Author Topic: Introducing Trophy Strike ice fishing products and our new 120v Ice Auger  (Read 14763 times)

Offline TrophyStrike

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
That was going to be my question too. .

It seems the Redback auger videos I've seen are calling the same auger 120V and 40V...

I know it uses 120v to charge, but is the output on the battery actually 120v?

You're also saying "the lightest 120v auger" which if true, makes it the only 120v auger...

<°)))>{

I think we answered most of your question above.  We didn't release any ice augers under our Redback brand.  The max voltage is 120v, continuous is 108-110v I believe.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
The max peak voltage is 120v continuous

I'm pretty sure that's a  contradiction in terms..

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
By the way, welcome aboard and thanks for being a sponsor..

I can't find it but I posted a link to these before they were called Trophy Strike...

They look pretty dang good, especially when compared to the immediate competition (green)...

Still don't understand the 120V, is an inverter involved taking it to AC or is it 120VDC?

<°)))>{

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Is the 2 man hub insulated?  The price says yes, but it's not mentioned on the site. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok in the market for electric auger was pretty much sold on the Ion X, until I saw the videos. But I'm confused on the 40V and 120 V. And where could I purchase? Are there 2 different augers 40V and a 120 V? And guys what are your opinions and do you guys think it's a play on words?

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok in the market for electric auger was pretty much sold on the Ion X, until I saw the videos. But I'm confused on the 40V and 120 V. And where could I purchase? Are there 2 different augers 40V and a 120 V? And guys what are your opinions and do you guys think it's a play on words?

Would like to know why the 120v power head is 199.99 and the 40v is 349.99. I would think it would be the other way around .

Offline TrophyStrike

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
Good morning...here are a few answers to your questions:
1) price error on the website on the power head 40v vs 120v.  Thanks for catching that.
2) the 2 man shelter is not insulated.  Currently we only have the 3 man with insulated walls
3) the electric heads are DC brushless.   No ac, whatsoever. 
4) the 120v is different than the 40v.  Not very comparable in performance.  40v = 160 watt hrs, 120v = 240 watt hrs of energy.  The powerheads have different speeds.  40v was at Mills but I believe they sold out.
5) Sending a PM to the guys who had technical questions on the engines.

Offline Turbo jig2000

• Team IceShanty Regular
That cleared up some more questions thanks! Are you guys planning on a chipper blade for the 2017/2018? season?

Offline jerryfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
Awesome! Welcome!

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm still confused-Does the auger have a 120 volt battery on board? Yes or no, who cares how you charge it. I would echo that 9 inch are perfect holes and boots and babies don't go thru them plus they look huge compared to the 8's which are mostly 7 3/4.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
i would like to know which do you guys prefer, the 120v or the 40v? not looking to cut through 4' of ice but usually 20+''. i also like them light!

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
2) the 2 man shelter is not insulated.  Currently we only have the 3 man with insulated walls.

You're gonna have to sell me on that price point then.  I've got a Gander branded shack they sell for $99.99 that has all the same specs and dimensions as the one you sell and looks like it came off the same assembly line just with different color fabric.  What do I get for my extra $150?

On your Facebook I noticed you guys have a hand auger with an offset handle, which is IMO something the American market is lacking in since the Fin Bor III is as rare as a Unicorn around here.  Will you be selling those for next season?
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm still confused-Does the auger have a 120 volt battery on board? Yes or no, who cares how you charge it. I would echo that 9 inch are perfect holes and boots and babies don't go thru them plus they look huge compared to the 8's which are mostly 7 3/4.

This is starting to sound like another knockoff company selling hype, sorry, I'm out.

Offline CHM

• IceShanty Rookie
From post number one:

"120v Li-Ion Samsung battery cells"
"Angling is extremely time consuming. That's sort of the whole point." - Thomas McGuane

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
We didn't release any ice augers under our Redback brand.

what does this statement mean ????  I almost bought a redback at fleet farm a number of months ago.

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
"...but I see FF has a Redback electric auger in their ad. This auger looks similar to the Ion for significantly less money. Does anyone have experience with this auger? Just wanted to bring it up as a possible alternative to those who might be in the market for an electric. As a side note, I am..."

Taken from another site which got me looking at your brand. Was this a 40 volt model and the trophy strike 120 volts?

fieds

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
From post number one:

"120v Li-Ion Samsung battery cells"

Try to find those cells.. I can find Samsung 1.20V cells. But not 120V..

<°)))>{

Offline fieds

• IceShanty Rookie
whoops missed the post about redback at mills.

welcome aboard btw.

as with another post, a nine inch auger is the cats a$$. I had to retire my nine inch 3 blade strikemaster p.o.s. and I just missed buying a nine inch when eskimo still made them. everytime I lug my 10 inch out I curse them both...everytime.

anyone have a nine inch eskimo from a z51,z71 they want to sell??? for me going back to an 8 inch is not going to happen.

fieds

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
thanks for sponsoring here!

Try to find those cells.. I can find Samsung 1.20V cells. Bit not 120V..
ridgid uses the same cells in their battery packs. they maybe commercial cells. they are 3.7 volts each.
if they are using those, then they are using 32 cells.

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
No Samsung 120 volt battery I can find on the net. Seems like a simple question for a sponsor.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
they are 3.7 volts each.
if they are using those, then they are using 32 cells.

That does makes more sense to me than 120V cells (if they existed) (wired parallel)...

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I think Ion augers are looking at some real competition with these Trophy Strike augers.. Between the TS, and the new Razr brand augers, Ions are getting left out in the cold as far as speed goes...

The Razr uses the same brand (Samsung) cells as the Trophy Strike...

<°)))>{

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Razr is $499 on Amazon. You want to save a couple dollars to buy an unproven knock off that may or may not be in business next year go ahead. I just read about a guy with a cheap Fleet Farm Woods and Rivers , or something like that, hub house that is complaining about how he was told to write to China for a part he needed. I bet that savings is out the window now.
As far as the other company, who is going to wire 32 cells together for a power source? Good luck with that one. It sure seems TS and Razr are the same company possibly.

Offline Fisher Kat

• IceShanty Rookie
Welcome and thanks for the sponsorship.  Great looking website.

Offline Thearcher1340

• Team IceShanty Regular
So what you guys thinking on Ion? They sure as hell have to be looking at this 120V.  Well since we don't have much ice left this year I'm going to wait and see if Ion comes out with.  Right now I'm worried it's a new company to jump on this 120 V auger.Anybody make the jump and what's the word on it pros n cons.

Offline TrophyStrike

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
Guys....thanks again for the welcomes...and questions.  We won't be checking on the forum every hour but try to answer some of your questions.

1) Certainly not at all related to Razr.  You will find our OPE under Dirty Hand Tools (google us on the arboristsite.com we sponsor that forum too), farm parts under Ranchex, and Redback (Li-ion OPE).  Redback has been sold in 40v forum in Europe and AUS for 5 years.  We launched the 40v Redback product in the USA in 2016.  40v is common place....so 120V Redback is coming this Spring. 
For grins here is a video of the 120v 18" Redback Chainsaw testing.  Same battery is branded Trophy Strike and used in the 120v auger.

2) Not sure why everyone seems confused by the battery.  Watch our videos.  There is NOT one cell that is 120v.  They are assembled (like Tesla does, and every one else that makes a 40, 60, 80v battery) from small individual cells.  To our knowledge we are the only ones using a dedicated 120v platform.

3) Thanks for the feed back on the auger sizes....we will consider the 9" and 10" options.

4) As far as preferences of the 40v vs. the 120v.....well we think both have their space in the market place.  60% of the cost of any LI-ion powered product is the amount of Watt-hrs you are buying.  So the 120v product is more powerful, and has comes with more watt hrs of energy.  Therefore it is priced proportionality higher.  Our goal is to provide a better product at a better price than the competition.  We think both provide a good value at each price point.  That said....how many of your go back to a V6 after you had a V8?  I use the 120v.

5)  We are committed to improving the ice fishing experience.  We will have some innovations to put in front of you in the coming months.  We hope the feedback is positive! 

6) Wait until we come out with some summer time fishing products!......have to catch us on another forum!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
I like what you are doing. With the electric power heads, I think the fact you are selling them without an auger is great. You should have some adaptors to sell with the power head for comon augers. Like the standard hand augers, Nils, and K-Drill. If guys want a 10in option they could always get a nils 10in auger.

Just a heads up on the 6in hand auger your selling for $79......it says it is a flat blade. I can't tell for sure, but the picture looks like it is a curved blade auger like the lazer. Which should retail for around that price. If it is a standard flat blade shaver.....$40 is the market for the top brand. You might want to check because if it is the curved blade it tells you in the details it is a flat blade. Offset handle is a good touch by the way....should get you a lot of sales if the auger is a curved blade.

Offline TrophyStrike

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • IceShanty Rookie
I like what you are doing. With the electric power heads, I think the fact you are selling them without an auger is great. You should have some adaptors to sell with the power head for comon augers. Like the standard hand augers, Nils, and K-Drill. If guys want a 10in option they could always get a nils 10in auger.

Just a heads up on the 6in hand auger your selling for $79......it says it is a flat blade. I can't tell for sure, but the picture looks like it is a curved blade auger like the lazer. Which should retail for around that price. If it is a standard flat blade shaver.....$40 is the market for the top brand. You might want to check because if it is the curved blade it tells you in the details it is a flat blade. Offset handle is a good touch by the way....should get you a lot of sales if the auger is a curved blade.

It is curved....typo on the site....good catch

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
It is curved....typo on the site....good catch

Good. Make sure you carry it in an 8". Since it is curved and an offset handle at that price point you should move a fair number of them.....So much for guys trying to find the finbore III.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
One other tip that will help some sales. On the blades your selling......it just says blades. A lot of the ice fisherman have had really bad experiences with blades.

A few years back Strikemaster went cheap and went away from the sweeden mora steel blades and put some cheap crap china blades on the augers that didnt hold an edge and dulled quick. HT hand augers also had issues.

Not saying that you need to carry or sell mora blades, but maybe mention something about the quality of the steel used and that they hold an edge well. I have had a set of the cheap china steel blades....absolute junk made it through about 6 holes and they were dull/nicked/shot. I've had some unknown brand blades that held an edge and work really well, about comparable to the mora blades. From experience now, if I pick up blades I look for the mora blades knowing they last.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.