Author Topic: White perch vs. yellow perch?  (Read 5474 times)

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
White perch vs. yellow perch?
« on: Dec 06, 2011, 08:20 AM »
I found some white perch last year, first time I ever caught any. I'm hoping to get more of them this winter, is there a big difference between the whites and yellows as far as where and how to catch them?

The pond is about half shallow flats that are between 6 and 9 feet deep with low weeds and some scattered patches of lily pads, and the other half drops off pretty fast to a little over twenty feet with mostly a gravel bottom. Most of the yellows I've caught there have been pretty small, but the whites were ten to twelve inches so I'm way more interested in catching them!

I fish with tipups and a jig rod, usually have shiners on the traps and glow jigs tipped with mealies on the stick.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline Dull Hooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: White perch vs. yellow perch?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2011, 08:33 AM »
 Whites can be alot of fun to catch , I think they fight better  and are just as tastey as the yellows.Depending on the body of water they can get big, here in NH in the bigger lakes where whites are they can get up to 3 lbs. Whites travel in big schools so once you get a few you can bet more are around. Look to the edge you described  where it drops off to  20 of more feet. I drill alot of holes and set as many tipups I can , once the flags stop popping grab the jig rod  ;) . For jigs I use jigging raps, buckshots, pimples, tipped with a piece of nightcrawler or piece of a dead minnow. If the traps aren't popping then jig and move til you find a school. First and last light and sometimes after dusk seem best but there have been days where you can't keep them off all day.

Good luck  :tipup:

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:02 PM »
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline sbowman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2015, 07:16 PM »
 I have lived on the Chesapeake Bay all my life and have been blessed to fish all over the nation. I have done some ice fishing but rarely. I have been catching white and yellow perch and crappie all my life. The bay is a unique fishery as we catch all three in the same tidal creeks, in the winter we usually catch all three from the same area or school. Yellow perch are not as plentiful as they used to be, more due to habitat changes than being out competed by white perch. I think that all things being equal yp are the best tasting of the three with wp a close second and crappie a close third. Oh by the way we get both black and white crappie i do not find that they taste any different. As for lures It really does not make a difference, use what you have success with. Color size and presentation are more important than brand and minnows allways work. You can sometimes get all three to bite cut bait or worms, they are all cannibals. We mostly use jigs, spinner jigs and jigging spoons and don't be afraid to use two or even three or four inch baits. Big fish eat big baits and when they are feeding they will hit baits up to a third or even half their size, I once caught a 6 inch white perch on a four inch minnow. White and yellow perch and crappies can over populate an unbalanced  fishery so never transplant fish or their size can become stunted especially in lakes and ponds w/o a predator base to keep the population under control. Hope this helps all you perch jerkers out there

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.