The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Viking Ice Shanties??  (Read 8557 times)

Offline Dewy6068

• IceShanty Rookie
Viking Ice Shanties??
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:57 PM »
Are Viking Ice Shanties any good?  I have never heard of them before and I am looking at buying a used one.  Who sells them?

Offline billybass

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Viking Ice Shanties??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Dont know much about them for im a clam man but heres a link
http://www.avidoutdoors.com/iceshelter2.html

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:37 PM »
I have had 1 for about 12 years now and haven't had any major problems with it. It doesn't get much use since I got my Yukon but it does make it out a few times a year still though.

Joe

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:06 PM »
Made in Muskegon by KL Industries (paddle boat guys). I have an old Viking 2000 2 man that I got from them during their scratched and dented sale probably 13 or 14 yrs ago. It had some sewing needle holes in it that I patched up with duct tape. I always bring it out and rarely use it as I prefer to fish out in the open. With the 3 rod rule now more than ever I will prefer to fish outside.

Offline northernrec

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:44 PM »
I have had one for a few years and rarely used it...  Just getting ready to List it on Craigslist tomorrow.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:01 AM »
Pretty interesting pattern going here. Sounds like it is a great shanty to to have if you want one that you won't use. No real complaints so far ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline MoJoRisin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:23 AM »
I prefer to have more room than most shanties supply. I drill an extra hole for my graph (Fishingbuddy) and like to spread out. Now I will need 4 holes with the 3 rod rule. I have a 9" Power Lazer so the little trap door they have in the floor of those things won't handle 3 big holes.

I have put plenty of miles on that shanty over the years - just prefer to fish outside if the conditions allow now. Warmth is for wimps!! 

Really - I have upgraded on my boots and clothes so I can handle being outside (except for hands!). Last year I was out one time and literally had inches of snow accumulating on me and didn't even care! Plus when you are outside you can see what is going on with everybody else. Plus it is much easier to get up and walk around and stretch outside rather than having to pull lines, unzip the shanty door, put your jacket back on, etc.....

Offline khaaxma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:49 AM »
I had a Viking and did not like it. It was just too small for me . . . I like lots of room and I found it very difficult to put up if there was any wind. Everyone's fishing style is a bit different and I'm sure that the Viking will work well for others, but I really like my current Shappell Rover DX 2.0.
I am blessed to live in an area where the fishing is great and the people are nice!

Offline Dewy6068

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for all the information guys!  I was looking at buying one used when I posted this but opted not to buy it.  Instead I bought a Frabill Speed Shack Cub last night that is in great condition.  I can set it up or take it down in less than 1 minute and it seems like a well built shanty.  Can't wait to try it out this weekend on some of the local lakes near my home.

Thanks again!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.