Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2015  (Read 69816 times)

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2015
« Reply #750 on: Dec 20, 2015, 08:09 PM »
So yesterday, in order to try to get the aluminum rafters to stop dripping i put up some weather rubber foam strips and covered them with silver tape.

Went out this morning and started up the propane heater. Ran for half the day with no dripping. Hopefully that solved it so i can sleep in it without getting rained on.

Thinking outside the box.  ;D
Way to go, Jiggin.

Offline jimmyrig

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #751 on: Dec 20, 2015, 08:22 PM »

Way to go bud, which was it the foam tape or the silver? Or was it a combination of both? And how in the world did you think to try that? How do you think it prevented it?

Sorry all the questions! Curiosity is relentless!

Jimmy
that is thinking with your dipstick......jimmy

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #752 on: Dec 21, 2015, 05:46 AM »
Way to go bud, which was it the foam tape or the silver? Or was it a combination of both? And how in the world did you think to try that? How do you think it prevented it?

Sorry all the questions! Curiosity is relentless!

Jimmy

Psycho and I were talking the other day and we agree'd that i need to somehow keep the 2 sides (outside and inside) of the aluminum either cold or hot, the same temp. He suggested that i put another roof on top of the existing one with foam insulation in-between the 2 roofs. Seems like a lot of work and new holes will have to be drilled, so i wasn't too keen on this approach.

With keeping the aluminum either hot or cold in mind, i decided to do the reverse. Insulate it inside the house. I happen to see my weather stripping around the door and decided to use that. I didn't like the black against silver look once i put up the rubber weather strip on the rafters (not foam weather strip but rubber to help reduce absorption) so I covered it with heavy duty silver tape that i've been using to fix patches on the silver insulation, around windows etc etc....plus the weather stripping really didn't want to stick to the moist rafters even after i dried it as best as i could.

I went with the thickest rubber weather stripping i could find.

My wall studs were moist all day yesterday but my roof never dripped. That was my biggest concern so when i sleep out there, i won't take a shower at the same time. Thinking about my wall studs, I could add some thin silver foil insulation to cover them but that will be for next season. Will need to glue to the walls and now is not the time.

I set up my cot and left it in the bob house all day with the heater going, to see if i could see any drip marks, there were none. Maybe next season i'll double roof it but we'll watch to see if i need to.

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #753 on: Dec 21, 2015, 06:57 PM »
Psycho and I were talking the other day and we agree'd that i need to somehow keep the 2 sides (outside and inside) of the aluminum either cold or hot, the same temp. He suggested that i put another roof on top of the existing one with foam insulation in-between the 2 roofs. Seems like a lot of work and new holes will have to be drilled, so i wasn't too keen on this approach.

With keeping the aluminum either hot or cold in mind, i decided to do the reverse. Insulate it inside the house. I happen to see my weather stripping around the door and decided to use that. I didn't like the black against silver look once i put up the rubber weather strip on the rafters (not foam weather strip but rubber to help reduce absorption) so I covered it with heavy duty silver tape that i've been using to fix patches on the silver insulation, around windows etc etc....plus the weather stripping really didn't want to stick to the moist rafters even after i dried it as best as i could.

I went with the thickest rubber weather stripping i could find.

My wall studs were moist all day yesterday but my roof never dripped. That was my biggest concern so when i sleep out there, i won't take a shower at the same time. Thinking about my wall studs, I could add some thin silver foil insulation to cover them but that will be for next season. Will need to glue to the walls and now is not the time.

I set up my cot and left it in the bob house all day with the heater going, to see if i could see any drip marks, there were none. Maybe next season i'll double roof it but we'll watch to see if i need to.
The second  one I built had this problem. I couldn't strip the walls and strap it so I drilled a hole in each aluminum stud and filled full of spray foam. Problem solved! Other one as I pmed you about, I strapped it and put insulation in between and sheathed it, solved the rain problem there.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #754 on: Dec 21, 2015, 08:00 PM »
The second  one I built had this problem. I couldn't strip the walls and strap it so I drilled a hole in each aluminum stud and filled full of spray foam. Problem solved! Other one as I pmed you about, I strapped it and put insulation in between and sheathed it, solved the rain problem there.

Interesting idea with filling with foam insulation. I'll give that one some thoughts this winter.....

Thanks!

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #755 on: Dec 22, 2015, 05:21 AM »
Interesting idea with filling with foam insulation. I'll give that one some thoughts this winter.....

Thanks!
Kinda messy if you don't pay attention when you do it. Reason I did it is because the shack had that fiberboard like you line showers with and it was held on with plastic plugs. Didn't want to take it all down so I just popped a plug near the center of each stud and stuck hose in each way and filled it up. had to pay attention when it dryed and expanded out the holes.
Is it ice time yet???

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #756 on: Dec 28, 2015, 06:01 PM »
12/28/2015

Took the annual long ride to Dag's bait and tackle today with Tippin and Laker Taker to get our augers serviced.

As always, great to see Marcel, Brady, Pauline and Randy. Great work guys getting 6 augers through tunes ups, carb ultrasonic cleaned, blades sharpened etc...in a quick fashion. Thank you very much!

If you are having any problems with your auger, take it to Dag's and get it done right the first time. Great folks and awesome shop too. If your in need of a used auger, again go to Dags.

Just a small taste of "Wall of auger heads".....more around the corner. Not including the many news ones still in the box.

Wall of Auger bits......all make and models.

Offline Arctic Addict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flagggg!!!!!
« Reply #757 on: Dec 28, 2015, 08:26 PM »
Hi  Jiggin, where are they located?  Here is a pic of my propane stove installed.
"Hope" is not a good fishing strategy!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #758 on: Dec 29, 2015, 03:14 PM »
Not ice fishing related... but I just seen your Alice Cooper/Crue vid... Good times Jiggin!
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #759 on: Dec 29, 2015, 07:46 PM »
I've got to Say I'm very impressed after my first trip to dags..
Well worth the trip if you have multiple augers to be tuned up.
Marcel will not only tune up your auger, but tell you how he did it ,and teach you how to
Maintain your auger after it is serviced.The guy is a wealth of information and products !!
After auger was serviced off to shop to spend more money...but what an investment it was .
Bait shop was well geared up for ice fishing, despite the conditions, and marcel was there to answer any questions.
Very impressed with dags bait shop, and plan on visiting dags again !
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #760 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:26 PM »
Hi  Jiggin, where are they located?  Here is a pic of my propane stove installed.(Image removed from quote.)

Thank you Arctic Addict. Very nice heater.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #761 on: Dec 29, 2015, 09:30 PM »
Not ice fishing related... but I just seen your Alice Cooper/Crue vid... Good times Jiggin!

That's funny and Thanks 800stealth, appreciate the comment. I made the video for my youngest daughter who went to the concert with me. She's a big time Alice fan.

Very much good times indeed!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #762 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:25 AM »
Bobhouse is ready.

Woodstove has been tested and is ready.

Come on ice.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #763 on: Dec 30, 2015, 09:30 AM »
Bobhouse is ready.

Woodstove has been tested and is ready.

Come on ice.

Captain have you been out practicing? Where is The Dark Side flag?

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #764 on: Dec 30, 2015, 10:40 AM »
Nice work Capt. Black!

Cant wait to see the flag flying on the Dark Side. Means we can officially start the PARTY!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #765 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:06 AM »
So....today is the last day of 2015. With this, comes a close to this thread. Honestly, I'm surprised at the amount of views we've gotten from just one season / 1 year.

This thread is just a peek inside the curtains of the Newfound Circus and has been fun adding to it as an ice fishing diary. It's also been fun going back looking through our season with definitely some "Ah, oh yeah forgot about that... moments". Some good laughs and great times which is what it is all about.

Personally speaking, i look forward all week to getting out there on the weekends, getting outside in the elements, enjoying the camaraderie, fishing day and night, catching and not catching, chatting on the radio, decompressing, never knowing what new experiences await us and just generally letting our hair down getting away from it all so to speak. An escape from reality, a recharging of my batteries for just a moment in my opinion.

It's really important that we work together and take care of each other every season as mother nature can be a real pain at times. I guess that's what makes us appreciate it even more when she is being nice.
We've found that it's easier working together than trying to do it alone, is what we do. Each year we seem to be getting bigger in terms of numbers with the next gens stepping up which is really good to see. I believe we are doing something right.

I wanted to say thank you to all that viewed this thread and especially to those that provided comments and pictures that kept this thread alive and growing.

With more GoPro's, Drones, Phones and other video equipment, I am excited to see what we can capture this coming season.

Stay safe and see you out on the lake!

Happy New Years to all.

Cheers!

Jiggin.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #766 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:09 AM »
Happy New Year to you to Jiggin!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #767 on: Dec 31, 2015, 08:17 AM »
Happy New Year Jiggin. Looking forward to the 2016 Circus thread.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #768 on: Dec 31, 2015, 10:43 AM »
Happy new year everyone !!
Looking forward to next years ride,
And thx jiggin for putting up this. Thread..
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #769 on: Dec 31, 2015, 11:09 AM »
Captain have you been out practicing? Where is The Dark Side flag?

You know what they say M&M, "Practice makes perfect". The flag will fly when we're on ice in a few weeks.

Thanks for the thread Jiggin. Definitely some Oh yea, I remember that moments. Lots of great times with great people.

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #770 on: Dec 31, 2015, 03:34 PM »
Happy New Year... and yes thanks for the thread...

Even when too busy to keep up with this board, this is one thread I try to stay up on...

If the general public operated even half as well as the Newfound Circus, the world would be a better place.

I have made it up to 5.5 a couple of times over the past few years, and I hope to make it up there again this season...

Looking forward to the 2016 circus - if even only virtually.

Cheers...

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #771 on: Jan 01, 2016, 08:50 PM »
Very well stated, Jiggin.  :clap:
Thanks to all you Newfounders for a great thread and plenty of laughs.
Looking forward to this years big top.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #772 on: Jan 04, 2016, 02:23 AM »
How is Newfound looking? Obv probably a crap ton of open water. I'm sure after this week it should look a lot better

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.