The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: RAIN  (Read 8978 times)

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
RAIN
« on: Dec 19, 2022, 12:39 PM »
With the jet stream plunging into the center of the country and PA being on the warm side heavy rain and temp. in the 50s to near 60 on Friday before the cold front comes through any ice will be lost on Friday. Then the high winds on Sat. and Sun .will prevent ice formation even though the temps will be very cold . It will be a month till you can get on the ice .

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: RAIN
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2022, 01:43 PM »
What part of pa will see 60.........philly?

Offline LEN F

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2022, 03:00 PM »
Right now I would rather see the rain than 6" of snow on 1" of new ice.
I have the burning desire to go fishing although I know, that if I never catch another fish, that I have caught enough fish!

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2022, 04:23 PM »

Scranton is supposed to be 55 on Friday , 47 in Tioga , 50 in Bloomsburg , 52 in Williamsport , 58 in Philly , 47 in State Collage , it mite not hit 60 , but it could  in some of the eastern part of the state .

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2022, 05:33 PM »
Glad I don't live there!

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:12 PM »
Glad I don't live there!

The next 3 days in Johnstown are in the mid to upper 40s then a few days after Christmas a whole week in the 40s .

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2022, 06:06 PM »

Offline MumbleSEED

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "If you plant corn you get corn!"
« Reply #7 on: Dec 21, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Weather is crazy and so are the weather reports sometimes.  I'll continue to hold out hope for whatever comes our way. If you guys are venturing out even checking conditions though please remember to have as many safety precautions as possible.  I know I'll be out there checking things out shortly after Christmas if not the day after.   

Weather starting to trend in the right direction depends on what station and what website, app etc you look.  I'm not into "good vibes" like the snowflake crowds so lets just hope and pray we are walking on water sooner than later.
If only God would come down in the form of a man and explain everything to us.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:41 AM »
With the jet stream plunging into the center of the country and PA being on the warm side heavy rain and temp. in the 50s to near 60 on Friday before the cold front comes through any ice will be lost on Friday. Then the high winds on Sat. and Sun .will prevent ice formation even though the temps will be very cold . It will be a month till you can get on the ice .

I don’t know where you are, but around us (in the Poconos) there is 3-6” of ice on our lakes and about a foot of snow on the ground. That snow will soak up a LOT of rain! Sure, there will be some shoreline issues on those lakes that get a lot of runoff but I’m betting a lot of the lakes will be fine. And no way are we gonna lose 6” of ice!

Temps are supposed to plummet quickly on Friday after the front comes thru- They say some places will see a 60* drop in a matter of hours................ 😳😳😳

I won’t be able to fish until Monday due to family plans, but I am confident I will be on the ice fishing somewhere on 12/26! 😉
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2022, 02:18 PM »
I am also confident, and willing to drive, that I will be walking on water on 12/26/22 as well.

Offline jaeger80

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 21, 2022, 03:49 PM »
I don’t know where you are, but around us (in the Poconos) there is 3-6” of ice on our lakes and about a foot of snow on the ground. That snow will soak up a LOT of rain! Sure, there will be some shoreline issues on those lakes that get a lot of runoff but I’m betting a lot of the lakes will be fine. And no way are we gonna lose 6” of ice!

Temps are supposed to plummet quickly on Friday after the front comes thru- They say some places will see a 60* drop in a matter of hours................ 😳😳😳

I won’t be able to fish until Monday due to family plans, but I am confident I will be on the ice fishing somewhere on 12/26! 😉

Dang!  Lucky!

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 21, 2022, 04:10 PM »
Should be some places that fish just after Christmas, may make a trip to Tioga or somewhere higher elevation on the 26th.

My guess is that larger lakes and places fed by larger streams or rivers will take some time to be ready after the rain and warm up, but smaller lakes should lose some junk ice and freeze back up with no problem.
Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline kpoorman1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 21, 2022, 04:37 PM »

Today in Sullivan county…
skippin' class to fish

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #13 on: Dec 21, 2022, 09:18 PM »
seems like most lakes have ice on them.  Sayers was mostly capped this morning when I drove by this morning.  The nights are going to get really cold and will help the ice formation.  We need to remember, even if they call for the 40's, that only last for few hours.  The majority of the time, the temps are cold and can either form ice or not lose it.  Hoping for the weekend somewhere.  Will definitely be out some where next week.  nez

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2022, 06:55 AM »
yup, rained all night pretty hard up here. Thank god it was rain and not snow or we'd have a couple feet of snow on an inch or 2 of ice. Gonna get cold tonight so father winter can start rebuilding the ice! :thumbsup:

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2022, 07:27 AM »
Yep- 40* now in the Poconos 20* by noon 6* by 8pm and low of 1* overnight. 😲😲😲.

High of 7* on Saturday! 😎

That’s what I love to see! 😁
Where's the FISH?!

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 23, 2022, 07:40 AM »
River ice will be plowed though have to wait for it to come back down to tighten up >:(

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 24, 2022, 09:30 AM »
It was 1° this morning when I woke up. It warmed up pretty fast though... it's just under 4° right now. Making ice but it'll take a little time to build up. I got too much to do now anyway so I won't be checking anything until the day after Christmas.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 24, 2022, 11:58 AM »
Nice pic Spider! 😁

Was -1 at the house when I left this morning. Was -5 when I got to the lake. Slow bite but managed a couple medium perch and a nice bluegill. Missed one and had something big on but lost it when it got tangled in the transducer. Icehound got a snot rocket and 2 BIG perch. So a good morning on the ice! 😎

Oh, and it “warmed up” to 1* when I left at 11..........😜
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 24, 2022, 04:23 PM »
Nice! Glad you guys got on... but I still ain't gonna believe you caught a perch!  ;D

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 24, 2022, 06:36 PM »
Nice! Glad you guys got on... but I still ain't gonna believe you caught a perch!  ;D

🤣🤣🤣
Where's the FISH?!

Offline kautz88

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 28, 2022, 11:06 AM »
This weather sucks mid forty’s next seven days…ice that we have will take a beating where is the cold?

Offline deer george

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 28, 2022, 03:18 PM »
Seems like it happens every year, just have to Waite a little longer after this next warm spell, it's coming, be safe .... 

Offline BIGDEERHUNTER63

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 02, 2023, 01:20 PM »
RAIN AND 49S AND 50S

Offline fishon814

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2023, 07:32 AM »
RAIN AND 49S AND 50S

Sooner or later your bound to be right! ;D

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2023, 08:58 PM »
62 here in western pa same tomorrow 58 as i type
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 04, 2023, 08:25 PM »
62 again here in western pa temps staring to drop wind is kickin up a bad sign if the lake opens up  :'(  oh well its winter fo 3 mo months
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2023, 09:48 PM »
it was 51 degrees today and a astrological anomaly there was this huge fire ball in the sky  ::) :o it hurt to look at it any one else see it? @)
GOG BLESS
mo
no rain

Offline Ice_Surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2023, 07:16 AM »
it was 51 degrees today and a astrological anomaly there was this huge fire ball in the sky  ::) :o it hurt to look at it any one else see it? @)
GOG BLESS
mo
no rain

Yes, saw it briefly. Magnificent. Sadly. Gone again in SE PA.

Offline PAFishFiend

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2023, 10:17 AM »
Wider look at radar shows a pretty consistent jet stream coming straight across the North American continent. That means temps in the 40s  and off and on rain for most of PA for quite a while. Should see some really cold nights in the northern part of the state and in some high elevations, so there will likely be some fishable ice at places like Hills Creek (Tioga County) and Black Moshannon (Centre County) that don't have much inflow from streams.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.