The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Horseshoe Chain  (Read 2547 times)

Offline jyuey

• IceShanty Rookie
Horseshoe Chain
« on: Dec 27, 2020, 01:18 PM »
Hey everyone looking to get some action on catfishing for the first time though the ice at horseshoe. Not looking for anyone's honey hole. Just looking for some advice for early ice on the lake. Where to park, enter, and avoid. Any additional information is greatly appreciated.

TIA. Tight lines everyone.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Horseshoe Chain
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2020, 10:43 PM »
right now you will need to use the access to cedar island off of hwy 71. what ever you do DO NOT USE THE SUMMER ACCESS on Horseshoe as it sits right on the river and ice thickness varies too much to be safe to go on. there is a winter access for horseshoe about a mile south of the summer access off of hwy 22 but there is no parking signs along the road  there so that is not usable until you can drive a truck on to the ice. If and when you do make it on to horseshoe avoid the Meth Hole area by where the river comes into the lake. the ice stays open all year and can go from 2 feet of ice to open water. if it does get cold enough it will skim over so always be careful in that area and watch for open water or check ice thickness. this meth hole is over 50 feet of water. you could always check out long lake which is on the south end of the chain. it has it own access. Horseshoe runs into long lake. there is also North Browns lake across the road from long that is still part of the chain.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jyuey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2020, 09:08 PM »
right now you will need to use the access to cedar island off of hwy 71. what ever you do DO NOT USE THE SUMMER ACCESS on Horseshoe as it sits right on the river and ice thickness varies too much to be safe to go on. there is a winter access for horseshoe about a mile south of the summer access off of hwy 22 but there is no parking signs along the road  there so that is not usable until you can drive a truck on to the ice. If and when you do make it on to horseshoe avoid the Meth Hole area by where the river comes into the lake. the ice stays open all year and can go from 2 feet of ice to open water. if it does get cold enough it will skim over so always be careful in that area and watch for open water or check ice thickness. this meth hole is over 50 feet of water. you could always check out long lake which is on the south end of the chain. it has it own access. Horseshoe runs into long lake. there is also North Browns lake across the road from long that is still part of the chain.

Thanks appreciate the info. Will definitely be cautious when traveling on the ice. The plan is to head out this weekend to do some cat fishing. Hopefully I can find them.

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2020, 02:21 AM »
They are thick out there that is why the limit was raise to 10 channel cats with one over 24"instead of the normal state wide limit of only 5. look in the 18 to 24 foot depth range.  Here is a few good videos to get you pumped up for them :   

these were all filmed on the chain.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2020, 10:16 PM »
All the deep holes will generally have a population of fish that holds around them.  The catfish, crappies, walleyes, all like to share that same general area.  There will be a day bite area, generally around the flat zones roughly 20 feet of water, chance for some perch too.  Finding a hump or point will get you some walleyes during the low light periods. 

The catfish boom has been phenomenal on the Horseshoe Chain of lakes.  There are catfish that like to hug the bottom of the lake, there are catfish that like to suspend and chase baitfish.  The big ones will often be the suspending ones.  Anywhere from about a few feet below the ice to the deep holes on the lake.  I've caught them from about 5 feet under the ice to as deep as 50 feet down there. 

I have only used the winter access towards the south end of Horseshoe Lake when it's open to driving.  I have also only used the public boat launch access on Cedar Island lake off hwy 71 and walked out onto there on early ice.  Never seen anyone else there but the deep hole close there will offer some fish.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline james_gilb

• IceShanty Rookie
Horseshoe
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2021, 01:05 AM »
Hi guys. Desperately just created an account on here to hopefully get some answers. I was hoping to get onto the horseshoe chain Thursday night and I have never been on the lake. I was hoping to get into horseshoe lake to chase cats. The problem is I don't know what the ice is like and I work night shift so it'll be night/evening by the time I get there. All I'd like to know is if there's trucks out there, where I can get onto the ice and how far a guy can venture. Thank you for the help !!!

Offline Wyowalleye

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Horseshoe
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2021, 07:59 PM »
Check out the post on Dec 29 called “Horseshoe Chain.”  It might give you some answers in case nobody replies in time. That’s the best help I give you.

Offline james_gilb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:08 PM »
I appreciate the help . However I couldn't really find much. I may have to resort to sitting at the landing and either waiting for a truck going out or someone coming in to talk to. Not my first choice but I'm hell bent to catch cats

Offline james_gilb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:15 PM »
Hey guys. Could really use some last minute help. Looking for somewhere I can safetly drive my truck onto either Becker or horseshoe lake with my truck. Any help is appreciated thank you !!!

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:32 PM »
You should be fine to get access onto Horseshoe since we did have that week and half polar vortex.  I was kind of planning to go there yesterday and today for an overnight but since there was that rain/snow storm front coming in, I didn't feel like getting drenched.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2021, 10:35 PM »
You should be okay to drive out there since we had that week and half polar vortex.  I haven't gone out there this year yet.

Offline james_gilb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2021, 01:05 AM »
You should be fine to get access onto Horseshoe since we did have that week and half polar vortex.  I was kind of planning to go there yesterday and today for an overnight but since there was that rain/snow storm front coming in, I didn't feel like getting drenched.

With that being said what is my best bet for an access ? Should I be worried about venturing from the shoreline. Ideally just trying to find 15-30 FOW or a nice point. Again just trying to stay safe here ! With any luck I'll be able to send an update on a successful trip and wouldn't mind sharing how I catch them!

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2021, 08:30 PM »
The biggest thing with horseshoe lake is : DO NOT USE THE SUMMER ACCESS it sits right on the river and the ice thickness varies to much to risk it. the winter access for horseshoe is about a mile farther south then the summer access. going south from the summer access you will turn right to get on to horseshoe and turning left you would be on cedar Island. the other big thing with horseshoe is to stay away from the meth hole area. it is a area that stays open year round do to methane gas coming from the bottom of the lake. it is a 50 foot deep hole there.  the meth hole is not marked on the lake so be careful . it is kind of by where the river enters the lake. Also avoid areas/channel that go between the lakes. I will try to add a copy of the map here for horseshoe and cedar island :

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.