The ice fishing MN boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Lake Of the Woods Regulations question  (Read 2035 times)

Offline Westsideicebreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Of the Woods Regulations question
« on: Feb 03, 2020, 08:20 PM »
We will be headed to lake of the woods on Saturday the 8th and fishing in a sleeper shack out of Zippel Bay. I love to fish for pike and plan on bringing tip ups to us as one of my set lines. What are the regulations on Hooks? or bait? I use a lot of dead smelt for bait and I use a Swedish hook. my question is are Swedish hooks legal in Minnesota? I tried looking through the regulations online but I'm not having much luck finding the information I need. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to break the rules while fishing on lake of the woods for the first time.

Thanks,
WestSideIcebreaker

Offline Laststandard

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Of the Woods Regulations question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2020, 08:18 AM »
Smelt / frozen bait needs to be purchased from a bait shop and be certified VHS free, keep the label with you.

What rules apply to dead bait from Minnesota?
Dead bait originating in Minnesota and harvested under a commercial minnow license must be labeled if it is smelt, cisco or a VHS-susceptible species. You must keep the labeling on your person when angling with that bait.
If you are using rainbow smelt and cisco as bait, it must be preserved and have been harvested, packaged and labeled under a commercial license from a water body that has not tested positive for VHS.
To legally preserve bait, you must have a bait preservation permit from the Minnesota DNR.
You must you must keep labeling from preserved bait on your person when angling with that bait.
Freezing is not a bait preservation method.

Not sure on the hooks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.