or so to swipe your card credit or debit). I expect one day there won't be any left and that will make me sad.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:47 AM »
No mom n pop bait shops left here. My buddy owned one for many years and had most everything you would need in stock. His son ran it for a while after Bob died and closed it. It is closed now and full of inventory. He loved to hunt and fish and when I asked him why he didn't do either anymore he said "When you own a bait shop you have to be there seven days a week and don't have time for fishing.".
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:43 AM »
There's a great mom an pop bait store in SILVER LAKE Indiana. I do my best to stop every time I go thru that small town. A few bucks more is well worth the personal care I get.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2019, 08:56 AM »
Tough business to be in,  been there done that.  Almost impossible to do like the good old days unless your rich and don't need the money.  Thousands to hundreds of thousands in inventory aging by the day.  An online presence is almost a requirement and is more than most want to deal with.  Then you have to deal with the people.   Most are great and some are not.  Spent lean times without a paycheck and that makes it difficult to deal with customers that have no clue.  Like most I did it because I loved the outdoors and wanted to have a place for like minded people to frequent.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:07 AM »
I'm in NW Iowa. Our baitshops here clean fish. 50 cents a panfish, 2 bucks they will boneless filet a northern. Its awesome.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:13 AM »
That's a mess I wouldn't want to deal with as an owner.  Heck, I don't even like cleaning my own.  Who knows though some old guys enjoy it.  I would give them all the profit if they were willing to do the work.  I'm sure guys would use the service like you do.

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:43 PM »
I am fortunate enough to have slez bait n tackle located 1 block south of I-80 on ripley st in lake station. Open 5am to 5pm in the winter and 5am to 8pm in the summer 365 days a year never let ya down ever. They live next door just have to ring the buzzard if you go at 5 am. I believe thats a good business model to live where your shop is at. They are doing something right, he guarantees they will never close down!
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2019, 01:48 PM »
I'm in NW Iowa. Our baitshops here clean fish. 50 cents a panfish, 2 bucks they will boneless filet a northern. Its awesome.

Wow...they could make a killing in Indiana...where we have no limit on blue gill.

We have a great tackle shop by Summit Lake..Gettin Jiggy With It...has great supplies..service and good hours. Scott and Co. do a nice job of ice conditions too.   

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:44 PM »
There's a great mom an pop bait store in SILVER LAKE Indiana. I do my best to stop every time I go thru that small town. A few bucks more is well worth the personal care I get.

I get over through silver lake once or twice a season, where and what is the name of the store?

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2019, 03:46 PM »
ill second beebers in auburn.  he gets 90% of my live bait business.  got soured on bait shops long ago from a hole in the wall never being open.   

real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:10 PM »
ill second beebers in auburn.  he gets 90% of my live bait business.  got soured on bait shops long ago from a hole in the wall never being open.

Hey river.... I think I passed you coming out of grabill Saturday....

Offline shantyking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2019, 04:47 PM »
I second that Slez's bait shop is awesome always always open and have what you want everytime. I see why they are the only ones left a sure thing no matter what.

Offline Hookedup535

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2019, 07:49 PM »
Waneta's in busco, Bebers in Auburn, Ye olde in North Webster, Number 1 stop in Pierceton. The angler in Helmer, Big D's in Angola. All have good live bait and for the most part are open when they say they are going to be.

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2019, 09:35 PM »
X2 on Gettin' Jiggy.  Good selection and honest reporting about Summit

fish on,

rivereddy

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:13 AM »
I get over through silver lake once or twice a season, where and what is the name of the store?
Not even sure they have a name. It's just before you get to light on the right if your driven north. It looks like an old gas station. Not open on Sundays but have great morning drinks she will give you when you come in. I always give her a buck or two. She has every thing you need except snack items. Not really sure why she doesn't have atleast a few items like candy bar chips.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2019, 03:39 AM »
Hey river.... I think I passed you coming out of grabill Saturday....

could have been, I was there the other day. :)

thanks for the list hookedup.  couple I had forgotten about.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline fisninfan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2019, 06:47 AM »
Not even sure they have a name. It's just before you get to light on the right if your driven north. It looks like an old gas station. Not open on Sundays but have great morning drinks she will give you when you come in. I always give her a buck or two. She has every thing you need except snack items. Not really sure why she doesn't have atleast a few items like candy bar chips.

They used to be called Sells Oil CO. I believe it called Back Porch Bait now. Here is the address: 201 S Jefferson St, Silver Lake, IN 46982

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2019, 08:37 AM »
fisninfan you are correct, thank you.

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2019, 11:24 AM »
They used to be called Sells Oil CO. I believe it called Back Porch Bait now. Here is the address: 201 S Jefferson St, Silver Lake, IN 46982

Sweet... added that to the back file... I used to have access to hill lake ... have to reconnect that relationship. 

Offline Limit_Out

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go BEARS
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2019, 12:06 PM »
We don’t have too many fisheries that attract out of town fisherman.  If we had more destination fisheries that could be supported by fisherman willing to travel then we would have better bait shops. I was just at Franks and Northwoods at Sag Bay and it’s like a candy store.  The bait stores around these large destination fisheries are still alive and well.  Indiana on the other hand doesn’t have much anymore.  We are just spread out and on a much much smaller scale. I also think Slez’s is the best I’ve ever seen anywhere in the state for good bait, hours, service and generous scoops.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:49 PM »
Not Indiana, here in SE. Nebraska basically Omaha metro I think we have 3 two have been around for years. One is a guy running it out of his garage. Don’t know how they are still open. Must love what they are doing. The one I go to most often keeps really good minnows so when I go I normally buy one of the rod and reel combos and gift it to folks I know who like to fish but don’t really have much equipment. Helps the owner and helps a kid. Been buying bait and tackle from her for 30 years, will be pretty sad if or when she has to close.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2019, 01:52 PM »
I agree Frank's has it going on up there.  Real nice shop.  I think they also have a good online presence.  In my opinion these smaller shops need to be as diverse as possible to make it work.  Online presence, live bait, hunting and fishing items, custom rod shop, camping items, small restaurant not a bad idea,  Fishing Seminars, archery range, handgun range, skeet range, long distance rifles, host a fishing league or tournament, etc... Ok I got a little carried away, but the successful ones seem to be fairly diverse.  Bozarth's down near the Salimonie seems to be a diverse little place that appears to be doing well. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.