Author Topic: Blackstrap 2020-2021  (Read 67745 times)

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Blackstrap 2020-2021
« Reply #420 on: Mar 21, 2021, 02:41 PM »
I was drying back and forth to a couple of fishing spots, and the last time I was going back to fish in front of the ski hill, I hit a soft spot and just the passenger two wheels got stuck.  Not even up to the running board.  By the time other people came and tried to pull it out from the front, as we couldn’t get to the back end as there was to much soft ice to get close.  Anyway, the front kept digging in, and by time the tow truck got there and tried to winch it out from the road (he wouldn’t come on the ice), it was 1/2 way down.  We had 300 yards of chain, tow ropes, etc strung out, and when he tried to winch it, it started to move then something broke (either chain or tow rope), and down she went….22 feet of water.  Reported it to SGI this morning, waiting for them to call me back tomorrow and go from there.

Both the RCMP and C.O. said that their report will show that there was no reason why I shouldn't of been out there driving around as the ice was still 3 feet thick and there were 20 other vehicles out on the North and South driving around.  They said I would't have a problem with SGI.

Before the tow truck arrived we had two quads hooked up and anchored into the ice plus a truck with a 6,000 lb winch, with all 3 pulling we couldn't budge it.

I would like to thank everyone that showed up to help.  Derrick, Adam, Steve, Brodie and a few more that I forgot their names. 

Close to 50 years of driving on the ice, and as long as we are able to get on at the entrance we never had to worry about driving on the ice, as both the RCMP and C.O. agreed.  It's only 5 days since the shacks had to be removed.  Hard to believe, but I guess that's why they call them
accidents.

Thanks again everyone that had a hand it helping.

Offline _CWG_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #421 on: Mar 21, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Geez church that is terrible. I am glad you are okay. Thank you for the clarification.

Offline sparksNfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #422 on: Mar 21, 2021, 09:02 PM »
I was drying back and forth to a couple of fishing spots, and the last time I was going back to fish in front of the ski hill, I hit a soft spot and just the passenger two wheels got stuck.  Not even up to the running board.  By the time other people came and tried to pull it out from the front, as we couldn’t get to the back end as there was to much soft ice to get close.  Anyway, the front kept digging in, and by time the tow truck got there and tried to winch it out from the road (he wouldn’t come on the ice), it was 1/2 way down.  We had 300 yards of chain, tow ropes, etc strung out, and when he tried to winch it, it started to move then something broke (either chain or tow rope), and down she went….22 feet of water.  Reported it to SGI this morning, waiting for them to call me back tomorrow and go from there.

Both the RCMP and C.O. said that their report will show that there was no reason why I shouldn't of been out there driving around as the ice was still 3 feet thick and there were 20 other vehicles out on the North and South driving around.  They said I would't have a problem with SGI.

Before the tow truck arrived we had two quads hooked up and anchored into the ice plus a truck with a 6,000 lb winch, with all 3 pulling we couldn't budge it.

I would like to thank everyone that showed up to help.  Derrick, Adam, Steve, Brodie and a few more that I forgot their names. 

Close to 50 years of driving on the ice, and as long as we are able to get on at the entrance we never had to worry about driving on the ice, as both the RCMP and C.O. agreed.  It's only 5 days since the shacks had to be removed.  Hard to believe, but I guess that's why they call them
accidents.

That's terrible Church. Good to hear no one else had the same fate trying to help. Was the area flagged off so no one else hits it this week while the temps are lower? Might be some guys out thinking the ice will firm up this week. Any idea when the recovery will happen? Sucks all the fuel and oil will probably find its way out and into the lake.  :(

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #423 on: Mar 21, 2021, 11:16 PM »
I called SGI emergency number this morning to report it.  The phone call got answered in Ontario...go figure.  Filed a claim with them, and they said an adjuster will call me tomorrow from Saskatchewan. 

Apparently the C.O.'s can't flag or mark the area.......liability matter.  So when driving out front of the ski hill stay out towards the middle of the lake.  I am sure everyone has seen the pictures of the area to avoid.

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #424 on: Mar 22, 2021, 12:16 AM »
Terrible to hear CR. Glad you were okay. That spot can be a bit sketchy sometimes. In years past, I've often seen geese keeping small areas of water open around there at first ice. I'm wondering if this is what's happened in your case. The ice in that particular spot obviously wasn't as thick as the rest and this could very well be why. I have never came across any springs ( to my knowledge ) in the lake, but wondering as well if that could have caused a softspot. Hope SGI handles it promptly for you. Keep us up to date.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #425 on: Mar 22, 2021, 08:55 AM »
Wow sorry to hear about your truck, glad your ok ! When did this happen, shortly after I talked to you?

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #426 on: Mar 22, 2021, 01:59 PM »
as unfortunate as this is hopefully the knowledge of of the accident will help save a life. In my experience the problem at this time of year is standing water. Standing water, especially combined with movement from wind and sunlight will degrade certain areas at extremely fast rates. The other serious problems become cracks in the ice. cracks will have many thousands of gallons of water moving through them per hour at this time of year. these become vehicle traps. The ice may well be 3 feet thick but now you are seriously stuck. I witnessed this water issue again this weekend 300 km north. the amount of change in ice conditions in a matter of 4 hours was astonishing. Even with the colder weather coming I am finished with a truck on ANY Sask lake for the season. I will move back to an atv, then walking.
Be safe out there.
At least for a short time there will be some decent structure on the Strap until the truck is removed.  ;)
Splaker

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #427 on: Mar 22, 2021, 02:39 PM »
Yes Cholo, after you left we decided to go try in front of the ski hill were we had good luck the day before.

The C.O. measured the ice (for his and RCMP's report), after the truck went through.....there was 3 feet of ice.  He said other C.O. members were out driving around Friday checking people.

I reported it to SGI, and waiting for a call back from an adjuster. 

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #428 on: Mar 22, 2021, 02:54 PM »
Do you know how much time you will have to retrieve the truck?

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #429 on: Mar 22, 2021, 05:19 PM »
I was told by the C.O. that they might wait until open water, or even wait until next winter for solid ice.  But no call back form SGI yet, so
waiting to talk to them.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #430 on: Mar 22, 2021, 05:29 PM »
Can a perch feel Schadenfreude? If so, the jumbos might be congregated all around that Chevy. Thankfully, their nemesis is topside with us.

I feel somewhat responsible for CR's misfortune after I reported to him in the morning that both the south launch and north lake access were fine.
Having driven out in front of Shields for a bit, I too was shocked to learn about the accident. Splaker offers words of wisdom. When it warms up that much over a day and the ice is already deteriorating, one can't assume conditions won't become dangerous in a matter of hours. We were at Zelma when I heard the news. I expected the ice to be better there given that it is a smaller body of water. The drive on area and the ice itself looked far sketchier on the surface than Blackstrap did so we walked on. The exercise didn't hurt us at all.

Offline Gkomo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #431 on: Mar 22, 2021, 07:10 PM »
Terrible to hear about your loss of your vehicle. At least u  are safe , vehicles can be replaced as life cannot.

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #432 on: Mar 22, 2021, 10:55 PM »
Scary stuff churchill, I'm very glad to know you're safe and nobody was injured.
I hope everything goes well with SGI.

Take care

Offline kfcandtanq

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #433 on: Mar 23, 2021, 09:46 AM »
First of all, glad to hear you're safe!

I'm a bit of a lurker on this site. Not many of my own posts, but alot of viewing other's posts.
But.. I can tell you that I've learned a ton about lures, bait, times, & techniques from you all.
I've always enjoyed reading your posts Churchill, so please don't let this incident hold you back from sharing your experience with the rest of us moving forward.
We may not all personally know each other when we're out on the ice, but this site is a Community where experience & stories are shared.
In some ways, this situation is like your infamous Hawger. We'll all learn from it.

Like was said, it was an accident & that's why we have insurance.

My wife & I went out from 1:00 - 5:00 last Friday, & walked on about 1/2 way straight across from the picnic area just North of the launches (South end).
I was surprised by a few things:

- There was no standing water where we were, just crystally ice. The surface looked like it was made up of crystals from Superman's "Fortress of Solitude".
- My old 8" jiffy plowed thru 3' of ice in about 30 seconds with hardly any buildup of powdery snow around it, mostly just slush.
- It was +16 when we were out there. Later, when it got cloudy & I expected the temperature would drop, the air temperature when the wind would blow was actually warmer than that. It felt like a summer breeze.
- The ice on the West shoreline was substantially worse shape than where we walked on at the East shore.

Anyways, I'm hoping to head out (walking on) for 1 last day this weekend.
If you're out at Blackstrap, or anywhere else, stay safe!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #434 on: Mar 23, 2021, 11:09 AM »
Well I still get sick to my stomach when I talk about it......but they took me off of suicide watch this morning, so I must be getting better.

Offline splaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #435 on: Mar 23, 2021, 11:59 AM »
I’m thinking the perch had finally had enough of their buddies getting picked off and they eventually figured out Churchs patterns. Trap was set and was executed perfectly  ::)
Splaker

Offline ToonFisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #436 on: Mar 23, 2021, 05:30 PM »
CR just taught us it is never 100% safe. Blackstrap is still among the safest lakes. As for perch, they got a bit of long-awaited reprieve now.

Offline farmboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #437 on: Mar 24, 2021, 10:51 AM »
Yup, no matter how long we have been doing something or how much we think we know as humans, Mother Nature is still the boss. No exceptions.

The minute we start thinking otherwise, we are in for a very rude awakening and a very large slice of humble pie and at times a fight for your life. She’s a beautiful thing that’s silently waiting to kill you and can do so in hundreds of different ways....

Glad nobody got hurt and everyone is ok! Hope the truck recovery goes well! Stay safe out there everyone!

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #438 on: Mar 24, 2021, 02:48 PM »
Well said Farmboy. Mother Nature will bite us in the ass and kick us to the curb in a heartbeat,.

Offline EVAN NIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #439 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:49 PM »
Anyone been out lately?
Trying to get on one more time, planning to quad on. Can a get accross the lake ok or too soft?

Trying to fish the west side

gman51

« Reply #440 on: Mar 27, 2021, 08:54 PM »
Get out and get after it... lot of places to walk out on. Don’t need to go far to catch. Some really windy/snowy weather next few days maybe only 1 decent day left.

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #441 on: Mar 27, 2021, 09:27 PM »
Landed 36 yesterday and 25 today. Was able to bring a few decent eaters home for a meal. Biggest was 11 1/2 inches. Everyone that I saw was walking. Someone posted on Facebook that they watched a crack open up today all the way across the south end of lake from west to east side in front of the middle of Thode. Apparently 6 inches wide. Ice was 30 inches thick most places I drilled but some only 24. Water in the hole after about 4 inches of drilling from the top.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #442 on: Mar 28, 2021, 06:00 PM »
Beautiful day on the ice. Can't believe so few people on there. Park and go for a walk. Fish are biting.

Offline snack pack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #443 on: Mar 28, 2021, 07:34 PM »
I was also out today great weather, jumbos however were not really to interested like past week. Ice is super slippery [no cleats]  .Thats a rap for ice fishing this season

gman51

« Reply #444 on: Mar 31, 2021, 12:08 PM »
Well another end to a great season on the hard water. Had some really good success pursuing and catching walleyes at the strap again this year with some real tanks being landed. Also found some different lures not previously used that were very effective this year. Now my go to. also some Other lakes were fished this year with some success on the walleye pursuit. Looking forward to hitting those lakes again next season. Hopefully everyone had a great end to their season sounded like there was no shortage of perch being caught again. Everyone Have a great spring,summer,fall see you in November. stay safe, keep well.

Offline _CWG_

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #445 on: Mar 31, 2021, 05:56 PM »
Indeed Rip
I want to thank everyone for answering my questions and helping me get started on the ice.
Especially CR who assisted me with tips, tricks and areas to try.
It’s been a fun season and I look forward to meeting some of you next year.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #446 on: Apr 03, 2021, 09:31 PM »

accidents.

Just read this post for the first time, WOW, what a scary thing to happen. :o
Good to hear that every one was OK, that's the main thing. :)

WW
Looking for that BIG BITE!

Offline Twistedhook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #447 on: Apr 30, 2021, 10:46 PM »
Any updates of the sunken truck?

Offline Finnegan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #448 on: May 02, 2021, 01:13 PM »
It was pulled out this week. There were pictures posted on Facebook under the “Blackstrap” group page.
A woman who has never seen her husband fishing, doesn't know what a patient man she married !

Offline Whytie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #449 on: May 02, 2021, 10:32 PM »
It was pulled out this week. There were pictures posted on Facebook under the “Blackstrap” group page.

Damn I wanted to test out my side imaging on a sunken truck lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.